Author Topic: World Cup? What World Cup? Now the World Series...  (Read 14037 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
World Cup? What World Cup? Now the World Series...
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2006, 04:27:02 PM »
It's no wonder Ronaldinho always has a smile on his face.  He's getting so much verbal fellatio, he can't help but smile.  I only got to see the fisrt half of Brazil v Croatia and except for the goal, which was a good one, he and his teammates looked little better than Croatia.  To hear everyone talk about them, you'd think FIFA would just go ahead and give them the trophy and dispense with the formalities of actually playing the games.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2006, 04:30:28 AM »
Hey there,

Couldn't help it !
Enjoy the Fussball !

http://www.worldcupblog.org/commercials/worst-world-cup-commercial-is-a-hit.html

We're crazy over here in France over the World cup but sucked badly yesterday
against Switzerland. Hey Ian (St. Johns) do some converting here with the yanks.

Kick off,

Laurent
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2006, 09:09:14 AM »
The wifes half german so we're sitting down for the germany poland game in a sec. I am stroking my polish flag and wonder how hard she'll hit me if I brandish it.

From a soccer hating perspective, .45 or 9mm for footballs? Smiley
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

Iain

• friend
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2006, 02:34:24 PM »
Dannyboy - I agree that Brazil were not great, but I expect we'll see them turn it on at some point. Personally I think the reason Ronaldinho always has a smile on his face is because most of the time it all comes so easily to him. The goal against Chelsea year before last is a case in point - the man knows how good he is. He's already won pretty much everything, as long as he wins a few more things here and there and plays his heart out every now and again his place as a legend is secured.

Now - how 'bout them Spaniards eh? Will the underachievers make good? 4-0 was a bit of a drubbing, and they have some good good players.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2006, 10:43:31 AM »
Well, 10-20 minutes of good play from England was an improvement on their first game.  Could still be better.  Much better.  Crouch blew a few good chances, which is disappointing but encouraging as well because in the last game he never had any chances.  And then there were Rooney and Lennon.  That Lennon kid was pretty damn good.  First time I've seen him play.  Impressive.  It was a good game but England need to up their game a bit.  Since they're already through to the next round, I'd like to see Rooney start over Owen but Sven seems to be stuck on Owen.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2006, 01:02:05 PM »
Owen has damaged his chances of being a starter, especially after he fluffed the chance that resulted from Lampard's first half shot. Assuming that Rooney is fit enough for 90mins I'm hoping that Crouch and Rooney start. Rooney offers so much more all over the pitch, he drops deep back into midfield and is a presence when England don't have the ball, Owen doesn't do either of those things.

Lennon impressed me. He's quick and he's got a good brain, I can see why he was taken ahead of Shaun Wright-Phillips. Downing was good tonight too. I was initially sceptical about a three man defence that featured Ashley Cole when the other option was to leave Carragher on the pitch, but he performed well.

This was an improvement, but more improvement will be needed against Sweden and more again for the possible match against Germany. On the subject of Germany, their final group match may prove interesting.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »
Quote from: Iain
On the subject of Germany, their final group match may prove interesting.
That might be an understatement.  Ecuador has played really well.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2006, 09:02:48 PM »
Speaking of playing really well.  How about them Argies?  Wow, 6-0!  Never saw that coming.  Not that S&B are a great team but that's pretty bad.  Holland played fairly well.  I think they might have let up a bit too much after going up 2-0 but they defended well.  Sort of.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2006, 11:22:52 AM »
Italy vs. USA

Good first half so far, score is 1 : 1, US after two fouls with only 9 players left, Italy scored two goals, one for  each team :-).
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2006, 12:02:03 PM »
Great match !

The Americans fought like lions !
Keller is a great keeper he just kicks the ball way too far into the other field, where no one is there yet. He reminds me of Lawrence Block's Hitman, Bocanegro (spl)
is really there, Beasley who came late shot a great goal, it's a shame it didn't count because the Italian was still on the ground, all in all one of the best games of the world cup so far ! There is still hope !
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2006, 12:48:02 PM »
It was a great game despite the officiating.  The ref called everything for the first half and then called nothing in the second half.  Except to show Pope another card.  If the US had played like that against the Czechs, they might be leading the group.  The Ghana win was amazing.  That helped the US tremendously.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2006, 02:04:42 PM »
The red cards seem to have been deserved. It wasn't a pretty two footed challenge and all the players knew that bad slide tackles were going to be clamped down on, especially when studs are shown. McBride was bleeding a little too, one of the British pundits had less than polite words to say about the player who elbowed him.

There was plenty to see today if you like goalkeepers. Cech battled well, Keller was awesome at times and the Ghanian keeper made some very good saves.

