Author Topic: Feinstein lies just a little [/sarc]  (Read 11396 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Feinstein lies just a little [/sarc]
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
Fistful, my point was that having a "New York reload" would make continuing an assault easier for the assailant and thus partially negate what would happen if there was a magazine ban.
Say 100 round magazines WERE banned.  Say the Aurora assailant only had ten round magazines.  
He empties that and you want to play Rambo?
He draw a second gun and BANG you're dead.
OF COURSE if he had a 100 rnd mag, it would be awhile before he'd empty it out.
Think tactically.  Slowing someone down a bit by denying him high cap mags doesn't necessarily mean the Rambo wannabe is going to be any better off.
Plus, in case you didn't know, magazines can be changed very quickly, high cap or low cap.
Which is why I am right, not wrong.   :angel:

How many people do you know that, during a shooting such as this, run toward the shooter?  Very few if any.
An assailant with multiple arms still has a great advantage because it is the natural tendency to flee from danger, not overcome it when doing such would seem suicidal.  I suspect a pump shotgun would be quit effective.  You can still shuck rounds into the magazine as the situation allows and before you've run empty.

If all you were trying to say was that mass murders can still happen without "high capacity" magazines or "assault weapons," then of course I agree. I just think we have to be careful in saying that kind of thing. If we appear to be saying that guns like the AR offer no advantages over pistols or shotguns, then we risk sounding disingenuous. Instead, we should make very clear that police use such guns because they are such an efficient means of hurting people, and that human beings have a right to the same efficient means of hurting people. For defense of themselves and their country, of course. I don't think our gains in gun rights have come from claiming that our guns are harmless. I think they've come from pointing out that we have a right to harm bad guys, in some situations.

I also don't think it's helpful to bring Rambo into the discussion. It is true that people sometimes do courageous things. Or maybe desperate things, driven by fear.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »

If all you were trying to say was that mass murders can still happen without "high capacity" magazines or "assault weapons," then of course I agree. I just think we have to be careful in saying that kind of thing. If we appear to be saying that guns like the AR offer no advantages over pistols or shotguns, then we risk sounding disingenuous. Instead, we should make very clear that police use such guns because they are such an efficient means of hurting people, and that human beings have a right to the same efficient means of hurting people. For defense of themselves and their country, of course. I don't think our gains in gun rights have come from claiming that our guns are harmless. I think they've come from pointing out that we have a right to harm bad guys, in some situations.

I also don't think it's helpful to bring Rambo into the discussion. It is true that people sometimes do courageous things. Or maybe desperate things, driven by fear.
Well, "advantages over what" Fistful?
A shotgun?
Maybe but who is going to try and "charge" at a psycho shooter who has a shotgun?  I dunno.  Remember the Aurora shooter had atleast 4 firearms.
If you want to ban ARs, then what about M-1 carbines?  Don't tell me that an M-1 carbine wouldn't be very nearly as effective as an AR.  Especially if the AR's magic 100 round magazine jammed.  Never once have I had an M-1 carbine magazine jam on me.
The reason I brought Rambo in this--maybe that wasn't fair to you -- but Diane Feinstein was whining on TV about the Aurora guy having these large capacity "clips" and that if he hadn't, maybe somebody could have charged him when he ran out of ammo.
I wanted to grab her by the throat (even cable TV doesn't permit this --unfortunatly >:D) and yell in her face: "Holmes had a shotgun and two handguns and you think that tactic would work?!?!?!??!  No, nimrod, the shooter would simply transition to another gun and kill the Rambo!!"
I also think that people like her have no idea how quickly a rifle like an AR --or an M-1 Carbine, or a Glock -- can be reloaded.  10 round mag, 20, 30, 50, whatever.  If Holmes had had 10 magazines of 10 rounds each, the AR probably would not have jammed on him and he would not have needed to transition to another weapon.

As to ARs having an advantage, OK.  But a Glock has an advantage -- it is easier to conceal. 
Depending on how you look at things and what is important to you, an advantage in one situation can be a disadvantage in another.

Don't tell that to Feinstein, Schumer and that ilk because to them, the only purpose ARs serve and 30 rnd. mags serve is to kill a lot of people really fast. ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 09:37:05 PM »
"Advantages over pistols and shotguns," like I said. I wasn't talking about the M1. Holmes didn't have one, and that is not the comparison to which I was responding.

