Author Topic: CO. Movie House Attack  (Read 33928 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: CO. Movie House Attack
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »
I've also heard a story that said the police were shooting. Were any of the victims due to "friendly fire"?

And I saw a report that some of the patrons were met at the exits by "armed guards" (note: Not "police"), who checked them for weapons before they were allowed to leave.

???
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »
If I was there, I would likely be looking for cover versus trying to save the day. I might have my hand on or near my pistol in case the nut job gets close to where I was, but taking a shot at him form wherever? If it was as crowded as the stories indicate, you'd have just as good a chance of hitting a panicking movie-goer that ran into your line of fire just as you pulled the trigger as you would hitting the nut job. Even if you drew when he approached close to you, with panicking people surrounding you within touching distance, again, it would be hard to get a shot off, and there's the chance someone mistakes you for another bad guy and you get piled on by other people trying to save the day, or piled on by a mob running for the exit.

If I were in a secure shooting position with a clean shot, maybe I'd try to save the day. Otherwise, duck and cover, and if it looks like you or your loved ones are next in line, do what you need to do and take your chances I guess. From the description of the shooting scene so far, it's hard for me to come up with some kind of action hero, save the day response.

This is probably why I like to avoid crowded places.

If this guy is cranking off rounds and you had a shot, either great or not so great it would be worth taking.
I would not feel bad about winging someone else if I thought I could stop him and save my arz.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2012, 09:28:31 PM »
Darkened theater, full of panicking innocents, and filling with a choking smoke.  Probably real hard, if not impossible, to find the Badguy in that situation.  Meanwhile, he can just crank off rounds in some general direction and be pretty sure of hitting someone.

I don't care how much training you have, that's a sucky tactical situation.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2012, 10:16:37 PM »
Well, latest on Fox News is the police stating he had, "6000 rounds with the ability to shoot 50 rounds a minute."

And they're saying all 6K rounds were bought on the Internet. That won't be good. Either a potential ban, or panic ammo buying because of fear of a potential ban.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »
I'm in the get down, stay down and only shoot back if he's coming straight at you.

A movie theater is probably the worst location to set up a person with a CCW to play hero.
Too many people, too much panick, little visibility (made worse in this case by smoke) even your hearing is going to be off.
Have you ever noticed being slightly disoriented when you get up after a long movie? I hate walking up the aisle, I get a little dizzy on the slope. I imagine that isn't improved by a madman shooting up the joint and throwing a smoke bomb.

Unless you got lucky and the guy was standing right in front of you, you would be unlikely to stop this.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2012, 11:14:48 PM »
Well, latest on Fox News is the police stating he had, "6000 rounds with the ability to shoot 50 rounds a minute."

And they're saying all 6K rounds were bought on the Internet. That won't be good. Either a potential ban, or panic ammo buying because of fear of a potential ban.
And I guess he was carrying all 6000 rounds in some super duper load bearing ammo vest.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2012, 11:20:35 PM »
Darkened theater, full of panicking innocents, and filling with a choking smoke.  Probably real hard, if not impossible, to find the Badguy in that situation.  Meanwhile, he can just crank off rounds in some general direction and be pretty sure of hitting someone.

I don't care how much training you have, that's a sucky tactical situation.
Plus, you are likely carrying a smaller pistol that you may or may not be a great shot with past 15 or 20 yards and being a movie premier, this is not likely a small theater.  Unless you happen to be close, it is NOT the best place to start trying to pick off the guy.  Plus, my luck he would see me and (if he knew anything at all about the AR) he could pick me off across the theater with the rifle much easier than I could with a carry pistol.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2012, 11:48:07 PM »
When I google James Rhodes, this is the result that shows up most often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Machine

Sorry, had the wrong name.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:03:13 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »
When I google James Rhodes, this is the result that shows up most often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Machine

Maybe you should Google John Holmes instead....   ;/

Plus, you are likely carrying a smaller pistol that you may or may not be a great shot with past 15 or 20 yards and being a movie premier, this is not likely a small theater.  Unless you happen to be close, it is NOT the best place to start trying to pick off the guy.  Plus, my luck he would see me and (if he knew anything at all about the AR) he could pick me off across the theater with the rifle much easier than I could with a carry pistol.

That will be on my next practice cycle.

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2012, 12:20:13 AM »

That will be on my next practice cycle.
Which one?  Picking off a riflemen across a crowded theater with a pistol, or picking off a concealed carry holder with a rifle across a crowded theater?  

:laugh:

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2012, 01:40:05 AM »
If this guy is cranking off rounds and you had a shot, either great or not so great it would be worth taking.
I would not feel bad about winging someone else if I thought I could stop him and save my arz.