Couple of the American players look very useful. Too bad it seems they'll only play one more game.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2006, 04:15:13 PM »
I don't think Mastroeni's red was deserved.  He should have gotten a yellow, definitely.  He did get ball.  And Pope's first yellow was a bad call.  If anything, the Italian should have gotten a card for diving.  I don't think Pope even touched him.  The others were well deserved.  My problem was that the ref just stopped calling fouls in the second half.  Not very consistent at all.  As for the US playing only one more game, I'm not so sure.  They played well enough to beat Italy today.  I think they can beat Ghana.  If they do and Italy beats the Czech Republic, the US will go through.  It's wide open now.  Of course, it will be harder without those two guys that got red cards today.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2006, 06:01:59 PM »
Ian,

another message board I frequent has a thread about the cup, and one of the fellows commenting in the thread (Carmelo) is an Italian who has played pro-soccer and was a coach in our (Dallas) area. He considers himself just as much American as Italian. I thought you might enjoy looking in on the thread.

And yes, I am a little embarrassed by the tone of the local posters, but then if we didn't have the whole John Wayne bravado thing going I guess we wouldn't be truly American, so I guess I'm not too embarrassed.

http://dallasdigest.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=17143&forum_id=2&jump_to=301411
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2006, 10:41:09 AM »
OK, Joe Cole just scored the best goal of the World Cup, so far.  Amazing.  England have also played muched better than their previous two games.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2006, 12:03:55 PM »
It was an impressive goal, and a better England performance. It'll be on youtube shortly I'd imagine.

But I bet they are going to be practicing set pieces an awful lot for the next few days. Should have won that match, but 2-2 was good enough. England seem to always be good enough, but can they up their good enough to be good enough to beat Argentina?

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »
I just watched the second half.  Oh boy, that was not so good.  There were a few bright spots but Sweden was playing aggressive defense, pressuring the ball constantly.  The second Sweden goal was the worst thing I have seen during this World Cup.  Worse than any one of the own-goals.  Embarrassing stuff.  I was impressed with Joe Cole, though.  This despite me earlier statement of him being overrated.  He played very well and that first goal was just amazing.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2006, 10:35:47 PM »
I'm not sure that it was quite as bad as Korea's goal against France. But it was bad.

There are also the injuries and knocks picked up during the game to worry about. Ferdinand came off, and it looks like the goal was partly the responsibility of his replacement, Campbell. Rooney didn't look like he had the legs for 90 mins and came off. And then there is Owen, not to be unpleasant, but it may not be so bad that he is injured, but that injury might just be really really bad and I hope it isn't.

Also - Public Apology to Owen Hargreaves. Without being spectacular he did a good job last night. Five in midfield with him performing that role might allow both Gerrard and Lampard to get forward, and if that can happen there is hope.

Joe Cole goal - http://youtube.com/watch?v=3REaqc8jpRw Really is worth watching. Promise.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2006, 02:05:58 AM »
Time to dig this up.

Argentina are out. I know they made some errors last night, but I mourn their passing. Still, England play later, they can beat this Portugal team, but they're going to have to play a lot better than they have been.

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2006, 01:35:35 PM »
oh BALLS!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2006, 03:13:05 PM »
Balls that this thread is back, or balls that England didn't beat that Portugal team?

I'm over it now, but it wasn't pleasant back there for a while. Gutted to lose like that.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2006, 04:07:52 AM »
Quote from: Iain
Balls that this thread is back, or balls that England didn't beat that Portugal team?

I'm over it now, but it wasn't pleasant back there for a while. Gutted to lose like that.
After watching Portugal play Holland and England, I think I just might have to stop watching football altogether.  They were an absolute embarrassment, falling over like they got shot at the slightest touch.  They made the Germans look like amateurs.  I can't believe that the ref didn't give any cards for diving.  I thought they were supposed to be trying to cut down on that.  They really gave the sport a bad name, I think.  It really sucks that England lost to that bunch of candy-ass pansies.

I also don't see Cristiano Ronaldo having much of a future in Manchester.

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2006, 09:37:23 AM »
Oh balls that we lost and played badly to boot.

Diving, cheating gits. I'm rooting for the germans now, god forbid the french get through and win it. We'd never here the end of it.

latin teams just seem to enjoy the naughty side of the game. I hope that guy's nut's still hurt. Yes I know it's only sport but they aren't sporting.

Germany france in the final, who'd have thought it?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2006, 09:50:17 AM »
We might not hear the end of it, but the French are the best footballing team left. They outplayed Brazil. I know that I don't want the Italians to win, and I used to be a big fan of Portugese football but no more, so I'm with you in hoping for a Germany/France final.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2006, 04:33:46 PM »
Germany/France would be a great game.  After that Italian guy dove in the box to get that penalty in the 90something minute, I don't want to see them win.  Since my vacation in Nice has changed my opinion of the French, I think I'd like to see them win.  I'm just amazed at how much they have turned things around over the course of this World Cup.  Who would have thought they'd be in the semis after their first two games?