Author Topic: Flamethrower suggestions? (Now ok to read)  (Read 3618 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Flamethrower suggestions? (Now ok to read)
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »
Looking for a flamethrower to aide in brush clearing.  Any suggestions from personal experience?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:23:19 PM by Ex-MA Hole »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Flamethrower suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:52:18 PM »
Controlled burn  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:58:39 PM »
I once had a good recipe for making napalm with gasoline and some soap flakes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:07:37 PM »
Most places probably require a burn permit for that sort of thing.

Might even need the FD standing by ...  =|

Usual process is to establish a fire break, and then light it off with a drip torch or road flare.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:35:13 PM »
I'm thinking you are looking for close control as opposed to setting an overgrown woodlot ablaze.  (Clearing out the overgrown underbrush while maintaining the "big" trees?)

http://www.flameengineering.com/Weed_Dragon.html

Biggest downside is the possibility of freezing the tube leading to the torch head if you do prolonged bursts.  Just do not try to invert the tube and let the flame thaw it out - unless you ask someone to hold your beer first - and get someone else to video it.)

And seconding the availability, if not the presence, of the FD.  You might tempt them with an offer of wildfire suppression training, or the chance to drive your bulldozer while making firebreaks. [popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:59:17 PM »
Never used one, but this looks freaking awesome:

http://www.amazon.com/VT-2-30-SVC-Propane-Squeeze/dp/B002LH46N2/ref=pd_sim_lg_2

We have something like one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-JT850-Self-Igniting-Outdoor/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342065406&sr=8-4&keywords=flame+thrower

Doesn't put out nearly as much heat as the other one, but it works ok for small stuff.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »
The propane torches work pretty well.  Just got to be careful about how it can spread.
Formerly sumpnz

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:02:18 AM »
I got this one at Home Depot, and it works pretty well for me:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100341111/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 01:03:13 AM »
Looking for a flamethrower to aide in brush clearing.  Any suggestions from personal experience?

Yeah, brush clearing. Brush clearing. Sure.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 01:16:22 AM »
More likely a result of all of these spider threads.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 02:02:57 AM »
I'm thinking you are looking for close control as opposed to setting an overgrown woodlot ablaze.  (Clearing out the overgrown underbrush while maintaining the "big" trees?)

http://www.flameengineering.com/Weed_Dragon.html

Biggest downside is the possibility of freezing the tube leading to the torch head if you do prolonged bursts.  Just do not try to invert the tube and let the flame thaw it out - unless you ask someone to hold your beer first - and get someone else to video it.)

And seconding the availability, if not the presence, of the FD.  You might tempt them with an offer of wildfire suppression training, or the chance to drive your bulldozer while making firebreaks. [popcorn]

stay safe.

They have essentially the same thing, but in a liquid model. Although you then need a tank rigged for inverted or bottom draw.

http://www.flameengineering.com/Liquid_Torch_Kits.html

A second line that feeds diesel pressurized by a nitrogen tank shouldn't be too hard to add.  :angel:
I promise not to duck.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 03:45:12 AM »
Emptied handheld ABC fire extinguisher, 1/2-2/3 full of diesel(please no gas), re-charge with shop air and rubber tip blownozzle to appropriate gauge position. Handheld propane torch makes a handy lighter.  It's lotsa fun. [popcorn] >:D

Never ever leave one charged and laying around. Not real spiffy if it gets mistaken for a fire extinguisher and used.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »
A buddy told me about these fire ignition "ping pong balls" the forest service uses to ignite remote burns.

This seems like tech we should have for the APS castle trebuchet.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 09:32:05 AM »
Emptied handheld ABC fire extinguisher, 1/2-2/3 full of diesel(please no gas), re-charge with shop air and rubber tip blownozzle to appropriate gauge position. Handheld propane torch makes a handy lighter.  It's lotsa fun. [popcorn] >:D

Never ever leave one charged and laying around. Not real spiffy if it gets mistaken for a fire extinguisher and used.

Sounds like a scene from a Hollywood comedy.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:02:40 AM »
A buddy told me about these fire ignition "ping pong balls" the forest service uses to ignite remote burns.
I'm sure they are packed with some goodies, but some varieties of ping-pong balls burn like the dickens all on their own.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 10:11:02 AM »
Most places probably require a burn permit for that sort of thing.

Might even need the FD standing by ...  =|

Usual process is to establish a fire break, and then light it off with a drip torch or road flare.

Yes, normally. Except for religious ceremonies or the following:

"Any fire set by a resident for the purposes of clearing their property of wood, yard trimming or tree branches (or clean up of unwanted material generated or produced on the property on which it is being burned"

With a laundry list of "provided that", which is essentially don't do anything stupid and notify the police first. Fire company doesn't need to be on standby. Can't be within 150 feet of any structures unless enclosed. etc.

But yes, the flamethrower would have secondary purposes such as weed control on the driveway and any brick, heretic control, and possibly a few others. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
Let the int3rnetz be your guide.
I'm pretty sure I saw youtube videos of a teeneage who built a pretty impressive flamethrower out of hardware store items a few years ago.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »
Let the int3rnetz be your guide.
I'm pretty sure I saw youtube videos of a teeneage who built a pretty impressive flamethrower out of hardware store items a few years ago.

Looking into professionally manufactured ones.

I could (and would) build a significantly better flamethrower than that thin metal stuff being linked above. Thicker metal, more ceramic, and pressurization systems. Not that I've ever made any in the past. Specifically not ones that use those green Coleman cylinders.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »
Looking into professionally manufactured ones.

I could (and would) build a significantly better flamethrower than that thin metal stuff being linked above. Thicker metal, more ceramic, and pressurization systems. Not that I've ever made any in the past. Specifically not ones that use those green Coleman cylinders.

*gigglesnort*
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
Yes, normally. Except for religious ceremonies or the following:

"Any fire set by a resident for the purposes of clearing their property of wood, yard trimming or tree branches (or clean up of unwanted material generated or produced on the property on which it is being burned"

With a laundry list of "provided that", which is essentially don't do anything stupid and notify the police first. Fire company doesn't need to be on standby. Can't be within 150 feet of any structures unless enclosed. etc.

But yes, the flamethrower would have secondary purposes such as weed control on the driveway and any brick, heretic control, and possibly a few others. 

The "burn permits" around here mean call the non-emergency sheriff number and tell the dispatcher where you are going to light something off, mostly to keep half the county from being paged out for a FIRE!

But we don't burn around here except in the winter or early spring.  Right now we are of course on an absolute burn ban.  Not supposed to even run mowers and chain saws, etc after 1pm.

If the brush that you want to get rid of will burn, then it will likely burn by itself with a more sedentary ignition source, such as a road flare or maybe a bic lighter.

You just have to make sure that you don't burn down your house.  OTOH, your house might make good kindling to start the brush  :P

You can use a driveway, green lawn, hand line, or wet line for containment.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »
Remove the nozzle from a propane torch and you can get quite a flame from the end of the remaining pipe, especially when you invert the cylinder. Or so I've heard.

When I was in grammar school, I found out that a compressor and paint sprayer  (with the latter filled with gasoline and Fels naptha soap) can, with some modifications to the nozzle, make a credible flamethrower. At least, according to some guys I barely knew whose names I've long forgotten.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 08:08:29 PM »
Potential Virus.
One day at a time.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 10:03:06 PM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »
???

That's...random.

Apparently the internet freaked out at the thought of me reaquiring pyroweaponry

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 10:08:14 PM »
???

That's...random.

It's the Icky-Spider Virus  ;)