Author Topic: Nagant 1895 opinions wanted  (Read 4560 times)

Lee

• friend
Nagant 1895 opinions wanted
« on: July 14, 2012, 11:17:55 AM »
A local store is running them in an ad this week.  Not the best price, but I do like to buy guns in person at the old brick and mortar stores.  I've seen them around for years, but don't think I've ever held one in my hand.  I did a fair amount of reading about them online last night and I'm considering adding one to the safe, just for grins more than likely, since I rarely get out to shoot these day. Are they kinda fun just to have, hold and admire ...and possibly even shoot?  The ammo is very cool...expensive...but sitting in the safe, it won't cost me much.   

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Nagant 1895 opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 11:41:40 AM »
You are refering to the pistol, right?
Have one.  It's pretty cool but rather impractical as anything but a curiosity today.  The ammo is often hard to find, though Fiochi of Italy does make it and I've seen it at Cabela's.
You can get an optional .32ACP cylinder if you want to use more common ammo.  It will require minor gunsmithing of the gun's pawl to make it work.
That it can use .32 should give you an idea of how powerful it is.
Which is NOT powerful.
But it is a fun piece of history to own.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »
But it is a fun piece of history to own.

That's what I'm thinking.  For roughly $120 bucks, it looks like it might be an interesting piece to have.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
It's a functional revolver for $120.

Why are there questions?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 11:58:13 AM »
That's what I'm thinking.  For roughly $120 bucks, it looks like it might be an interesting piece to have.

I'd snap it up quick then, they only made so many.

It's a functional revolver for $120.

Why are there questions?

Well, it's more of a historical artifact than a gun that would be really practical today.  If you want a CCW gun a .38 snubbie would be a better choice and a better caliber.
Not everyone is interested in a century old Soviet/Russian handgun that was underpowered even in its day.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »
Crappy, heavy triggers, odd, expensive ammo, poor overall quality.  What's not to like?

Personally, I'd put that $120 in the gunsafe, add some to it from time to time, and buy a good gun. 

If you're patient, you can find good revolvers from Ruger or S&W for $250-$350 that will be worth owning and shooting.   If you're very patient, there are Colt Police Positives in 38Special for under $400 (in one week, I saw 4-5 in shootable, but not safe-queen, condition for $325-$425).

Chris

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »
Let me clarify...My pistol/revolver needs are covered (too well probably). I'm just asking if this is $120 worth of interesting - e.g. is this something you might own, and pull out of the safe every once in a awhile to admire the design, feel, history... or is it something you wish you never bought?  The store that has them is about 40 minutes from my house. Not that far, but I'm trying to decide whether it's worth making the trip today. I've got gun stores closer to home that sell ammo and whatnot a lot cheaper, so the trip would be specifically to check out the Nagant.

"Personally, I'd put that $120 in the gunsafe, add some to it from time to time, and buy a good gun."
Good point though.  Another local store is clearing out S&W m10's this week for $240...but I've owned a number of M10's in the past...and like I said, I don't think I've ever held a Nagant in my hand during my 30+ years of buying, trading, selling guns. Besides, I have a $120 of spouse free (covert) cash in my wallet today...but not $240 :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:12:03 PM by Lee »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »
It is the only revolver that can effectively fitted with a supressor.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »
That is an interesting feature.  I'm leaning toward driving down there to take a look.  At least I'll be able to say I actually held one.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »
I'd snap it up quick then, they only made so many.

This.

Think about every other historical/collectible/surplus or oddball piece you drool over and feel wistful for the time they were "cheap" when now they're not and are "rare" and all are tied up in collections.

The trigger is the heaviest I've ever felt in a production firearm, I mean it it is LOL  :rofl: crazy heavy. Single action is still heavier than most triggers even in DA/DAO mode.

Ammo IS CHEAP (relatively speaking) for right now again. And while 7.62 Nagant was never a barn-burner, it was more potent than most people think. Namely because the Fiocci and Privi Partizan ammo loads for it are so weak, because they could cut costs this way, and they figured (correctly) that hardly anyone would be using it as actual defensive or service ammo.

