Author Topic: I passed the test.  (Read 8089 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
I passed the test.
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »
I just finished the MSF basic rider course and passed the riding test. All I need to do now is take the approved permit to the county and I will have the full motorcycle license.

I am so glad I took the course instead of just going for the test.  Totally worth it and fun, too.

Now, to put the bike back together...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: I passed the test.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 10:55:33 PM »
Have you signed your organ donor card yet?

I know the danger comes more from cagers than from riders doing dumb things, but either way ....

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:16:22 PM »
Have you signed your organ donor card yet?

I know the danger comes more from cagers than from riders doing dumb things, but either way ....

stay safe.

I rode many years ago.

The nurses living down the road call all riders organ donors also.

Yea, the cage drivers suck.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 11:44:24 PM »
My mom tried and failed to talk me out of it...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 11:45:44 PM »
I rode many years ago.

The nurses living down the road call all riders organ donors also.

I've heard them referred to as donor-cycles.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:55:59 PM »
Well, now that all that negativity is out of the way...

Excellent.  Good on you for taking the class.  Riding motorcycles can be a dangerous activity.  But, you have taken active steps to train yourself not only in the proper operation of a motorcycle, but proper emergency maneuvers.  Like any activity, you can not fully eliminate risks; but you have taken effort to mitigate and manage risks you can control.

Even after you get your license, remember to practice and hone your skills.  You are more vulnerable, which means you must be more vigilant.  

Keep the rubber side down!   ;)

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 12:28:03 AM »

FTFY.

The percentage of motorcycle drivers who suck are probably about the same as "cage"  ;/ drivers. You just see way more people driving normal vehicles than motorcycles.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 12:37:44 AM »
The percentage of motorcycle drivers who suck are probably about the same as "cage"  ;/ drivers. You just see way more people driving normal vehicles than motorcycles.

On the other hand, it's mighty hard to talk on the cellphone, play with the GPS, put a CD in the stereo, apply makeup, shave, eat a cheeseburger, yell at the kids, spill your latte, read a book, etc while running a motorcycle...

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 12:40:23 AM »
On the other hand, it's mighty hard to talk on the cellphone, play with the GPS, put a CD in the stereo, apply makeup, shave, eat a cheeseburger, yell at the kids, spill your latte, read a book, etc while running a motorcycle...

No, but it's a lot easier to split lanes, do wheelies, speed through heavy traffic, etc. with a motorcycle.  ;)

You can do stupid *expletive deleted*it with any vehicle, and there ain't no population devoid of idiots.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 01:47:01 AM »

Pffft.

You simply lack hand-eye coordination and multi-tasking capability. Anyone can text and drive ...

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 06:18:39 AM »
Well, now that all that negativity is out of the way...

Excellent.  Good on you for taking the class.  Riding motorcycles can be a dangerous activity.  But, you have taken active steps to train yourself not only in the proper operation of a motorcycle, but proper emergency maneuvers.  Like any activity, you can not fully eliminate risks; but you have taken effort to mitigate and manage risks you can control.

Even after you get your license, remember to practice and hone your skills.  You are more vulnerable, which means you must be more vigilant.  

Keep the rubber side down!   ;)

As an MSF instructor, I approve this message, an have this to add

Always assume that everyone around you is an idiot and prepare accordingly...

Your broken and mangled body won't care whose fault it was. Remover the Rider Radar video and take it to hear. Constant scanning for and reacting to threats is key. Always have an escape route.

Riding safely is about managing risk and removing unnecessary ones. 35 percent of fatal head injuries are to the chin area, so wear a full face helmet. Also, armored motorcycle jacket, etc. if its too hot for gear, buy better gear or a cooling vest. Rising in t shirts is like screwing a hooker with no condom. Might feel pretty good until your skin ends up cracked and bleeding later.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 07:48:37 AM »
unfortunatly the really good gear costs as much as a fair bike.  my wife has a nephew with a sport bike.  he spends more on the armour for that bike than on nis own gear.  i tell him his priorities are misplaced.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 08:37:04 AM »
. . . Riding safely is about managing risk and removing unnecessary ones. 35 percent of fatal head injuries are to the chin area, so wear a full face helmet. Also, armored motorcycle jacket, etc. if its too hot for gear, buy better gear or a cooling vest.
Easier, safer, & more comfortable to fasten your seatbelt and turn on the A/C in your car.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »
Quote from: Regolith
The percentage of motorcycle drivers who suck are probably about the same as "cage"  rolleyes drivers. You just see way more people driving normal vehicles than motorcycles.

Can we all agree that the ones we notice are the morons, no matter how many wheels they happen to have under them?

I see people in cars pulling stupid @#$% every day, and I see cyclists being idiots.  Those of us who just get out there and try to safely get to our destinations don't show up on anyone's radar.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 09:20:25 AM »
Pffft.

You simply lack hand-eye coordination and multi-tasking capability. Anyone can text and drive ...

How did the driver even manage to accomplish that?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »

How did the driver even manage to accomplish that?

