Author Topic: god save me from dog lovers  (Read 6260 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
god save me from dog lovers
« on: July 08, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »
i think i need to make a sign to put in the window of my car to let them know that the dogs name is flash he DOES bite and if they will look they will notice that the car is running and the ac is maxed.i have one of these  http://www.amazon.com/Digital-temperature-meter-remote-sensor/dp/B002B0KVFQ
 in the window but its not enough

had cops called 3 times in one morning

one would think that the condensation on the outside of the window would clue folks in.  the third call the 911 dispatcher called my cell and i recognized her voice. i was less patient with that group than i was the earlier ones
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: god save me from dog lovers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »
Put up a sign, with the warning, because if Flash does nail some wanna be do gooder, he's the one who gets the chair and you're in for hell.
At least, with the sign and he nails someone, you might have a fighting chance. Unfortunatly, Flash won't. :(

Where I you, I'd avoid the hassle and take the sulking of a car dog forced to stay at home.

=|
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 12:19:46 PM »
I hate to say this but you are the only person I've heard of who leaves a dog in a car under the hot sun -- with the engine and AC going to keep the dog happy.
Sorry, but most people leave the dog to fate.
And people who respect animals don't like this -- but they're used to it, and that's why they don't take two seconds to notice the AC's on and the tempurature for the dog is actually OK.  They've already decided what they're seeing because they've seen/heard of it before.
I'm sure it does get annoying for you.  It would for me too.  
But let's start a campaign to get people not to be ....human. ;) ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
I think a sign is a really excellent idea: one for the front and one for the rear windshields.  I suspect a lot of people may not get close enough or cannot hear that the engine and A/C is running.  Not to mention how would they know that the A/C is running? 

I know that for myself, if I saw an animal or child in what I thought was acute heat distress, I would not waste time calling 911.  I would smash a side window and open the car to tend to the animal or child.  If I was wrong, I would apologize to the owner of the car and write a check to replace the window.  I am pretty darn sure that no jury would convict me of vandalism or the like.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 12:28:05 PM »
yea even for me the leave it running with the ac on move pushes the edge of flaky but hey its always good to forge new frontiers.  >:D

and i'm with them i've opened some windows in my time where folks have left dogs in cars  and they won't close after i open em.

he rides with me every morning and if i go straight to run errands he gets an extended trip. i usually park out in no mans land but its so hot and i'm such a candyass that i parked closer in today.  take a guess what popular shopping place garnered a crowd of 9 folks ? 8 of whom were zomg and 1 who pointed out the running car and ac to no avail?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
Wal Mart?  [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »
if you broke my window i'd understand   and i'd not be mad.  its the ones who just stand and flail their hands that disturb me.  christ doors are unlocked.  the good news is if they let him out he won't bite. if they reach in we need lots of bactine and bandaids. hes a fast booger too

i think i'll put my cell number on sign and thank em for caring enough to check on him

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »
Wal Mart?  [popcorn]

winner!  and the kid who lives 6 doors up is a greeter there.  hes special  not sure how to classify his level of development but its not high on the conventional scale.    now guess which person was the only one to figure it was running and the ac was on?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 02:19:44 PM »
FGI&I

Quote from: http://www.shouselaw.com/nevada/animal-unattended.html - Explained by
Las Vegas Criminal Defense Attorneys
The legal definition of "leaving a cat or dog unattended in an automobile" in Las Vegas, Nevada, prohibits people from leaving a cat or dog alone in a "parked or standing motor vehicle during a period of extreme heat or cold or in any other manner that endangers the health or safety of the cat or dog."

In short, you may not leave your cat or dog unsupervised in a stationary vehicle under any conditions that could jeopardize its welfare. If law enforcement believes they've found an endangered dog or cat alone in a car, they may break into the car to rescue the animal.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »

window opener

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »
There are plenty of people who leave dogs in vehicles during the summer with ac running. Dog shows are during the summer, and sometimes it's just cooler in the car.

We have had people open doors and windows of our cars with dogs inside and letting them loose in high traffic areas, usually when it's not actually hot out. Dad had so much trouble, it's one of the reasons he never takes his dog to work anymore.
It's one thing if some jerk has left and animal in a situation that is obviously deadly or the animal is clearly in distress, which you really have to get close enough to see (thus seeing signs that the AC is on) to call 911 and let the dog loose.
It's another if someone is just being a busy body and does it because *whiney* you're not supposed to leave a dog in the car *whiney* and endangers themselves, the public and the dog.