Did you really mean to say that I want to ban ARs, or was that just rhetorical?

Look, you're choosing to fight over issues where you are already doomed by the facts. Of course the AR serves the purpose of killing lots of people really fast. That is what Stoner designed it for. Nor can you argue with the fact that reloads and transitions to other weapons slow down a shooter, providing an opportunity, no matter how small, for his targets to fight back.

If you want to win the gun debate, your response to Feinstein should be that scary black rifles are indeed very scary and efficient weapons; and that is why Americans should have them.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 12:04:07 AM »
"Advantages over pistols and shotguns," like I said. I wasn't talking about the M1. Holmes didn't have one, and that is not the comparison to which I was responding.
Didn't say Homes had one; my point which was MY point and no one else's was that had Holmes had one he could have done the same thing with that as with the gun he actually did have.  Are you disputing that?

Did you really mean to say that I want to ban ARs, or was that just rhetorical?

It was obvioously rhetorical and the fact you have to ask actually explains why we seem to be talking past each other in this thread.

Look, you're choosing to fight over issues where you are already doomed by the facts. Of course the AR serves the purpose of killing lots of people really fast. That is what Stoner designed it for. Nor can you argue with the fact that reloads and transitions to other weapons slow down a shooter, providing an opportunity, no matter how small, for his targets to fight back.
:facepalm: I was NOT arguing that reloading doesn't slow down the shooter, MY POINT WAS THEY DO NOT SLOW THEM DOWN >>>>>>>SIGNIFICANTLY<<<<<<<< AND PEOPLE LIKE FEINSTEIN WHO CLAIM SOMEONE COULD JUMP A SHOOTER DURING A RELOAD OR TRANSITION ARE NAIVE BECAUSE THEY MOST LIKELY WOULD GET SHOT FOR THEIR EFFORT.[/color]Am I clear now or do I have to have that etched in titanium -- or do you think panicky people are going to be prepared to watch for a shooter's gun going empty because the people at the Aurora theater were all in full panic and run like hell mode. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
If you want to win the gun debate, your response to Feinstein should be that scary black rifles are indeed very scary and efficient weapons; and that is why Americans should have them.

I'd love to tell that loonie leftie that?

Wait.  Geeesh, I do hope you "get" that opr we're gonna be "talking past" each other for maybe ten more postings............... ;/ ;/ [popcorn] >:D :rofl:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:14:39 AM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 12:38:48 AM »
Didn't say Homes had one; my point which was MY point and no one else's was that had Holmes had one he could have done the same thing with that as with the gun he actually did have.  Are you disputing that?

No; that's the point. I'm not disputing it, so there's no reason to argue with me about M1s. I never took exception to the point you made about M1s, because I never disagreed with it.

:facepalm: I was NOT arguing that reloading doesn't slow down the shooter,
MY POINT WAS THEY DO NOT SLOW THEM DOWN >>>>>>>SIGNIFICANTLY<<<<<<<< AND PEOPLE LIKE FEINSTEIN WHO CLAIM SOMEONE COULD JUMP A SHOOTER DURING A RELOAD OR TRANSITION ARE NAIVE BECAUSE THEY MOST LIKELY WOULD GET SHOT FOR THEIR EFFORT.[/color]Am I clear now or do I have to have that etched in titanium -- or do you think panicky people are going to be prepared to watch for a shooter's gun going empty because the people at the Aurora theater were all in full panic and run like hell mode. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

You'd be clearer without the multi-colored, multi-font-size, combined with all-caps and excessive punctuation. That stuff's confusing.

Regardless of the color of words used to deny it, someone could still "jump a shooter during a reload or transition," without getting shot. It could happen. Even if they were shot, their counter-attack still might work, or provide a few milliseconds for someone else to try. Secondly, you don't know the mindset of every person in that theater, or at the scene of every other massacre. As I said, acts of derring-do (or at least sheer desperation) do occur from time to time.

