Author Topic: CO. Movie House Attack  (Read 33919 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
CO. Movie House Attack
« on: July 20, 2012, 05:48:10 AM »
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/20/12850048-14-dead-after-shooting-during-dark-knight-screening-in-aurora-colorado?lite

Aurora, CO. midnight screening of the new Batman film.

I just caught this on the early morning news.
There are at least 10 dead, and 50 wounded.
Looks like a lone gunman, who was captured.

This is ridiculous. What is wrong with people these days?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:37:46 PM by adively »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: CO. Movie House Attack
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 06:52:35 AM »
Local radio keeps reminding us the Aurora is only 30 miles or so from Columbine.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:47:29 PM by scout26 »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »
any chance the guy went to colombine high?  maybe there's something in the water?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:47:46 PM by scout26 »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 07:22:55 AM »
Local radio said that the suspect is a 24 year old white male and is in custody.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:48:02 PM by scout26 »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »
An FBI official told NBC News that the agency was working with local authorities on the investigation, but that there was no early indication of a link to terrorism.

Hmmmm.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:48:18 PM by scout26 »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »
So is Aurora the new Gotham?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:48:31 PM by scout26 »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
Gas, dark theatre, overwhelming firepower. How are we supposed to protect against that?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:48:45 PM by scout26 »
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 09:10:55 AM »
Gas, dark theatre, overwhelming firepower. How are we supposed to protect against that?

Short of wearing a bullet-proof vest everywhere you go, I don't believe you can. Of course, you also can't really protect yourself from some maniac deciding to mow a bunch of people down with his car, either.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:49:00 PM by scout26 »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 09:12:44 AM »
In a statement, Obama said: "We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded. As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family."

If there is no link to terrorisim, then how is it the Federal Government's responsiblity to investigate or prosocute this crime?  Who is this "we" he is talking about?  What a stain.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:49:15 PM by scout26 »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:11:16 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/aurora-dark-knight-shooting-suspect-identified-james-holmes-115717096--abc-news-topstories.html

"The young man who is in custody after allegedly gunning down 12 people in a mass shooting spree overnight in Aurora, Colorado has been identified as local resident James Holmes, according to federal authorities."

"Law enforcement officials and witnesses told ABC News Holmes, 24, wore what appeared to be a bullet-proof vest and riot-type mask as he opened fire"

It sounds like the man's mther is not at all surprised.

Gas, gas mask, body armor, riot helmet...
I wonder if the shooter wasn't some sort of cop wannabe, someone who washed out of police training, or even a cop who went off the deep end.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:49:26 PM by scout26 »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:33:47 AM »
Get ready for the AWB push.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:49:39 PM by scout26 »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 10:35:40 AM »
Get ready for the AWB push.

Clearly, we need a tear gas ban, and a gas mask ban.

What leaps off the page (screen) about this is the hypocrisy of our government in general. Here we have a dozen prople dead and scores injured, but it ISN'T "terrorism." But one guy overreacts to a shrewish wife with harsh words during a contentious divorce proceeding, and he gets charged with "Terroristic" threatening. We need one definition of what "terrorism" is, and we need everybody to stick to it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:49:59 PM by scout26 »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »
It was obvious to me that the original "terrorist" statements were with respect to international-type terrorist activity.  But, by definition, this guy did engage in terrorist activity.  And don't get me started about the crap "terrorst threats" laws.  Another bit of "feel good" legislation in response to a tragedy passed by legislators looking only to have something to advertise when they run for re-election.

The really important thing for all of us to do is put this scenario in mind and think now about what you would want to do if you were in a packed theater and something like this happened.  be as mentally prepared as possible.  When the first shot pops is not a good time to start thinking about what to do...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:50:20 PM by scout26 »
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »

Don't be there.  As in, don't be in large public gatherings.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:50:34 PM by scout26 »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »
Going to see the film tonight with some friends.  Lovely!  =|
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:50:49 PM by scout26 »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 11:43:57 AM »
Don't be there.  As in, don't be in large public gatherings.

I refuse to be so scared of the exceedingly small chance of something like this happening that I turn into a hermit, cowering in terror at the thought of being surrounded by other people. Life has risks, and everyone dies eventually. Refusing to live to delay the inevitable as long as possible is foolish.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:51:01 PM by scout26 »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 12:30:51 PM »
I have a request to make.
Can we not play into the gun-control folks hands by continuing to refer to this as a shooting? Yes, it was a shooting. But referring to it as such, over and over again, sets up a psychological association between this shooting being bad and guns being bad that we don't need to proliferate.