I would NEVER just open a strange car with a strange dog unless I had a leash, 911 on the phone and could see the dog in clear distress. If I'm a bit worried, I'll go to the most obvious location of the owner and have them paged.
The thing is you don't know the situation. The animal could be sick, agressive or anyone of a number of delicate issues that nessitate it being in that car, and people who leave dogs in cars generally are in one of those positions, have made arrangements for the dogs comfort and safety (like csd) and, every so often, just ass's that don't care.
 I generally run into the first two catagories, rather then the last, and I know what it is like to go back to my car and have the nerve wracking experiance of my dog is missing in a busy parking lot right next to a high traffic road.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 03:42:34 PM »
flash will bite at the glass if you come within 3 feet of car. and then rub up and down against you like a friendly cat once hes outside car.  except with kids  he likes kids all the time.  thats what i'm afraid of some dimwit letting him out and him getting hit. i had a lady let 3 hounds out of my truck once "cause i just wanted to pet them" she came running in screaming as i heard screeeching tires from the busy road

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 03:47:33 PM »
Then there was 1979 and coming back from Alaska I was driving through Missoula in 100+ degree weather in a dark green pickup with no a/c - stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on Reserve Street  =(

I thought that both my dog and I were going to die from the heat ...
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 03:49:30 PM »
One school of though says a warning sign only declares intent:

Defendant:  I posted a warning sign!

Plaintiff's shyster:  So you knowingly endangered the public?
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 03:49:47 PM »
I leave my dogs in the truck with the A/C on several times a month.  In FL. I've run into several of the types of people CSD ran into. However since my two are GSD's that are better then 70lbs each no one yet has tried to open the door.

I find that many "dog lovers" have no concept of how to deal with actual, non dysfunctional, dogs.

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
when i had the ford ranger i put an rv ac on the cap and plugged it in at work so the dog would be comfy.  while i worked grill in a kitchen that was a smidge warm. folks knew i was crazy but it was a good kinda crazy  plus i could nap in the truck with her

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »
I leave my dogs in the truck with the A/C on several times a month.  In FL. I've run into several of the types of people CSD ran into. However since my two are GSD's that are better then 70lbs each no one yet has tried to open the door.

I find that many "dog lovers" have no concept of how to deal with actual, non dysfunctional, dogs.

They don't know how to deal with the dysfunctional ones either, and are usually the reason for the dysfunction...

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »
I would love to be able to take my dog(s) with me in the car more - but as has been said, there are just too many busybodies.  Second reason: my a/c in the car is currently inop.  The only time they get to go in the car now is if I'm going somewhere that they can get out of the car with me.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 06:02:29 PM »
i bet those folks would *expletive deleted*it if i called him and they found out he knows how to open the tailgate.  can't teach him to close it though  maybe if i attach a rope he could pull on  the lack of oppose-able thumbs holds him back.    that might be a good thing though  means i can still stay one step ahead of him

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
I'm with those who are against the posting of any signage.  Everything they said and it's an excuse for ticketing you for obstructed vision regardless of where you put it.

If you can afford it, there are alarms that will call your cellphone if the glass is broken or the doors opened.  IMHO the only reason someone would break the glass or force the door open on a vehicle containing a snarling, barking dog would be to either steal from said vehicle or to commit vandalism.  Both are crimes in Virginia.

It does seem that the dispatcher was smart enough to take note of the report of the first (two?) responding cop and contacted you.  Highly unusual and comendable - hope you said something to her boss.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 07:17:16 PM »
shes a smart lady. i will call her boss in the am  thats a good idea

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »
This is one of the reasons I don't bring my dogs with me very often. Aside from not liking the interior covered in dog hair, there's to many busy body idiots around.

And no, I'd not be understanding to some *expletive deleted*ing moron breaking my window or otherwise breaking into my car and letting my dog run around loose.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 07:55:50 PM »
window no big deal?  dog out the cops are coming  when i was younger cops and ambulance.   you'd have enjoyed the walmart parking lot  it was a real forest gump kinda thing with forest being the smartest guy in the crowd.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
Outside of walmart and there was only one Forest Gump?

Let the dog out or not, I'd still be equally pissed about just the window. And some dipshit busy body dogooder? I have doubts they'd understand my expectation of a check to have the window replaced. Let alone vet bills if the glass injured the dog. And my time to get the thing replaced.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 08:04:23 PM »
If I saw a dog or child in distress I'd pop the window, glass breaker in the car. I am bright enough to see if the car is running or if the doors are locked. I saw a good one two days ago, two kids of the ankle biter age alone in daddy's jeep cherokee, AC running, windows open. So, they won't die of exposure, good. Where is dad? In this day and age of weirdos abducting kids not a chance I'd do that. I was offended because it drags me into it, I'd feel obligated to stick my nose in and do something if something looked wrong.

Calling 911 to me is like my car horn. I can go years and barely remember it exists. We got a spectator society, somebody will call.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.