Author Topic: Rand Paul Wants Senators to Read the Bills They Vote On  (Read 1439 times)

Waitone

• friend
Rand Paul Wants Senators to Read the Bills They Vote On
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/235877-sen-paul-looks-to-force-senate-to-read-bills-it-passes

Seems Rand Paul has the radical idea that senators ought to read the bills they are about to vote on.  I would have thought the Obamacare fiasco would have prompted the same response but it evidently took a 600 page highway bill to provoke a response.

I have a simple solution.  A senator with a moral compass and an ethical spine (stop laughing, ride with me a ways) would say, "I haven't had the chance to read and digest the proposed legislation.  I will therefore vote no until such a time as my requirements can be met."

A flight of fancy ends in a smoking crater at the end of a runway.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Rand Paul Wants Senators to Read the Bills They Vote On
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 11:34:16 PM »
This will never sit well with kongress... [tinfoil] :rofl: :rofl: :O ;/ [popcorn] :facepalm: :facepalm: :rofl: :rofl: [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:46:03 PM »
The after-image of the Republic is taking a long time to wink out, isn't it?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:28:18 AM »
Why does a bill need to be passed to do that? All that Rand need do is just read out the bills on the floor. All of them. All. If he cannot do it all himself he should gang up with the 3-4 senators he can find to endorse this idea (I do not expect more) and on they go.

This would easily bring the whole thing down to a halt, or have everyone go on record for voting to avoid readin their own bills.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »
This reminds me of the Hughes amendment. They tried to read it aloud on the floor of the House and the bill's pushers kept doing everything they could to obstruct and prevent that until the allowed time for reading ran out, with the intention that those voting would hopefully not know it's contents. Now this is accomplished just by making bills so huge that it becomes a physical impossibility to read the whole of it in any reasonable (weeks to months) amount of time, let alone comprehend all it's implications and effects.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 07:16:05 PM »
Things that can't last don't.

We are not too far from manifest proof of this principle on a national scale.  The only way the current "master plan" can work is total subordination of everyone in the United States.  Something tells me that won't happen.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.