In addition to being a shooting, it was also a tragedy, an attack, a massacre, a crime, an act of violence, murder and assault, the list goes on. It's just a matter of time before Obama and the rest of the anti's spin this into an example and justification. We don't need to help them any more than we have to.

CO Movie House Attack would be a much better thread title.

Just saying.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:51:13 PM by scout26 »
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 12:39:04 PM »
I'm sure we'd all like to think we could be in a situation like this and save the day with our CCW, but a crowded theater?

If I was there, I would likely be looking for cover versus trying to save the day. I might have my hand on or near my pistol in case the nut job gets close to where I was, but taking a shot at him form wherever? If it was as crowded as the stories indicate, you'd have just as good a chance of hitting a panicking movie-goer that ran into your line of fire just as you pulled the trigger as you would hitting the nut job. Even if you drew when he approached close to you, with panicking people surrounding you within touching distance, again, it would be hard to get a shot off, and there's the chance someone mistakes you for another bad guy and you get piled on by other people trying to save the day, or piled on by a mob running for the exit.

If I were in a secure shooting position with a clean shot, maybe I'd try to save the day. Otherwise, duck and cover, and if it looks like you or your loved ones are next in line, do what you need to do and take your chances I guess. From the description of the shooting scene so far, it's hard for me to come up with some kind of action hero, save the day response.

This is probably why I like to avoid crowded places.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:51:27 PM by scout26 »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 12:40:31 PM »
Can we not play into the gun-control folks hands by continuing to refer to this as a shooting? Yes, it was a shooting. But referring to it as such, over and over again, sets up a psychological association between this shooting being bad and guns being bad that we don't need to proliferate.

In addition to being a shooting, it was also a tragedy, an attack, a massacre, a crime, an act of violence, murder and assault, the list goes on. It's just a matter of time before Obama and the rest of the anti's spin this into an example and justification. We don't need to help them any more than we have to.

Just saying.

I agree.  Thread title changed on the main forum listing.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:51:41 PM by scout26 »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »

Just saying.

Concur, especially the bolded portion.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:51:55 PM by scout26 »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 12:53:45 PM »
Reports are coming out that his apartment is booby-trapped, per the FBI.  They have evacuated several (i believe the number was 5) buildings in the complex and are trying to figure out how to disable the bomb(s).  

I think "terrorist" now applies, but his motivations (if any) are currently unknown, and any guesses (other then nutjob) are pure speculation at this point.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 12:53:59 PM »
Shooter is 24-year-old medical student from San Diego who just dropped out of a PhD program in neuroscience at Colorado University.

Neuroscience.

So, now what, he was sampling the chemistry of his department's specialty?

He dropped out because he wasn't crazy enough to continue with the program?

Should PhD programs come with warning labels?

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 02:21:45 PM »
I'm shocked, no I'm not, I'm actually simply incredulous at the blindness of the lefties:

First, the leftist journalist tweets:

Shortly thereafter, he retweeted these:

THEN he says:

(From: http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2012/07/20/it-begins-good-morning-america-blames-tea-party-for-dark-knight-massacre/)

Hey, buddy? If your knee-jerk reaction hadn't been to think about how this proves we need more gun control, maybe you wouldn't see the right reacting to YOUR PUSH FOR MORE GUN CONTROL.  :facepalm:

Honestly, this is a terrible attack. I wish we could simply grieve and allow victims to grieve and heal, but the gun wasn't even cold before leftists were trying to politicize this attack. Sick.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »

*Bad taste alert.*

Well, we now have new meme for munging gun control with First Amendment restrictions:  "hey, you can't just yell open fire in a crowded theater."

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 02:30:18 PM »
I'm shocked, no I'm not, I'm actually simply incredulous at the blindness of the lefties:
Hey, buddy? If your knee-jerk reaction hadn't been to think about how this proves we need more gun control, maybe you wouldn't see the right reacting to YOUR PUSH FOR MORE GUN CONTROL.  :facepalm:

Honestly, this is a terrible attack. I wish we could simply grieve and allow victims to grieve and heal, but the gun wasn't even cold before leftists were trying to politicize this attack. Sick.

+100000
The people trying to blame political pundits for ..."inspiring" people like Holmes also disturb me deeply.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero