Author Topic: Plans for the 4th?  (Read 9170 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Plans for the 4th?
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »
1st 4th I have had off in a few years. Kiddo has a friend coming over, we're going to spend the day at the pool (Supersoakers and water balloons are being prepared), in the meanwhile a few racks of ribs (kiddo's request) are going to be slowly roasting in the oven. Going to make a huge bowl of fresh fruit salad as well. Not going to make any pickled eggs. :angel: Once it gets dark, we'll light off some assorted fireworks.
So long as the neighbors don't get bent and call the cops. Never had an incident, and even with a fire extinguisher and a bucket of water highly visible they still call. ;/

So, what are y'alls plans?
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Plans for the 4th?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:01:41 AM »
Drive a fire truck in the parade and then go home and visit my family
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »
I vote the 4th be rescheduled to the 6th this year! 

Not much planned here, head to a buddy's house that evening for fireworks and BBQ.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »
It's hot. I'll be staying indoors and reading the Dec. of Ind.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:34:48 AM »
Anyone lights off a firecracker around here and I'm going to go shoot them  [ar15]

Independence Day will be more of the same for us: standing by to evacuate and/or respond to fight wildfire. :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
Anyone lights off a firecracker around here and I'm going to go shoot them  [ar15]

Independence Day will be more of the same for us: standing by to evacuate and/or respond to fight wildfire. :(
I understand completely, and I also understand my neighbor's concerns. We only do fountains, etc., on wet grass just after the sprinklers have turned off with a bucket of water and fire extinguisher handy. No aerial stuff, and nothing large that might get out of control.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 10:52:13 AM »
the only party out here is out on the "playa" ( a huge dry empty lake bed, a great place for safe fires explosions without setting the desert on fire) but my mc cant take the dust/heat and my rear tire is about to need replacing and wont have the money for that for awhile so I'm probably looking at .... nothing .... maybe I'll feed the chickens a little something extra ... probably will stay up late keeping an eye out for fires
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 10:57:48 AM »
If dispatch can manage it, I'll work through the 4th.  If not, I'll join the best friend and his kids as they also celebrate the 5th (amendment.) =D
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 11:54:44 AM »
We're going to my son's house. I plan to scatter expended fireworks and crumpled wrappers over as much of his yard as I can.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »
Going to be sitting at home, not doing much of anything.  I was planning on spending the holiday with family, however that didn't pan out.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »
Clean up after fireworks, then building a bear bait barrel.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »
I had my fireworks show this past weekend.  On the 4th, I am working my butt off to get all of my work for the week done early. 

I am going to Las Vegas on the 5th, by myself, with a pocket full of cash, no plans, and questionable morals.

It's been nice knowing all of you.   =D

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 02:18:03 PM »
Unless something familial is happening, hang out down in the basement where it's cool for the bulk of the day.   No AC, and it's supposed to be in the 90s all week.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 03:22:59 PM »
Sitting at home, having beer. Probably grilling. 

Debating on going in to clean up my office, it's looking very messy
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »
Not sure I'm going to celebrate....that nation no longer seems to exist.....  :'(
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 04:15:19 PM »
Working.  I work five days a week, holidays included.  I suppose I could have taken it off, but I get my 8 hours pay plus another 8 hours pay so why...

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
Not sure I'm going to celebrate....that nation no longer seems to exist.....  :'(

Which is why everybody on my contacts list gets a copy of the Declaration of Independence.  May be a futile gesture, but someone's gotta make it.

Other than that I'm goning to surf TV channels to see the arial displays, since all the fireworks (Congress and SCOTUS) are done.

Might cling to a few guns just for ole time's sake.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »
Working.  I work five days a week, holidays included.  I suppose I could have taken it off, but I get my 8 hours pay plus another 8 hours pay so why...

Nothing more American that working on a holiday.  =) Americans have always been known for working too long and too hard, and too constantly (for our European cousins' tastes, anyway).

There's a scene in "Eat Pray Love," where some Italian guy goes on a rant about Americans being too busy to smell the roses. "You don't know pleasure," he insists. Two or three times he complains that "you don't know pleasure." Yeah, well we also aren't quite so hopelessly in debt as you are, Italian guy.  :P

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 04:58:23 PM »
Saw fireworks last night, actual 4th will be R&R here at home.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »
The wife and I are thinking about the "Freedom from Pants (aka Underwear) " bike ride on the 4th.

http://blogs.citypages.com/dressingroom/2012/07/celebrate_america_with_freedom_from_pants_bike_ride.php

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2012, 06:44:52 PM »
My boss asked me today if I was working on the fourth. I responded by asking if I was working. She said yes. Bad enough that I hang out with a bunch of smart asses, but I work for a couple too.
If I have power, I will watch 1776.
If I can find a buddy, I wouldn't mind going down to scottsville to sit on the leavy and watch fireworks.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 08:30:51 PM »
Well since fireworks in my fair city are forbidden, I haven't yet decided if I'm going to break the law.

Other than that, probably cook meat over a grill and knock back a brew or two and maybe go find someplace to watch one of the displays going on across town.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 08:45:51 PM »
Looks it'll just be the Director and myself, sooooo... Spiral sliced hotdogs on the grill, along with hamburgers, baked beans, beer, sweat, and flatulance.  W00t!
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »
I am in one of the few cities in the county that still allow fireworks, and people come from miles around to shoot them off, not to mention a few families in the development that pool their money and spend about 5K each on their personal displays. These guys have mortar shells that are just short of commercial. I get a pretty good 4 hour fireworks show here. So, I will be sitting on the driveway, burning a log or two in the fire pit, and yelling at people driving too fast down the street. A true curmudgeon's 4th.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2012, 09:39:35 PM »
Either the Science Channel or SyFy is is running a Firefly marathon.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams