Author Topic: Voyager 1 Exiting Our Interstellar Space  (Read 1639 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Voyager 1 Exiting Our Interstellar Space
« on: June 16, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »
I thought this was really cool. Voyager 1 launched when I was a teenager. Now it's the first manmade object to exit the solar system.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2159359/Humanity-escapes-solar-Voyager-1-signals-reached-edge-interstellar-space.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Voyager 1 Exiting Our Interstellar Space
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »
Great....now the aliens will know we're here.....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »
Think of all the money wasted that could have been better spent on welfare programs.

:rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »

Those who find this will probably dismiss it as some kind of religious talisman and forget it:

Like the "Venus of Willendorf," which has been touted as the earliest known representation of the Earth Mother... when it's probably just a pottery caricature of somebody's Mother-in-Law:

http://www.eternalsymbols.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/venus-willendorf.jpg

Terry, 230RN

REF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1#Golden_record
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 03:33:23 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 03:25:01 PM »
Now it's the first manmade object to exit the solar system.

Pioneer 10 and 11 already exited the solar system.  They launched years before the Voyager probes.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 05:58:34 PM »
We need to get into the WayBack Machine, reverse the polarity, and stop the launch of Voyager 6.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/V'Ger

The heart of V'Ger

The center contained the oldest part of V'Ger – Voyager 6, an unmanned space probe launched by NASA in the late 20th century. The entire vessel surrounding the Voyager probe was built by an unknown race of machine entities in order to help it complete what the latter interpreted to be its primary programming: "learn all that is learnable," and return that knowledge to its creator. During its journey, the probe came to think of itself as V'Ger after the only remaining legible letters from its original name (the "O", "Y", "A" and "6" on the nameplate being obscured from encounters with previous spatial hazards) and amassed knowledge to such a degree as to become self-aware.

I would not mind if there were some alien overlords to welcome, but I refuse to be assimilated with some of you clowns.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »
Pioneer 10 and 11 already exited the solar system.  They launched years before the Voyager probes.

The Voyagers are moving faster, having gotten more grav-assists from passing more planets. And the Pioneers are going more in the direction of the "tail" of the heliopause, while the Voyagers are going more towards the bow-shock or "head".
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »
Pioneer 10 and 11 already exited the solar system.  They launched years before the Voyager probes.

They may have launched first, but this diagram suggests that they haven't made it out yet:

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 11:13:50 PM »

And no, calling it the "Heliosheath" doesn't make it any better...
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 11:39:45 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 11:47:39 PM »
Penetration, however slight...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 09:01:32 PM »
same deferens
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 06:33:33 AM »
Well if the aliens find the thing they will show up here demanding to speak to Jimmy Carter, not good. Hopefully they will detect stray signals of reality TV and continue on by us, correctly concluding that there is no intelligent life here.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 07:31:54 AM »

Depends on your definition of solar system.  None have reached the outer Oort cloud (the outermost objects gravitationally bound to Sol), but all have past Neptune.  In this case, they are treating the heliopause (where the ambient particles change from those from the sun to those of galactic origin) as the boundary of concern.

So you can use a few definitions of the boundary of the solar system:
Past the last planet (Neptune)
Past the last gravitationally bound object
Transition into a galactic-dominated medium from a sol dominated one
Etc.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »
Not surprising, but I have that shirt :)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 07:44:56 PM »
Me too. I love Thinkgeek. :)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
I also love Futurama.  :lol: