Author Topic: Plans for the 4th?  (Read 9169 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Plans for the 4th?
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »
Drive a fire truck in the parade and then go home and visit my family

Wait, this gets even better. Found out today I'll be riding with one of our firefighters who's a Brit. Yes, that's right, rolling in an American firetruck, in an American state, celebrating the quintessential American holiday with a British import.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 12:02:48 AM »
Wait, this gets even better. Found out today I'll be riding with one of our firefighters who's a Brit. Yes, that's right, rolling in an American firetruck, in an American state, celebrating the quintessential American holiday with a British import.

He'll be wearing tar and feathers, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 12:33:09 AM »
He'll be wearing tar and feathers, right?

....or at least chains & a white flag......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 01:07:55 AM »
I'll be on duty. Yay. :'(
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 01:16:13 PM »
Heading out to ASC with friends.  Some shooting then Robert and Conner will be blowing up fireworks.

Wheaton cancelled it's fireworks because of the storms.  Half the town is still without power.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2012, 12:07:21 AM »
Working.  There aren't many holidays off in this line of work.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2012, 01:03:30 AM »
Fireworks done, fingers intact.

Dawn Patrol for any unfired shell fragments.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »
The fireworks and barbecues are a nice distraction from the ongoing decline and fall of the republic!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2012, 11:04:52 AM »
The fireworks and barbecues are a nice distraction from the ongoing decline and fall of the republic!

There really isn't anything to celebrate anymore  =(

In honor of the fact that it is less than 90 degrees today, and our neighborhood isn't on fire right at this moment, we're going to go ride our horses for a while this morning.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »

Ain't it the truth.

GA was a no fireworks state too, so the kids and I used to drive to AL or SC to buy them every year. The road trip together became part of the tradition. Then whatever sounded good to everyone that year was thrown on the grill, beverages were consumed by adults, there was some discussion with the kids about why we were celebrating, and at dark fuses were lit, regardless of legality, because "this is America, damn it!"
The local cops never messed with us. Ah, the good old days.

Ben and I are throwing a couple steaks on the grill later. Plan to watch a couple patriotic movies (I'm pushing for Red Dawn and maybe Air Force One for a reminder of when we had a president we'd fight to protect). Might go watch the city's display later if it doesn't appear to be too crowded. Though I'm not feeling particularly festive about the state of our Freedom and Liberty at the moment so if we don't see fireworks, that's fitting too.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2012, 11:55:45 AM »
Ain't it the truth.

GA was a no fireworks state too, so the kids and I used to drive to AL or SC to buy them every year. The road trip together became part of the tradition. Then whatever sounded good to everyone that year was thrown on the grill, beverages were consumed by adults, there was some discussion with the kids about why we were celebrating, and at dark fuses were lit, regardless of legality, because "this is America, damn it!"

Ben and I are throwing a couple steaks on the grill later. Plan to watch a couple patriotic movies (I'm pushing for Red Dawn and maybe Air Force One for a reminder of when we had a president we'd fight to protect). Might go watch the city's display later if it doesn't appear to be too crowded. Though I'm not feeling particularly festive about the state of our Freedom and Liberty at the moment so if we don't see fireworks, that's fitting too.

Ill-i-noise is a no fireworks state.  Somehow that doesn't keep the weeks before and after from sounding like a minor war zone.

Do it yourself, is more fun.  Much more satisfying than sitting in the bleachers watching some professional (how very like what our lives are like, much of the time).

Going to my Dad's in a few minutes, where we will char mammal flesh, shoot guns and set off fireworks.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »
the band is playing at the margeretteville firemans fieldays.  we start around 7:30, play 2 sets, then get to watch the fireworks and play 1 set after.  kind of a nice gig as the family comes to this one every year as well.  the fireworks are very up-close and personal which i like.  last year the breeze was just right that the crowd was envelloped in smoke from the display.  not sure that would be good for anyone with asthema.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »
Ain't it the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urgrF6OBuZc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Watch this. and the lee thing is not the only line you can repeat over and over to annoy people and giggle like a mad person.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
Ain't it the truth.

... so the kids and I used to drive to AL or SC to buy them every year.

Ah, yes!  The annual jaunt down I-95 to count the signs telling us how many miles until we got to Pedro
(now long gone) http://www.dwmorrison.com/sotb-a.htm  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_KludExnpE .  One year we needed a U-Haul to go home.  (OK, so at that time I was driving a Ford Fiesta - I needed a U-Haul to bring home groceries for more than one day.)

Just another indicator of the decline and fall.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »
Burgers, corn and not being much of a beer drinker wifeys choice of Independence Day drink is wine. Unable to find the wine bucket needed to..improvise-

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »
Too GD hot and dry out at ASC.  (It's well over 100 here.) 

Screw it.  The boys can blow up the driveway.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 07:19:46 PM »
Well, the parade was...interesting. One of the golf carts ran off the road and into the woods, hitting a big rock and throwing a woman out so we got to go help her before resuming the parade.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »
Well, the parade was...interesting. One of the golf carts ran off the road and into the woods, hitting a big rock and throwing a woman out so we got to go help her before resuming the parade.

How does one loose control of a golf cart? And at such speeds as to eject a passenger?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »
Dunno but she was letting her 8 y.o. son drive. I was leading the parade and looked back and noticed no one was behind me then another cart rode up to us and flagged us down to tell what happened.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »
Woke up pleasantly late this morning and went to a pancake breakfast benefiting the SLYC junior sailing program.  Walked around chatting as the Fourth of July regatta got underway.  Found a nice breezy spot in the shade and watched the boats go 'round for about an hour.  Wife left for a few hours of work, daughters left to a friends house with a pool.  I elected to remain in the shady, breezy spot watching the boats go 'round.

Grilled two porterhouse steaks and was joined by my wonderful wife.  After retrieving the children, I watered the shrubbery, and by the urging of my friend Blondie, read aloud and commented on the Declaration of Independence. 

Now, awaiting darkness, I sit on the porch swing as families file past towards the waterfront, hurrying to claim their spot for the firework show.  We will head down about five minutes before blastoff, get a crick in our necks as the show explodes over the harbor, walk the three blocks to home, and crawl into bed, protected by the hum of the air conditioner, as the tourists wait loudly in line to leave town and drive home.

Life is good.
7-11 was a part time job.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »
Very lovely, Tuco.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »
Somehow that doesn't keep the weeks before and after from sounding like a minor war zone.

Reminds me of my first Fourth of July in the city listening to distant booms and rumbles.  [ar15]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2012, 10:43:59 PM »
read aloud and commented on the Declaration of Independence. 

"He has sent swarms of officers to harrass us and eat out our substance."

Hmm.

Went to Dad's, hung out with family.  Weather thingee says 100 degree max, next couple days.  I believe it.  No AC at home, I suspect I will be pretty underslept by the time it's all over.

Son's girlfriend wanted to shoot, never had before.  I think we might have won one to the Dark Side.  She seemed especially taken with my brother's Springfield 1911.  (Full size, all steel, no nonsense.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2012, 11:44:06 PM »
Drank like a fish, hung out with three ladies, ended up with towels.  Did not grill.  Whoops
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2012, 11:49:08 PM »
I've been watching the Twilight Zone Marathon on the SyFy channel. Lot's of classics. Lot's of ones that seem especially appropriate for today. My personal favorite, The Obsolete Man, is currently on, which is one of the ones that seem to fit today really well.  [popcorn]