Author Topic: GD, it's hot.  (Read 24260 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: GD, it's hot.
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2012, 09:53:51 AM »
It's so freaking hot the wasps aren't even out. The birds aren't even out. There aint *expletive deleted* out.

103-105 in the Milwaukee area yesterday.

At 5:30 when I stepped outside to leave work, it was eerily quiet. You don't realize how much background noise bugs and birds generate until it's gone. The lack of road traffic due to people making 5-day weekends out of the 4th falling on a Wednesday added to the quiet as well.

And I don't know if the air was thinner or what, but the shotgun club that abuts our business park, the reports were unusually thin and distant sounding, the sound wasn't carrying as well either.
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2012, 12:53:57 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2012, 01:04:20 PM »
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »
103-105 in the Milwaukee area yesterday.

Hehe.
I don't have air conditioning in my car, So I drive with my windows down.
I usually get some good extremity cooling by sticking my arm out the window.
Yesterday, I kept my arm inside, the air felt like it came out of a blow dryer even at 70 mph. :O
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »
I've been working outside most of this past week. I'm taking it very slowly, drinking LOTS, and going inside requently, but it's still incredibly hot. Yesterday after I was done working I took a 20 minute cold shower and when I got out I still felt hot.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 101 in central Pennsylvania.

Scorching is in the word I'd use.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »
98° with the index at 101°

Tommorrows high 102°

Seriously, it's winter down in antartica. Who wants to chip in for an APS vacation house?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2012, 05:39:02 PM »
Seriously, it's winter down in antartica. Who wants to chip in for an APS vacation house?
I'm game
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2012, 06:27:25 PM »
I road my bike to work today; people told me I was freakin' crazy.  (I figured that out myself about a half a mile into it.)  I just got back home a few minutes ago, stripped, and took a cool shower.  I thought it was a couple of degrees cooler today than it was Monday and Tuesday, but the dewpoint must have been higher today.

A cool front is supposed to move thru here tonight.

I've finally stopped sweating, time for a cold beverage.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »
105° here this afternoon. I've done a lot of miles getting people cooling today. Work phone is on the machine and I'm having a few cold ones. It will turn into several.

I already have a full day set for tomorrow.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2012, 06:26:40 AM »
Remember the scene in "Good Morning Vietnam" where Lt. Steve is arguing that there is a difference between 103 and 101, and thus it should be reported that today is "cooler"?

Lt. Steven Hauk: First of all, don't make fun of the weather here, and don't say the weather is the same all the time here. Because it's not. In fact, it's two degrees colder today than yesterday.
Adrian Cronauer: Two degrees colder, me without my muff.

The extended forecast for the next week:
[imitating Walter Cronkite]
Adrian Cronauer: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2012, 10:37:05 AM »
I wore jeans, boots, and a long sleeved shirt to work yesterday morning. I did change into shorts when I got home mid-afternoon, but had to put on a jacket to walk the dog last night at 7pm. CA hasn't gotten the memo that it's supposed to be summer.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2012, 11:52:53 AM »
I wore jeans, boots, and a long sleeved shirt to work yesterday morning. I did change into shorts when I got home mid-afternoon, but had to put on a jacket to walk the dog last night at 7pm. CA hasn't gotten the memo that it's supposed to be summer.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=hnx&smap=1&textField1=36.376853&textField2=-119.18441
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2012, 03:15:00 PM »
Finally, I think summer has arrived.  We're on day three of sunshine, temps in the mid- to high 80s.  The extended forecast is for more of the same as far out as it goes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2012, 04:09:18 PM »
Finally, I think summer has arrived.

This isn't summer. It's a setting for London Broil.

(I'm not complaining, though. I'd rather have this than winter).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2012, 04:36:41 PM »
Silly me. I wasn't 101 here in Lewistown today.

It was 102.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »
We keep hitting 100 degrees in the mid-mornings, then climbing up a few more degrees by early evening.

We're supposed to only hit the mid-nineties tomorrow, then stay in the eighties the rest of the week. With those temps, my air conditioner might even keep up. I just won't know how to act.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »
It hit 103 in Manassas today.  Humidity wasn't bad, so temps were bearable out of direct sunlight.

Chris

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
It was 107° here this afternoon. A front just gave a trace amount of rain. Yeah, a spot on my deck is damp.

But it did drop it down to 82°. That is a little more comfortable.

jim

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2012, 09:11:21 PM »
According to the NWS, the temperature just dropped about fifteen degrees in an hour, so it's 89 F here, now. 
http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSTL.html

A cold front is moving in, but the air has been very dry, so we haven't seen any rain yet.

Ten days of hot, hot heat.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:17:40 PM by fistful »

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »
A front?

Oh nice, tomorrow looks to be 10 degrees cooler!  =)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2012, 09:17:21 PM »
Yup. I think we topped out at 106, today, so a high of 96 will be a big improvement.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »
Yup. I think we topped out at 106, today, so a high of 96 will be a big improvement.

Maybe. Calling for 95 here tomorrow but the humuggity is supposed to be much higher then we have seen since the drought started.

jim

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »
Actually, it hit 104 here.  It was projected to hit 105, so we got a tiny reprieve.

Chris

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
Quote from FB: 
It looks like we might finally get a break this week. Did you ever think you'd look at the mid-80's and think, "Oh, relief!"?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
topped out at 101 here so far
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I