Author Topic: 5sp Transmission: Rebuild locally or purchase remanned unit from Marlin Crawler?  (Read 7747 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
It usually makes economic sense to keep truck & truck-derived vehicles rolling, rather than replacing them.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
To get transmission work done, not get screwed, and have it work well is a miracle in itself!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

mtnbkr

• friend
It usually makes economic sense to keep truck & truck-derived vehicles rolling, rather than replacing them.

Agreed, especially when the cost of repairs are less than replacement cost.  A side benefit of keeping an old truck rolling is that I'm not afraid of it getting dirty, scratched, dented, etc as I would with a new truck. :)

Though, I have a laundry list of things that should be done if I'm going to keep it on the road for the long term.  Nothing that needs doin' today, but stuff that will need doin' in the next year or two.

To get transmission work done, not get screwed, and have it work well is a miracle in itself!

True, but I accomplished that by buying the rebuilt trans from a well respected shop out west and having a respected local general truck shop do the install (they don't rebuild transmissions).

Chris

Lee

• friend
It feels great to get stuff like that completed and off your mind, doesn't it?
I just got my Wangler back yesterday-had a lot of little pain on the butt stuff done- leaky axle and transfer case seals, u joints, ball joints, rear yolk and whatnot. It was the best $1000 I ever spent.
I have a multi-year plan in mind for it as well.