So basically, you risk becoming a murderer just like the psycho - that's what it would amount to under the circumstances. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2012, 02:05:32 AM »
Yeah, De Selby. Avoid the risk of possibly hitting someone, anyone. Let the guy murder 200 people. Just don't take the chance that you might miss.  ;/

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2012, 02:06:52 AM »
Yeah, De Selby. Avoid the risk of possibly hitting someone, anyone. Let the guy murder 200 people. Just don't take the chance that you might miss.  ;/

Yeah, I think it's fair to observe the difference between shooting into a crowded dark theater where hitting an innocent person is an incredibly likely outcome and other possible scenarios - you are responsible for your own bullets, even when someone else is shooting.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2012, 02:41:58 AM »
I'm only now reading up on what happened and getting news, I always try to figure out what I would do in case of an emergency when in crowded areas. Something I learned in the BSA as a kid / always know where the emergency exits are in case of fire or other emergency/be prepared.

In this case I would be sitting near the middle of the seats at least ten rows up, I probably would have hit the floor and waited for a clear shot.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2012, 03:33:01 AM »
De Selby, you neglected to include this part of never_retreat's statement.

If you have a great shot or a not-so-great shot, with a good probability of hitting the suspect and low probability of hitting an innocent, why not take it? IIRC, most state laws provide some leeway regarding innocents being hit in a defensive shooting.

I'm not suggesting shooting into the crowd.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2012, 08:55:11 AM »
Which one?  Picking off a riflemen across a crowded theater with a pistol, or picking off a concealed carry holder with a rifle across a crowded theater?  

:laugh:

Don't make me tell BSL that it was your idea....

Actually, practicing shots at 25+yds. under stress & cover with a CCW-sized pistol. I may not be precise, but I'm sure I can make him duck.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2012, 08:57:57 AM »
So basically, you risk becoming a murderer just like the psycho - that's what it would amount to under the circumstances. 

Thanks for posting a comment dumber than mine. Takes the heat off.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »
Was watching TV last night, and one of the talking heads on the news mentioned that "they" thought the perp had taken some prescription meds a few hours before the shooting.

We'll have to keep an eye on this to see if it's in fact true, but considering how many of the previous mass shootings involved a perp who was on prescription meds, I can't help but wonder if this is another triumph of the pill-pushing quacks of modern psychiatry.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2012, 10:23:12 AM »

Do you understand what 'murder' actually is?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2012, 11:02:18 AM »

A murderer?

Seriously, this is over the top even for you. Accidently hitting or even killing a third party bystander in the act of shooting at an assailant in self defense is certainly unfortunate and regrettable, and (depending on circumstances) may even be deemed negligent homicide, but under no circumstances could it be construed as "murder."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lee

• friend
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2012, 11:16:34 AM »
Responding with gun fire is not always (or is even rarely) the best option.  As someone with a CCP, I've always worried that I would not make the smartest choice in a given situation, because I would be to focused on using my pistol, rather than doing the smartest thing.  I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone in this terrible situation, but...if several people had gone straight for this guy and knocked him off his feet, or wrapped him up, it probably would have been over at that point.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2012, 11:37:55 AM »
We can debate this from here until Sunday, but what it ultimately comes down to is that it's impossible to predict how a scenario might play out in ANY situation. All you CAN control is how YOU react. Which is why training for sudden/surprise situations is more valuable than standing 30 feet from a target stand and hitting center shots all day. And why it's important to continually run through scenarios in your head over the course of your day. What would I do if?

None of us knows the exact layout of the theater, where we might have had to sit if we'd been there, the reaction of the other folks in the theater, or for many of us, what it feels like to have bullets flying past you. Arguing about it without that information is pointless.

What isn't pointless is to train. And if you have any doubt about how you might react with your weapon in high stress situations, then you need to leave it at home until you've trained sufficiently that you feel comfortable with your skill and reactions.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »
Responding with gun fire is not always (or is even rarely) the best option.  As someone with a CCP, I've always worried that I would not make the smartest choice in a given situation, because I would be to focused on using my pistol, rather than doing the smartest thing.  I'm not going to pass judgement on anyone in this terrible situation, but...if several people had gone straight for this guy and knocked him off his feet, or wrapped him up, it probably would have been over at that point.

quoted for truth.

I dislike the idea that even those who are unarmed are helpless. They may have less of a chance, but they are not defensless unless they let themselves be so.

Someone close enough could have used the smoke to his/her advantage, as it would limit his visability as well, and made a low tackle as he walked by.
But you HAVE got to keep a mindset of "fight to the death" for your life no matter what, or you end up either as a deer in headlights or cower and hide and hope you get passed by.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »
Best defense is aggresive offense
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2012, 01:11:38 PM »
Whoa, looks like Brian Ross and Snuffleupagus were a little off about the *deleted*bag.
http://www.examiner.com/article/colorado-shooting-suspect-reported-to-be-former-occupy-member
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama