Author Topic: For all you (home) networking geeks  (Read 1748 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
For all you (home) networking geeks
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:32:49 AM »
http://www.neowin.net/news/cisco-locks-users-out-of-their-routers-requires-invasive-cloud-service

Cisco's new routers force you to register with their cloud service.  If you don't you can wind up with a bricked device.

Not like they are going to monitor your traffic....

Their updated privacy policy states:
When you use the Service, we may keep track of certain information related to your use of the Service, including but not limited to the status and health of your network and networked products; which apps relating to the Service you are using; which features you are using within the Service infrastructure; network traffic (e.g., megabytes per hour); internet history; how frequently you encounter errors on the Service system and other related information (“Other Information”).
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
Re: For all you (home) networking geeks
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »
Yeah, I read about this on Slashdot. I'm currently running a cheap Cisco/Linksys at home, and it happens to be one that won't take an aftermarket firmware like DDWRT.  I'm reading up on what to replace it with now.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:14:35 AM »
That stinks. Linksys has generally been my router of choice. Though for the last couple of years I've been running a Cradlepoint router to take advantage of the additional 3G/4G capability (Plus they are very configurable).

I'm getting tired of the industry going to this whole "service bundling" model. If I wanted the integration and intrusiveness, I'd be using Apple services. Google is getting really bad with this stuff too. At least right now we have the choice to use hardware and services that don't do this, but it's a little scary to contemplate this becoming an industry standard.

I suppose it would create a profitable black market in older routers though. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 10:31:38 AM »
Whups, time to build a low cost Linux box as a combined server/router/firewall.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »
I'm still pretty happy with my cheap Asus routers and DD-WRT on them.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »

Ayep. Thankfully, there is plenty of good micro-form PC's out there. 

I knew Cisco would go this way when they bought out Linksys. Hopefully someone comes up with a router that doesn't spy on you.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »
My concern is when this sort of stuff starts appearing in multi-function devices such as my FIOS router/"modem".  I don't have to use the FW functions, but if Verizon decides to snoop, I won't have an alternative device.

As for replacement routers, what about building a linux system in a VM and using that instead of a discrete box?  I suspect most people have enough spare cycles on their desktop to support this.  Just not sure how well it would work as a router.  Might have to add ethernet adapters...

There's also stuff like Raspberry Pi.  I have one, it seems to run Linux well enough, but it only has one native ethernet interface.  You could probably assign subinterfaces to the physical, but I don't know how well that would work on such a low-powered device. 

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »

http://www.smoothwall.org/.  Canned router appliance software.  I used it years back (as the easiest way to set up a shared dialup, when I refused to use Windows), don't know what it's like now.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:20:00 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 12:00:49 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks Lee.

Chris

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 02:17:25 PM »
My concern is when this sort of stuff starts appearing in multi-function devices such as my FIOS router/"modem".  I don't have to use the FW functions, but if Verizon decides to snoop, I won't have an alternative device.

As for replacement routers, what about building a linux system in a VM and using that instead of a discrete box?  I suspect most people have enough spare cycles on their desktop to support this.  Just not sure how well it would work as a router.  Might have to add ethernet adapters...

There's also stuff like Raspberry Pi.  I have one, it seems to run Linux well enough, but it only has one native ethernet interface.  You could probably assign subinterfaces to the physical, but I don't know how well that would work on such a low-powered device. 

Chris

USB ethernet cables. Maybe $5 a pop. Handy when you have VM's on five different networks, or don't want any possibility of your host having connectivity.

There are ready made router "appliances" for most/all virtualization platforms. ClearOS is a favorite, but you really could just use a stock Linux or BSD install.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »
I use a standard Cisco 871 SOHO router/WAP at home.  It's a bit obsolete but the price was right (free).  On the other hand, I have been a network engineer specializing in Cisco stuff for twenty years and configuring it was easy.  I don't recommend going this route (pun?) for the ordinary consumer.  Netgear or one of the other consumer products will be a better choice.

Russ

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 02:59:44 PM »

I have more than enough capability on any of my machines, but since i take those down periodically, it would be easiest to simply build a small form factor machine, which I can also then use for print/file server

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 12:52:29 PM »
I have more than enough capability on any of my machines, but since i take those down periodically, it would be easiest to simply build a small form factor machine, which I can also then use for print/file server

Toss on snort, see who is knocking on your ports.  It's kinda fun to watch the trends.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 06:59:55 AM »
Toss on snort, see who is knocking on your ports.  It's kinda fun to watch the trends.

Someday I'll have to tell you a story about snort (I work with some of the guys who wrote it)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »
Someday I'll have to tell you a story about snort (I work with some of the guys who wrote it)

Oh, I'm sure we'll both have some interesting stories.