Author Topic: I passed the test.  (Read 8091 times)

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: I passed the test.
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 02:26:18 AM »
I'm NOT gonna jump on the "all the gear/all the time" bandwagon. Make the decision for yourself: it's your body.

>Always assume that everyone around you is an idiot actively trying to kill you and prepare accordingly...<

FIFY Pardon my paranoia, but it seems to fit the idiots out there better.

And good decision, taking the course. It's why I'm still alive today
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 02:44:30 PM »
I'm NOT gonna jump on the "all the gear/all the time" bandwagon. Make the decision for yourself: it's your body.

>Always assume that everyone around you is an idiot actively trying to kill you and prepare accordingly...<

Yup, that pretty much the way I operate.

Also, since no one else has mentioned it- Plan on taking the experienced rider course next year.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
The MillCreek corollary to this is: assume you are invisible to everyone else on the road and ride accordingly.  This is why I am fluorescent whenever I am on two wheels.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
The MillCreek corollary to this is: assume you are invisible to everyone else on the road and ride accordingly.  This is why I am fluorescent whenever I am on two wheels.
I have to watch that in my truck.  I tend to favor trucks in silver/gray/tan colors.  At least my last three have been.  At certain times of day, some people find that hard to see.  Of course, some people appear to be oblivious of anything or anyone else on the road anyway.

IMO, the most dangerous things I see bikers doing is similar to what I see sports car drivers doing.  Going way too fast to the point that you are passing people who haven't even realized you are coming up behind them yet.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 09:35:08 PM »

Your first statement is in direct contradiction to your second. You cannot claim to not be in the "all the gear all the time" bandwagon, while simultaneously advising the person to assume that everyone around them is an idiot and prepare accordingly. Part of preparing accordingly is to "dress" for the time in which the idiot gets the best of you, due to any number of factors, and you have to rely on protection, not skill, to avoid death or serious injury.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 09:36:38 PM »
No, but it's a lot easier to split lanes, do wheelies, speed through heavy traffic, etc. with a motorcycle.  ;)

You can do stupid *expletive deleted* with any vehicle, and there ain't no population devoid of idiots.

This... riders are their own worst enemies. We SCREAM about "those idiot cagers" but then we do things ourselves that increase our risk. Responsible riding is about managing risk, not creating more.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »
Lane splitting is not dangerous, it looks dangerous but really,it isn't.

I do it a lot less now due to it being illegal in Nevada, and due to there is a lot less traffic out here in the boonies.

I feel much safer lane splitting and getting away from a flock of road turkeys then I do being surrounded by a bunch of folks who cant use their turn signals and only use their mirrors to change lanes.

BTW

Congrats on taking the course, you now have an efficient way to save on gas and have a little fun

As an MSF instructor, I cannot say I agree with you on lane splitting.

The non-MSF instructor Fitz, however, agrees wholeheartedly.  Much better to be safely away from the idiots (filtering to thefront at a stop light, for example," then deep in the middle of a pack of them.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 12:25:44 AM »
for instance, cars are stopped at a light, will be there for a good long time due to its a busy street, its a very wide street 4 lanes each direction.
Enough room for two bikes side by side, let alone one bike.  I will often simply ride up to the crosswalk ( lane split) then when the light is green I'm gone. In Reno the only thing dangerous about that is a ticket, in CA its perfectly natural.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 12:44:54 AM »
>Your first statement is in direct contradiction to your second. You cannot claim to not be in the "all the gear all the time" bandwagon, while simultaneously advising the person to assume that everyone around them is an idiot and prepare accordingly<

Depends on what you're talking about. I assume everyone around me wishes to kill me, and act accordingly.

At the same time, I exercise my right as an adult human being to forego a helmet, most of the time. I do that in full recognition of the fact that I may be risking more serious head injury if things DO go pear-shaped, and safety gear is all that stands between me and said injury.

So far (knock on wood), skill and reflexes, as well as thinking FAR in advance on the road, has kept me alive, and not actually needing gear...

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 06:13:42 AM »
for instance, cars are stopped at a light, will be there for a good long time due to its a busy street, its a very wide street 4 lanes each direction.
Enough room for two bikes side by side, let alone one bike.  I will often simply ride up to the crosswalk ( lane split) then when the light is green I'm gone. In Reno the only thing dangerous about that is a ticket, in CA its perfectly natural.

I do the same thing, and agree
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »
Bikes are dangerous. . Things that result in a small dent in your car can kill you on a bike. Any unplanned excursion into the shrubbery can kill you on a bike.  Always assume the car drivers will do the stupidest thing possible -like signal for a right turn and turn left instead. Or swerve directly into your lane. etc. (this goes for your riding buddies too)  Try to actively think about this stuff.  For example- You are riding down a country road. There is a car on the left shoulder. and the guy is reaching into his mailbox from the drivers seat. What is he going to do after he gets the mail? Sit there and read it? Pull out into your lane going your way? Make a 180 turn across both lanes so he hits you head on? Have a plan, an escape route. What do I do if-?

When watching a stopped car, look at the front wheel- it is your earliest clue about movement, is it starting to rotate? Turning?

good braking skills are imperative-not just to avoid hitting something as a last ditch measure, but to buy time for other  evasive maneuvers ( don't combine them-brake OR swerve, you are gonna only have enough traction for one or the other at any one time.)
 So practice stopping in a safe place.

There are two basic skill sets need to survive on a bike- physical riding skills,
 and more important,  situational awareness and judgement skills.
 The best way I know to improve riding skills is to get a small dirt bike and ride off road with some friends. You can slip and slide and fall with little damage.(usually)
 Judgement is a matter of thinking and observation and takes time. It is hard to learn in a car because the penalty is a lot more remote.
 if you find yourself saying, "that a$$-why did he do that!? about a driver, it is a good indication you situational awareness failed. I have said it a million times my self-and there is always a new idiot out there inventing cool new ways to put the hurt on bike riders.

Read Dave Hough's book. "Proficient Motorcycling". He got a medal for it. And 40 years of training riders to stay alive.

The most common serious screw ups I read about-

not making a corner due to speed or some other factor.  (Taking a wide entry and a late apex is good-for example-on a left hand corner, stay right till you can see the line out-this will help to prevent being trapped by a decreasing radius curve) Lots of times a early apex on the first corner will put you in the wrong place to make the next one.

poor emergency  braking resulting in a locked rear brake, sideways slide, and brake release resulting in a high side crash.

T-boning a car turning across your lane, usually at an intersection.

Sorry this is so disorganized, and please forgive my crappy writing- I am not trying to preach, just trying to pass along a few useful things I have learned the hard way over many years.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 11:51:14 AM »
Bikes are dangerous. . Things that result in a small dent in your car can kill you on a bike. Any unplanned excursion into the shrubbery can kill you on a bike.

Ever notice that when someone gets killed on a motorcycle everyone stands around and goes on and on about how dangerous motorcycles are. Yet if someone gets killed in a car wreck every climbs into there cars and drives to the funeral.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 09:48:17 PM »
Well, yeah- but most of the guys killed on bikes woulda been OK if they had been in a car.  I love bikes, by the way- been riding them for years.  =D