Author Topic: Obama: No One Successful Made it on Their Own  (Read 13167 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 07:05:04 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Obama: No One Succesful Made it on Their Own
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:13:29 PM »
More proof that Obama is more full of *expletive deleted*it than a Christmas turkey.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:40:03 PM »
 :facepalm: [barf]

I am sick and tired of this meme.  Seems to me Clinton did this too, as well as a number of other demorats.
Obama has no highground on this matter.
I don't think he's ever even operated a lemonade stand................................. :mad:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:51:08 PM »
When I started my first business (photo studio), local, state and federal government did innumerable things to make me want to give up. Until I hired an assistant in the third year, I did everything myself.

I can almost guarantee that the people who run around repeating this tired mantra have never run a business. It's just more justification to take money from those who've earned it and give it to those who haven't.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:21:17 AM »
He must be right. If success were the result of intelligence or hard work, Barack Obama would never have risen to the highest office in the land.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 12:50:27 AM »
I think psychologists call Obama's statement projection.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 01:24:18 AM »
This has been a talking point of the Left for the past 1.5 years. Kind of peaked with the OWS crowd.

The idea being that you couldn't be a millionaire if it weren't for roads, pub schools, the military keeping whoever from invading us, and this somehow justifies ever higher progressive tax rates.

Of course, like so many of the Left's arguments, it's a typical straw-man fallacy.

They don't want to get into any kind of discussion of taxes paid vs. services consumed. Nor are they interested in hearing about the fact the person or business entity in question paid taxes commensurate to their income or holdings "on their way up".
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 01:40:37 AM »
This has been a talking point of the Left for the past 1.5 years. Kind of peaked with the OWS crowd.

The idea being that you couldn't be a millionaire if it weren't for roads, pub schools, the military keeping whoever from invading us, and this somehow justifies ever higher progressive tax rates.

Interesting how I use roads, and Mitt Romney uses roads, but I am not a millionaire. Interesting how public schooling is available to me and to 50 Cent, but I am not a millionaire. Interesting how Bill Gates and I both enjoy the benefits of national defense, a criminal justice system, and so on, yet I am not a millionaire.

Why, it's almost as if these people did something differently than I did, that allowed them to make more money than I make. Maybe they made different choices than I've made. Fascinating.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 01:49:20 AM »
Y'know, it's funny that someone who takes credit for everything good that happens, from the killing of bin Laden to increased domestic oil production, won't allow that someone else did something himself.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »
Obama's argument is so very easy to pick apart...
Who paid for or will be paying for the bridges, roads, government services?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 06:55:18 PM »
Spoken with the experience only a post turtle can have.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »
I guess it was just good luck that I studied my butt off in college and got better grades than everyone else  ;/

I told one of my professors that I cheated: I did my homework  :lol:

I could be a lot more financially successfull right now if I moved to some hell-hole city and worked year around, but I choose to enjoy what years I may have left.  I am pretty much to the point of "shrugging" and this latest crap from the Communist in Chief is good reason.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Re: Obama: No One Successful Made it on Their Own
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »
A friend of mine, Citizen Scribe, had some remarks on this.  Reproduced here with permission:

By: Citizen Scribe

While this has the potential to become quite contentious, permit me to offer a couple of points.

Some of my friends and I disagree a bit on the essence of the money quote, the "f you have a business, you didn't build that" thing. Their take is that he meant it as he said it. And my take is "yes, but…"

And here is my "yes but…"

The entire quote runs to about two paragraphs. It is clear that his meaning is that no one who succeeds can take all the credit for having succeeded, because the government made his success possible.

His semi-inarticulate blunder -- the money quote -- amounts to a Freudian slip of epic proportions.

Yeah, sure, he meant to say that those who built a business didn't build the roads and bridges, but what he really means -- under all the awkward wording -- is that you didn't build that. He goes on at length to make his "point" that without the government's help, without the government's having established all the infrastructure, you would have had nowhere to stand in order to accomplish your success. (He conveniently omits that every freeloading loser had that same infrastructure available.)

His "money quote" is the clearest, most succinct distillation of what he means here.

Yeah, he slipped up in trying to make the point, and gave his opponents a super clean sound bite, but that sound bite -- even with all its "out of context" framing -- is exactly what he meant.

The honest interpretation boils down to exactly that sound bite. It doesn't matter what his intended wording was, what he actually said is what he actually means.

And this goes deeper…

He's desperately trying to make the point that no one is responsible for his own success.

And why is that, Doktor Freud?

It's because he is not, himself, responsible for his own success.

He's a "made man." And not just figuratively speaking, either. He is an entirely manufactured phenomenon. There's no "there" there. He's a story, not a person.

A whole cadre of people collaborated to put him where he is. People of great means and evil intent financed him. People of letters and evil intent educated him. People with power to grab and an axe to grind propelled him. And none of this is unknown to him.

He knows he's a made man. He knows who made him.

And he can't interpret success through any other lens.

So, while I agree that he "meant" to say that a businessman didn't build the infrastructure, I also see clearly that he really means that no one who succeeds did it himself.

His money quote betrays him.

We need to hit this and hit it hard. It is his essence.

The money quote sound bite can be the intro, and a "summary clarification" can be made that he said two paragraphs of stuff, but the ultimate intent of his slam on business people and those who strive to succeed is embodied in that very quote.

Don't cut him any slack on this.

Couch it in whatever terms you must, but after you take the time to "clarify" the context, take that clarification all the way out: in the end, he said exactly what he means.

And he means it because it is an entirely and excruciatingly precisely accurate self-description.

He is that person about whom he speaks.

Make him own that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:31:13 PM by ArfinGreebly »
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »
he "meant" to say that a businessman didn't build the infrastructure

Actually, some businessmen (construction contractors) DID build the infrastructure  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »
Actually, some businessmen (construction contractors) DID build the infrastructure  :P

Yeah, but they couldn't have done it without inspectors, and permits, and the zoning commission, and union kickbacks....uh, wait....
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
Yeah, but they couldn't have done it without inspectors, and permits, and the zoning commission, and union kickbacks....uh, wait....

Don't forget OSHA and fuel taxes  :angel:

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 05:31:27 PM »
If I was trying to hit the whole list I'd still be typing...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 05:54:29 PM »
Am I missing something here? Where did the gov get the money to build these roads and pay the salaries of these .gov employees? Taxes from the folks who didn't become successful on their own?

He has it all backward. All this great "success-building" infrastructure is here as a result of successful capitalists, entrepreneurs, and all the other folks who work (successfully) for a living.

Makes me want to slap the back of his head. Hard.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »
i had a kid tell me how lucky i was.  i said he could get up at 3 am with me for the next 3 years and see if that changed his luck
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
He's a "made man." And not just figuratively speaking, either. He is an entirely manufactured phenomenon. There's no "there" there. He's a story, not a person.

<quibble>"Made Man" implies he did something to be recognized by his affiliated group.  I would prefer to use "Made Up Man"</quibble>
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 06:55:58 PM »

I like you so much right now.  :lol:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »

I suspect it would splatter.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »

POP! Swoooosh....

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »
Nah, it would just be a hollow gesture. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:49 AM »
Obama insisting that there's no way to become successful without help:
The post turtle's perspective.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain