Author Topic: GD, it's hot.  (Read 24273 times)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: GD, it's hot.
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »
Right now in Seattle at 0642, it is raining and 54 degrees.  Occasional rain showers and a high of the mid 60s for the next several days.  I really want some good riding weather so I can get out on the motorcycle and bicycles.

You can take that and just shut the hell up.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2012, 12:40:14 PM »
Neighbor says power is back on in my community. Happen just after they moved all of my frozen foods to their freezer. 40 pounds of frozen pig knows how to turn the power back on.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2012, 12:49:07 PM »
Neighbor says power is back on in my community. Happen just after they moved all of my frozen foods to their freezer. 40 pounds of frozen pig knows how to turn the power back on.

Murphy at work - if you had not moved it, power would have stayed off.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2012, 02:18:34 PM »
Cloudy, cool and rainy here.  Most of the vegetable garden has decided it's Fall and is calling it quits.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »
Well, I can try to sleep inside, and sweat. Or I can try to sleep outside, marginally cooler, get a breeze and get eaten by bugs.
I have a horible headach. Probably dehydrated a bit. But also, I just get headaches. Normal routin is advil and sleep, but, can't sleep.
No power. At this rate, I'm thinking days. Bosses husband said something about Dominion Power has a strike going on which is why we have only seen a couple of their contractors out and not a single Dominion truck.
Still no power at work, and the generator screwed up this morning, so no fans. Dogs are pretty fine with it. Of course, they're napping on cool concreate floors in a building that stay cool no matter what.
The heat is surviable with power. A fan, a freezer full of ice packs and cold well water makes life tolerable, but without, this *expletive deleted*ing sucks. And if it wasn't so damn hot, the power out wouldn't be a problem. So I read instead of watching tv, and can't keep any food in the fridge, big deal, I do that with power half the time.

I am not a happy camper. :(
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2012, 06:36:49 PM »
If you have any coolers, get your ass to the store for some ice.
Ice, plus a little water in one cooler and throw some hand towels in there.  Wrap one around your neck.
That *expletive deleted*it'll cool you off right quick like. And then the evaporation will help keep you cool.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2012, 06:52:35 PM »
If you have any coolers, get your *expletive deleted* to the store for some ice.
Ice, plus a little water in one cooler and throw some hand towels in there.  Wrap one around your neck.
That *expletive deleted*'ll cool you off right quick like. And then the evaporation will help keep you cool.

Frozen towels don't last so long in this heat. Trust me, I broke out that trick friday. The winners are ziplock bag ice blocks.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2012, 06:59:24 PM »
It's so freaking hot the wasps aren't even out. The birds aren't even out. There aint *expletive deleted*it out.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2012, 07:06:52 PM »
It's so freaking hot the wasps aren't even out. The birds aren't even out. There aint *expletive deleted* out.

Misquetos did not get that memo.

However, I have come to a solution. The car. With all the windows open, it catches the breeze, almost as well as outside, but the bugs won't come in. I think it's the nicotine residue on everything. Anytime one gets a little adventurous, I lite another ciggerette. Seems to work well enough.
Plus I can charge the phone and listin to the radio.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2012, 07:47:58 PM »
In a situation like what we have in virginia ice can disappear faster than free government cheese.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2012, 06:22:42 PM »
My sister lost her power temporarily in the DC area, but it came back on during the first night.  With this heat the last week, it quite an inconvenience to be without AC and power.  We had a new record temp set on Friday.  It was certainly a record temp for the day.  It just doesn't get much above 90 degrees in the summer for long periods of time in my area.  90 is hot to me, but I believe it was 107 Friday and 105 Saturday.  I measured the temperature yesterday at 103.  This is most unpleasant.  We are in the midst of a locallized thunderstorm here at the moment.  My yard is crying for water.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »
Still nothing. Earliest is tomorrow evening, with latest being thursday. I'm betting my road is going to be on the low end of that totum pole. :/

I have my tent set out, but putting the rain fly on kinda defeats the point of breezy without being eaten alive by bugs. Last night I made a mad dash with all my bedding for the house when thunder began to rumble.
Dad was in his explorer with the back hatch open, I think he just stayed outside.
It was a little cooler today. I ended up out at the farm after finishing up what we could do at the shop (still no power there either, which means they had to cancel all the grooming today) I stayed hydrated and moved slowly with many breaks. Hot, dusty and dry. I amused myself by hosing the dogs, and filling water bins for them to splash themselves.

Oh yeah, mike was right, jamis. Ice is nary to be found.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »
If the Zombie Apocalypse happens in the summer, I'm gonna offer myself up to be eaten.  A lifelong Southerner, and I still hate the heat.  Hmmmmm... this could explain a lot of personality flaws.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2012, 09:51:16 PM »
I've been out playing in the heat all day. Just got finished up and trying to cool down.

Today was our forecast "cool" day for the week. It only got up to 98°.

Cracks in the yard are getting big enough for me to fall in.

That 15 acres I planted right before it got hot and dry is looking like a big waste of time and money.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
I am glad my neighborhood has underground power lines and is on the trunk line heading to the local hospital.  Our area pretty much has priority for getting power turned back on and my neighborhood generally doesn't see power distribution damage due to underground lines. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2012, 11:59:52 PM »
  :O. It rained today!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2012, 12:20:06 AM »
  :O. It rained today!

Well load some up in your car and head west.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »
So this is Global Warming. (What happened to "climate change"?)

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120703/D9VP9J681.html

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
No, no, no.  This is weather.... Not "Climate".

Power was out here from about 1pm on Sunday until 1130 pm Sunday night.  I broke out the generator at around 4pm and kept the fridges/freezers running.  Also ran cords to two of the neighbors to keep theirs going. 

North side of town was still without power as of 745pm  last night (Robert had baseball practice at a park on the northside and you could here the hum of many, many generators running).

Time to refill some fuel cans....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2012, 03:02:54 PM »
POWER!!! I HAVE POWER!!! :manic laughter: wAhahaha! POWER!!

First thing I did was turn on the fans, then the tv. The second thing I did was flush the toliet in celebration of not having to refill the tank with water jugs.

Woooohoooo!!!

OK, I'm good now.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2012, 05:58:18 PM »
POWER!!! I HAVE POWER!!! :manic laughter: wAhahaha! POWER!!

First thing I did was turn on the fans, then the tv. The second thing I did was flush the toliet in celebration of not having to refill the tank with water jugs.

Woooohoooo!!!

OK, I'm good now.
It's the simple things
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2012, 08:44:12 PM »
So this is Global Warming. (What happened to "climate change"?)

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120703/D9VP9J681.html

Considering that thousands of heat records have been smashed and extreme weather events abound, it isn't too far off from what the global warming people have been telling us will happen.

56 percent of the US is now in drought, says the papers. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »
 ;/

...extreme weather events abound...

So, are you saying that if the US has an unusually cold or snowy winter, that's also attributable to "global warming"?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:34:47 AM by Monkeyleg »

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »
56 percent of the US is now in drought, says the papers. 

What? Places like SoCal that were deserts to begin with?
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2012, 09:41:32 AM »
crap. NW Illinois and were 100 4 days straight. I've been watering the garden but it looks like steamed veggies. I actually burned my hand filling the first bird feeder. Used WELDING GLOVES to lift the metal tops on the others. Have power and water thank God himself. Have generator just in case.
What we have here is failure to communicate.