Author Topic: Watches  (Read 8822 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Watches
« on: June 14, 2012, 01:54:16 AM »
If you wear a watch, what do you wear?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Watches
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 01:58:25 AM »
Timex Ironman. I replace every 4-5 years when the battery and illumination starts crapping out. Haven't managed to kill one through physical abuse yet.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 02:05:37 AM »
I used to wear an analog Timex Expedition. I stopped wearing it after the night light crapped out (I think something gummed up the mechanism and I couldn't get it apart to clean it) and I found it redundant as my cell phone has a time readout, so I never bothered replacing it.

Last time I checked it was still working and kept correct time, though. I think I've had it for 5 or 6 years.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:14:40 AM »
Freestyle Hammerhead.The only concession to fashion I will ever make is a well-made watch. Have seriously considered a Rolex Oyster perpetual as something I can pass down. Dad"s blue faced Seiko and matching star sapphire ring are basically worthless, except to me. Last time it broke, I had to send it back to Japan...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:27:07 AM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 02:40:44 AM »
I found it redundant as my cell phone has a time readout, so I never bothered replacing it.

That's something I just cannot get in the habit of. I need to have a timepiece on my wrist vs. something in my pocket plus my shitty cell phone is always switching to a completely wrong time zone so it's worthless as a timepiece.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 03:50:17 AM »
Zenith elite on the off hours, I like oddball brands.  Wear a Ti sea master for work most days.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 03:52:02 AM »
I got a Humvee watch last year for no other reason than they were on sale at the place I was at, and it has a Great Big White Face and Great Big Black Analog Numbers and Great Big Visible Hands and it was a Great Big Nineteen Bucks.

Funny, though.  I can't leave the house without wearing a wrist watch --I miss it as soon as I lock the door, and I can't stand being in the house with it on.  Go figure.

The watch before that was a Casio "Atomic Watch" which I loved, but when the battery died, I gave it away.  It was fun, but like I really needed to know the time within a fraction of a second.  Riiiight.

I just checked the Humvee and it is a whole nine seconds fast after, I dunno, six or seven months, maybe eight.  Like I really need to know within a fraction of a month.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:18:39 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 04:57:39 AM »
Freestyle Hammerhead.The only concession to fashion I will ever make is a well-made watch. Have seriously considered a Rolex Oyster perpetual as something I can pass down. Dad"s blue faced Seiko and matching star sapphire ring are basically worthless, except to me. Last time it broke, I had to send it back to Japan...

Have you thought about a grand seiko?  Those models are Rolex quality, and might provide a neat link to your dad's watch.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 05:46:09 AM »
Casio G-Shock, the basic model. It's the second one I've owned. The 1st I bought in 1988, the battery lasted 11 years. It was still running long after the band and rubber armor had fallen apart. I went several years with various Timex analogs and a couple years just using the cell phone clock but got the new Casio when I started working nights again, easier to check time with it than dragging the cell phone out.
The new G-Shock looks identical to what the old one did but the bezel is noticeably lighter and the alarm is not as loud. I could use the old Casio for an alarm clock, this one I can't hear unless I hold it up to my ear. My wife's says she can hear it beep the hour from the other room but I think she is pulling my leg.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 05:50:42 AM »
My only "expensive" watch is a Seiko Quartz Chronograph Titanium Sports 100 I bought during a big sale at Target almost 30 years ago - I still remember it listed for $595, bought for $99, which seemed like a pretty good deal. It won't impress someone who buys Rolex or other "fine" watches, but it's never been off by more than a few seconds when we go on or off daylight savings time.

Otherwise for daily wear I have a Casio WaveCeptor which synchronizes with WWV, an old G-Shock, and a Timex Ironman, all purchased for between $35 and 98 cents.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 06:11:52 AM »
I wear a Seiko Orange Monster most of the time, or a Citizen Nighthawk when I'm dressing up a little.  I love the Seiko.  I'm not really a Rolex guy, but one day I'd like to have a nice Omega or Doxa watch.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 06:15:43 AM »
I forgot about the Rolex. Dad bought my brother and I each one when he was in Mexico a few years ago.
For $25 it almost has to genuine right?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 06:23:24 AM »
Vostok-Europe Gaz14 with tritium hands/dials.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 06:58:56 AM »
Either a customized Seiko Orange Monster (bought it new 8 years ago) or a Casio G-Shock for yardwork, hunting, etc.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 07:54:11 AM »
Cheapo timex Expedition analog, with dead backlight.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:25:34 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 09:14:42 AM »
Citizen Eco-Drive titanium with Roman dial.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »
I have a Seiko Kinetic that I have had for a few years now.  Works great and there are people locally who can replace batteries and such.  I do want to get a Gshock or something like that for work or exercise though.