So I guess getting things etched in titanium might help.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2012, 12:54:48 AM »
....someone could still "jump a shooter during a reload or transition," without getting shot.
Could happen ... I will anxiously await it happening at the very next psycho shooting..... :rofl:
I can pretty much promise you it won't happen unless there's a armed U.S. Navy SEAL team member in the audience or Green Beret, or similar very highly trained warrior.
And if color bothers you, GOOD.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2012, 01:31:39 AM »
Yeah, cause saying that it could happen is just like saying that it will happen on the next go-round.  ;/

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2012, 05:25:36 AM »
Could happen ... I will anxiously await it happening at the very next psycho shooting..... :rofl:
I can pretty much promise you it won't happen unless there's a armed U.S. Navy SEAL team member in the audience or Green Beret, or similar very highly trained warrior.

IIRC, didn't bystanders take down Jared Loughner during a reload?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 11:01:24 AM »
>I can pretty much promise you it won't happen unless there's a armed U.S. Navy SEAL team member in the audience or Green Beret, or similar very highly trained warrior.<

Ummm... no.

Not gonna Google it, but one of the school shootings was stopped by another student who recognized that the bad guy had run dry, and tackled him.

Granted, some of that is situational: shooter running dry while close enough to other students that other students can act. But the kid was no SEAL etc...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »
In a closed dark theaters guys.....IN A CLOSE DARK THEATER, ok? Panicked people running around.....chaos....GET IT? :facepalm: :facepalm:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 04:37:13 PM »
In a closed dark theaters guys.....IN A CLOSE DARK THEATER, ok? Panicked people running around.....chaos....GET IT? :facepalm: :facepalm:

Low light & chaos works both ways.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
Low light & chaos works both ways.
My thoughts exactly. The main problem is keeping your cool when all around you are freaking out.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 06:02:53 PM »
My thoughts exactly. The main problem is keeping your cool when all around you are freaking out.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs...
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
Oh teh noes! We're all as dumb as Diane Feinstein! How do we remember to breathe?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »
Oh teh noes! We're all as dumb as Diane Feinstein! How do we remember to breathe?

How come every time I see this phrase "the" is spelled "teh?"  Or is "teh" a word I've never heard before?

Anyway, fistful, being as dumb as Di Fi isn't really fatal unless you're also as ugly as she is. [popcorn] :angel: ;) :rofl:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 11:55:08 PM »
How come every time I see this phrase "the" is spelled "teh?"  Or is "teh" a word I've never heard before?

Anyway, fistful, being as dumb as Di Fi isn't really fatal unless you're also as ugly as she is. [popcorn] :angel: ;) :rofl:

"teh" is a common typo for "the", and I guess it's considered cute, and perhaps part of the LOLcat manner of speaking.

And as to Diane Feinstein...

I kind of wish she'd stuck with her earlier career with the rocking chair factory in Mr. Rogers Land of Make Believe.

Could be worse though. Waxman, I hear he's gotten the death sentence in twelve systems...

I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 12:17:40 AM »
How come every time I see this phrase "the" is spelled "teh?"  Or is "teh" a word I've never heard before?

It's the internet version of talking in a dumb guy voice.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2012, 12:44:18 AM »
>I can pretty much promise you it won't happen unless there's a armed U.S. Navy SEAL team member in the audience or Green Beret, or similar very highly trained warrior.<

Ummm... no.

Not gonna Google it, but one of the school shootings was stopped by another student who recognized that the bad guy had run dry, and tackled him.

Granted, some of that is situational: shooter running dry while close enough to other students that other students can act. But the kid was no SEAL etc...

I believe  that was the Springfield Oregon school shooting
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2012, 05:57:20 AM »
>Anyway, fistful, being as dumb as Di Fi isn't really fatal unless you're also as ugly as she is<

Have you actually SEEN fistful lately?

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »
>Anyway, fistful, being as dumb as Di Fi isn't really fatal unless you're also as ugly as she is<

Have you actually SEEN fistful lately?

Yeah, he looks like Clint Eastwood!   [tinfoil]

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »
Only in his twisted dreams (or Clint's darkest nightmares)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 01:03:35 PM »
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs...

then you just don't understand the situation  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 05:45:46 PM »

It's the internet version of talking in a dumb guy voice.
Totally...
Avoid cliches like the plague!