The latest lots of Russian surplus ammo from the 1970's are much hotter. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A76238RFMJ&name=Russian+7.62x38R+FMJ+14rd+box&groupid=124 $.29 a round if you buy a whole can of 1092 at once.

Reloadability of 7.62x38R? Forget it. The unique way the bullet is seated below the cartridge mouth, and it's narrowed/crimped mouth around it stresses the brass just too much, and  even a single reloading will split it. I've read peoples experiments on Castboolits experimenting with .223 dies to try and replicate it... Pure frustration.

Lee does have a die for the Nagant it though, however it does not produce Nagant spec ammo. Rather than just using other .32's that will chamber okay in something close to it's nominal OAL, but the brass which is cut from some other .32 load's cases is much shorter and does not cover the round, or protrude far enough to create the gas-seal. But it is a better fit than any of the other compatible .32's out there.

The .32 ACP cylinders if you can find one on Gunbroker are an option, but that was probably a good idea 10 years ago when European countries were surplusing off their .32ACP/7.62 Browning ammo in the 90's and early 2000's as they had all upgraded to 9mm service weapons. Now with the best deals on factory .32 ACP running around $.30 each if you get a 1000 round case of Privi, you might as well just stock up on the Nagant ammo. If it's to be a curio, a can of 1092 will likely last you a lifetime. Otherwise,  you could just reload for .32 S&W long or even .32 H&R Mag. and use the factory cylinder. Either round fills the chamber length with less free-bore better than .32 ACP anyway.
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »
Crappy, heavy triggers, odd, expensive ammo, poor overall quality.  What's not to like?

Personally, I'd put that $120 in the gunsafe, add some to it from time to time, and buy a good gun. 

If you're patient, you can find good revolvers from Ruger or S&W for $250-$350 that will be worth owning and shooting.   If you're very patient, there are Colt Police Positives in 38Special for under $400 (in one week, I saw 4-5 in shootable, but not safe-queen, condition for $325-$425).

Chris

I see the ads for the Nagants, consider buying one for maybe 15 to 20 seconds, and then realize that -- even for me -- it would colossally idiotic to spend money on such an ugly and impractical firearm. For around $200 you can buy a brand new .38 Special revolver from Armscor, that shoots modern ammunition and has a warranty backed by real people with a stellar reputation for customer satisfaction.

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=140

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »
I'm just asking if this is $120 worth of interesting - e.g. is this something you might own, and pull out of the safe every once in a awhile to admire the design, feel, history... or is it something you wish you never bought?

Admire the design?

That was a joke, right? The Nagant is arguably one of the ugliest revolvers I've ever seen. The sliding chamber seal function is technologically interesting, but I already read that article -- I don't need to own one to know about it.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
 I did buy one today. I think it's a very interesting design.  Not real functional I guess, but it served actively for ~ 55-60 years?
DA trigger does suck indeed, but I don't think SA is bad at all. It's still layered in cosmoline, so I'm sure it will improve with cleaning.

The appeal to me is that this might have been strapped to the belt of a soldier entering Berlin, or whatnot.

Been awhile since I've posted a link or pic.  not sure if this will work ...but here goes. Izhevsk 1943r.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:53:46 PM by Lee »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 10:04:09 PM »
I've always wanted to get one of those. I'll probably snatch one up next time I see one at a gun show for a good price. I figure, why not own one?

I really need to get a C&R so i can just have one ordered to me.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »
A local store is running them in an ad this week.  Not the best price, but I do like to buy guns in person at the old brick and mortar stores.  I've seen them around for years, but don't think I've ever held one in my hand.  I did a fair amount of reading about them online last night and I'm considering adding one to the safe, just for grins more than likely, since I rarely get out to shoot these day. Are they kinda fun just to have, hold and admire ...and possibly even shoot?  The ammo is very cool...expensive...but sitting in the safe, it won't cost me much.   

I can't see owning it for anything other than a curiosity.  But, if you and your budget are OK with owning a curiosity with minimal utility, go for it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
I can remember when $80 Russian SKS's were stretching my budget.  Bought and sold a couple at that price.  Now I wish I had put my life savings into $80 SKS's and Swede rifles. 

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »
Wow Hawk, thanks for the hat tip! I wonder if stores in the Reno area have them.

I have read mixed reviews about armscor , but I had been thinking having a few guns/ammo to trade  for after the EMP apocalypse this coming winter might be a good idea.

I might be able to buy one before the end of the world this December/February

I see the ads for the Nagants, consider buying one for maybe 15 to 20 seconds, and then realize that -- even for me -- it would colossally idiotic to spend money on such an ugly and impractical firearm. For around $200 you can buy a brand new .38 Special revolver from Armscor, that shoots modern ammunition and has a warranty backed by real people with a stellar reputation for customer satisfaction.

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=140

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »
Another thought....there are a lot of surplus Taurus "K-frame"  .38SPL revolvers coming into the US from the Brazilian police agencies, supposedly in good condition. I looked at one yesterday at Gander Mountain....nice gun. Might even be covered under Taurus' warranty.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 08:46:05 AM »
Another thought....there are a lot of surplus Taurus "K-frame"  .38SPL revolvers coming into the US from the Brazilian police agencies, supposedly in good condition. I looked at one yesterday at Gander Mountain....nice gun. Might even be covered under Taurus' warranty.

I've been seeing those at gun shows lately.  The ones that are arriving here in VA aren't in good condition and aren't covered by Taurus' warranty.  However, for $175-$225, they make good house guns.  They do shoot reasonably well.  Buddy of mine bought one and I completely stripped it down to component parts, cleaned it well, lubed it, and put it back together.  Prior to that, it was very lazy timing-wise, now it's fine (well, as fine as a Taurus gets ;) ).

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
Another thought....there are a lot of surplus Taurus "K-frame"  .38SPL revolvers coming into the US from the Brazilian police agencies, supposedly in good condition. I looked at one yesterday at Gander Mountain....nice gun. Might even be covered under Taurus' warranty.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they are, not having been imported by Taurus USA.  IF that's the case, parts might be a little iffy, especially if you need one of those that Taurus won't sell.

However, for $175-$225, they make good house guns.

For the price, though, I'd risk it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:06:45 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 11:46:06 AM »
i am another who will applaud your purchase of a totally impractical weapon.  old milsurp firearms are just too interesting to not pick up if the price is right.  have fun with it, and i for one would like to get a range report!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »
They are obsolete, underpowered, poorly-triggered, with expensive ammo. (like everyone said above)

And I still want one.  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »
I want Minnesota to pull it's head out of it's nether regions and allow suppressors. Then I want to get one for my Nagant.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 02:25:54 PM »
Before I had to sell all my guns I had bought one for $109 with all the goodies and dropped another $40 for the .32 cylinder.

I'm not a big fan of revolvers to begin with (only owned one one other and it was a gift).

Horrible trigger in both DA and SA

Hard to find and almost impossible to reload ammo.

If and when Illinois ever gets CCW, I wouldn't carry it, and won't carry it when I'm out of state and can CCW.

Having said that, I was (and will be again, once the divorce is over and I don't have to worry about her filing an order to have my guns taken), on a history kick.  I had bought a 1943 M1 Garand, a 1916 Berlin K98, and a 1917 Mosin 91 (at the same time I bought the 1915 Nagant 1895), and was looking for a WWI'ish SMLE, a 1917 Enfield and 1903 Springfield.  Guns that had fought in Europe, at least once and maybe twice.  All except for the CMP Garand are complete in that all the original serial numbered parts match.

And the 1895 Nagant has gone up $20 in a little over a year.  As someone said.  They are not making any more.  And guns just keep going up in value.

If it goes bang when you pull the trigger and it makes you happy in some way, then there is no such thing as a bad gun purchase.  Congrats !!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:52:40 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »
Wow Hawk, thanks for the hat tip! I wonder if stores in the Reno area have them.

I have read mixed reviews about armscor , but I had been thinking having a few guns/ammo to trade  for after the EMP apocalypse this coming winter might be a good idea.

I might be able to buy one before the end of the world this December/February

Advanced Tactical Firearms, the Armscor off-shoot that's the importer and warranty center, happens to be in Pahrump ...

Tell Ivan I sent you.