I'm going to go with he was an idiot speeding down the shoulder of the road and didn't see the semi parked there.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 10:20:39 AM »
Riding safely is about managing risk and removing unnecessary ones. 35 percent of fatal head injuries are to the chin area, so wear a full face helmet. Also, armored motorcycle jacket, etc. if its too hot for gear, buy better gear or a cooling vest. Rising in t shirts is like screwing a hooker with no condom. Might feel pretty good until your skin ends up cracked and bleeding later.
After trying about a dozen helmets on I wound up buying the HJS IS-MAX BT

I think I made a good choice - wearing it for the four hours of the class was no problem on any of the three days, even when it was hot and humid. The sun shield works really well, especially since I wear glasses.

Don't have a jacket yet. A friend of mine says his riding buddy wears this, apparently it kept his injuries to a few bruises after taking a pretty good spill. I'm not sure I'm up for something like that just yet.

I can't figure out how people manage to ride in flipflops. Isn't shifting uncomfortable or them?

Robert A Heinlein

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »
unfortunatly the really good gear costs as much as a fair bike.  my wife has a nephew with a sport bike.  he spends more on the armour for that bike than on nis own gear.  i tell him his priorities are misplaced.

I tell people, body protection first... Bike protection second
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 10:30:21 AM »
Easier, safer, & more comfortable to fasten your seatbelt and turn on the A/C in your car.

Maybe, but also lame
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »

Wow!  That semi-trailer is going to need a new license plate bracket  :O

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 11:37:45 PM »
After trying about a dozen helmets on I wound up buying the HJS IS-MAX BT

I think I made a good choice - wearing it for the four hours of the class was no problem on any of the three days, even when it was hot and humid. The sun shield works really well, especially since I wear glasses.

Don't have a jacket yet. A friend of mine says his riding buddy wears this, apparently it kept his injuries to a few bruises after taking a pretty good spill. I'm not sure I'm up for something like that just yet.

I can't figure out how people manage to ride in flipflops. Isn't shifting uncomfortable or them?

HJC makes a good lid. I like the slide down sun shield on mine and it was even tolerable in 114 degrees last summer with the internal vents and a little water poured over our heads before putting the helmet on it was almost cool for a few minutes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 11:42:43 AM »
Lane splitting is not dangerous, it looks dangerous but really,it isn't.

I do it a lot less now due to it being illegal in Nevada, and due to there is a lot less traffic out here in the boonies.

I feel much safer lane splitting and getting away from a flock of road turkeys then I do being surrounded by a bunch of folks who cant use their turn signals and only use their mirrors to change lanes.

BTW

Congrats on taking the course, you now have an efficient way to save on gas and have a little fun
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »
HJC makes a good lid. I like the slide down sun shield on mine and it was even tolerable in 114 degrees last summer with the internal vents and a little water poured over our heads before putting the helmet on it was almost cool for a few minutes.

that's a good idea - the water thing- I often even pour water on the helmet ...

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-t-breeze-air-flo-jacket

get a jacket similar to this, do not ride in a tshirt, flip flops, sneakers, or without gloves.

I have summer gloves with all the protection, got it on sale a few yrs ago at cycle gear for 70 bucks, have had an alpine mesh summer jacket for yrs-well worth it.

for boots I wear steel toe hikers I got on sale, I would rather wear real mc boots but cant afford them and they are not comfortable for walking. You always need a protective jacket, gloves, boots.

You'll find that spills happen far more often going slow, like when you stop at a stop sign or if you happen to drive over some gravel... wearing a jacket/gloves will mean a difference between annoying and painfully annoying, the difference between picking up your bike and going and looking for a first aid kit and water to pour over your road rash..Bay Area Riders Forum has some great tips/links to cheap(er) safety gear.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
As an MSF instructor, I approve this message, an have this to add

Rising in t shirts is like screwing a hooker with no condom. Might feel pretty good until your skin ends up cracked and bleeding later.

I thought this was hilarious.  I read it to my wife who said 'Eeew'. 

I am pretty much all the gear all the time.  I don't always wear boots for my work commuting.  But when I am commuting to work, dressed in a suit or sportcoat, I am wearing a high-viz Olympia Phantom suit and a bright yellow Zeus modular helmet.  For fun riding, I have two piece Olympia gear, but I am always suited up.  My experience as a paramedic taught me the value of good gear.  When it gets hot, I have an Olympia Stealth mesh suit.  On the rare occasions that it reaches 90 degrees or above in Seattle, I drive instead.  The stop and go traffic on our freeways is just too brutal in 90 degree weather on the bike.

Because of the gear, I consider myself safer on the motorcycle than on the bicycles.  Where as I have said before, I am essentially wearing spandex underwear and a styrofoam ice bucket on my head. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 01:26:10 PM »
get a jacket similar to this, do not ride in a tshirt, flip flops, sneakers, or without gloves.
I don't even walk in flip-flops. I don't own any. :D I've worn nothing but boots for years and only bought low-cut shoes after I couldn't pull boots on after breaking my leg.

You'll find that spills happen far more often going slow, like when you stop at a stop sign or if you happen to drive over some gravel... wearing a jacket/gloves will mean a difference between annoying and painfully annoying, the difference between picking up your bike and going and looking for a first aid kit and water to pour over your road rash..Bay Area Riders Forum has some great tips/links to cheap(er) safety gear.
I got a pretty good illustration of that. The two people who dropped their bikes during the class did it either when stopped, stopping, or when doing a slow turn.

I have light gloves, they are cheap, but they have double palms and knuckle guards. Pretty decent as far as comfort.

I'm working on the jacket, trying to fit it into the budget.

Robert A Heinlein