I used to wear no watch for the longest time, but I find I like wearing one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 10:01:59 AM »
Traser p6600 automatic. Damn tough watch.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
I currently do not wear a watch unless I am going hunting.  Some of the places I hunt have cell coverage and an incoming call at an inopportune time would be embarrassing.  My cell phone is my watch on a daily basis.

When I do wear one it is a cheap timex analog expedition, same as others have mentioned.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »
I currently do not wear a watch unless I am going hunting.  Some of the places I hunt have cell coverage and an incoming call at an inopportune time would be embarrassing.  My cell phone is my watch on a daily basis.

When I do wear one it is a cheap timex analog expedition, same as others have mentioned.

Actually, my cellphone IS why I want a watch again. The hassle of getting it out, and thumbing it on, then tracing my security shape on the screen is a PITA for a 1 second thing, checking the time.

Saving up for this currently: http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNAD05-Flight-Computer-Silver-Tone/dp/B0028RYT28/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I34OKGBVRHODR1&colid=3FTYOCA90IS8G

The more hash-marks, sub-dials and gee-gaws a watch has, the more I like it, generally speaking, even if I never use them.  :laugh:

However it's slow going, since it's a non-critical expense, I'm saving up by earning money on Amazon Mechanical Turk's crowd-sourcing site a buck or two at a time, taking surveys, or sorting info that machines/software aren't quite yet good at. I'm about 1/3rd of the way there.
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »
RoadKingLarry:

The new G-Shock looks identical to what the old one did but the bezel is noticeably lighter and the alarm is not as loud. I could use the old Casio for an alarm clock, this one I can't hear unless I hold it up to my ear. My wife's says she can hear it beep the hour from the other room but I think she is pulling my leg.

I don't think she's pulling your leg.  I can't hear a digital multimeter beep when I'm testing continuity, but my son can hear it across the room.

This Rolex stuff reminds me of the story of the four college roomates who went in together on an expensive Rolex for dating purposes.  Whoever went out trolling on the weekend would get to wear it.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbycusis

ETA: I just thought of a new word, a portmanteau:

Horology = study of timekeeping.
Pheromone = hormonal attractant for the opposite sex.
Hence:
Horomone = Rolex watch.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:28:16 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »
Actually, my cellphone IS why I want a watch again. The hassle of getting it out, and thumbing it on, then tracing my security shape on the screen is a PITA for a 1 second thing, checking the time.

Saving up for this currently: http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNAD05-Flight-Computer-Silver-Tone/dp/B0028RYT28/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I34OKGBVRHODR1&colid=3FTYOCA90IS8G

The more hash-marks, sub-dials and gee-gaws a watch has, the more I like it, generally speaking, even if I never use them.  :laugh:

However it's slow going, since it's a non-critical expense, I'm saving up by earning money on Amazon Mechanical Turk's crowd-sourcing site a buck or two at a time, taking surveys, or sorting info that machines/software aren't quite yet good at. I'm about 1/3rd of the way there.

Even when locked, my phone shows the current date and time  ;)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 01:37:01 PM »
I have a Seiko Black Monster my wife bought, but I find that if I take it off to sleep at night it gets slow in the morning, and if I put it on the watch winder dealie for more than a day or so it does the same. :/ I really like the idea of a watch that's powered through movement, but it's just proven to be a hassle. My winder is broken and I'm reluctant to spring for another.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 01:37:55 PM »
Even when locked, my phone shows the current date and time  ;)

Same here. DROID X, Verizon.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »
I have a Seiko Black Monster my wife bought, but I find that if I take it off to sleep at night it gets slow in the morning, and if I put it on the watch winder dealie for more than a day or so it does the same. :/ I really like the idea of a watch that's powered through movement, but it's just proven to be a hassle. My winder is broken and I'm reluctant to spring for another.

That's odd because mechanical watches tend to run faster as they wind down.  I've adjusted it a few times, but can't seem to get it "just right".  Mind tends to run fast and pick up a couple minutes a month.  Because I'd rather be early than late, I live with it. 

They're easy to adjust if you want to give that a try.  Get the tool for removing the back, then give the tiny lever a nudge in the appropriate direction.

Chris