Author Topic: USMC Orders a Bunch of 1911s  (Read 12701 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: USMC Orders a Bunch of 1911s
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 07:24:51 PM »

As much as I like love 1911s, dear Lord just buy some Glocks!

If we do that, THE TERRORISTS WIN!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 07:52:33 PM »
That was my thought, given the requirements.

Drop in parts?  That just screams "get a Glock".

Based on the requirements, a Ruger P345 or S&W 4506 should be considered....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2012, 08:26:33 AM »
Based on the requirements, a Ruger P345 or S&W 4506 should be considered....

Blasphemy!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2012, 09:56:52 AM »
Blasphemy!

This.

Why 1911?

Most people shoot the 1911 better than other pistols, accuracy & time-wise.

1911 fits more folks' hands.

Just as reliable as a Glock, when manufactured to modern standards.

Installed knowledge base of armorers.

Now, I have nothing against Glocks, they just don't fit me as well as 1911s.  I think they are a quality weapon.

This.

Glock already has a single stack, subcompact 6rnd .45, which could be easily enlarged/elongated to meet the specifications.

Which would be a redesign and certainly cost more than just producing a line of 1911's.

Blasphemy!

Why do you hate America and my beloved Corps?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
A coyote brown Glock? Has Glock ever made them in a color other than black, black, or black?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 11:07:58 AM »
So Glock makes a single stack model to meet the Marine Corps' requirements.

What is the advantage of a single stack Glock over a 1911 again? Since they were originally brought up in this thread because they offer extra capacity.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 11:14:03 AM »
A coyote brown Glock? Has Glock ever made them in a color other than black, black, or black?

I guess so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABvb983OkhY
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
What is the advantage of a single stack Glock over a 1911 again? Since they were originally brought up in this thread because they offer extra capacity.

• meets the requirements of the contract
  • mitigates people's bitching about the grip, somewhat
  • relatively flat compact (G36) for those that want that
  • one third the price per unit
  • send your boys to a one day Glock armorer's class instead of a 3 year gunsmith school
It's kind of pointless to speculate.  If they want "drop in parts", 1911 isn't the way to go.  But, it seems they want 1911s.  Something will need to give way.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:29:25 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 11:19:26 AM »

Yes.  "flat dark earth"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »
True...what makes the 1911 superior to the Glock/XD/M&P design for this specific task?

BURN THE HERETIC!!!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »
Or split the difference and do a "stack and a half" like the M&P 45 does (or use an M&P 45).
I was thinking the M&P 45 and the Springfield XDm both have slimmer grips than the Glock. 

I think it would be interesting to see a good reliability test with Glock, a good 1911, XD, and M&P, both to see how good the newer 1911's really are and how the M&P's and XD's match up to the Glock. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »
  • one third the price per unit
  • send your boys to a one day Glock armorer's class instead of a 3 year gunsmith school
It's kind of pointless to speculate.  If they want "drop in parts", 1911 isn't the way to go.  But, it seems they want 1911s.  Something will need to give way.

Wait. Wait. Wait.  So redesiging a compact glock into a fullsize single stack would somehow be cheaper than the 1911?  
Glock would have to retool production to produce that weaon, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T EXIST.  Where do you think the cost for tooling up for a new line of glocks will be passed along?

Also, I don't think you comprehend the 3 year part.  That is not a school.   They are taking armorers from the fleet and putting them in a 3 year rotation at the Precision Weapons Shop in Quantico.  They emerge from that rotation master gunsmiths.  They also build all the USMC sniper rifles and shooting teams weapons there.

No offense, but the Marines are not the Army, AF or Navy.  Marine leaders do not take fielding weapons lightly.  I highly doubt that other weapons were not considered, and I suspect that great pains were taken to make sure the right weapon was selected.

The G21 is a great weapon and one of my favorites, even though I'm a 1911 shooter. Nothing against glocks. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:39:31 PM by Jamisjockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »
  • one third the price per unit[/b]

Bolded part is most likely incorrect, it would need to be an all new pistol and I guarantee they'd jack the price up since they're selling to fed.gov.

As for the "drop in" part bit... You realize they were in the .mil across all branches for many decades, and never had a problem with cobbling them together from available parts right? The "1911's need hand fitting" meme is based on the eleventy thousand companies that make them, the civilian desire for tighter tolerances etc.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »
As too the "why 8 when you can have 13?"

The polymer frame double stack .45's (and SOCOM has one already) are just dandy, but they weight a friggen ton. So, my question to you, is why the fart would you carry extra weight around for your secondary weapon unless you specifically were planning on using it?

And glocks have come from factory in black, desert tan, dark earth and od green. You can also get a full rainbow from a bunch of diffrent specialty shops.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2012, 04:08:19 PM »
Sounds like the Ruger P345 is more of a fit as the discussion proceeds....it even has its safety in the same place as the Beretta M9....the gun that soldiers have trained with for over 20 years....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:22:50 PM by seeker_two »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »
IIRC, the XD 45 is on the list of candidates for the M9 replacement for the Army.

Also +100000 on what Jamis said. The marines are much better about making weapon decisions than the army is. They don't adopt new stuff over proven stuff unless they have a DAMN good reason.

Hell, how long did they use the Cobra?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 07:48:10 PM »
As too the "why 8 when you can have 13?"

The polymer frame double stack .45's (and SOCOM has one already) are just dandy, but they weight a friggen ton. So, my question to you, is why the fart would you carry extra weight around for your secondary weapon unless you specifically were planning on using it?

And glocks have come from factory in black, desert tan, dark earth and od green. You can also get a full rainbow from a bunch of diffrent specialty shops.

What BSL wrote.  Weigh darn near as much as a shorty MP5.  There was much wailing & gnashing of teeth when the MP5s were taken away.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »
IIRC, the XD 45 is on the list of candidates for the M9 replacement for the Army.

Also +100000 on what Jamis said. The marines are much better about making weapon decisions than the army is. They don't adopt new stuff over proven stuff unless they have a DAMN good reason.

Hell, how long did they use the Cobra?

*expletive deleted*it they still do brother.  AH1W super cobra is a death machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_AH-1_SuperCobra

Only thing that I was disappointed in was the OV22 being forced into service. Yes, the Marines needed it, but a lot of good Marines died testing it before it was operationally ready.
JD

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 09:34:38 PM »
Only thing that I was disappointed in was the OV22 being forced into service. Yes, the Marines needed it, but a lot of good Marines died testing it before it was operationally ready.

That happens with all new technology.  How many people were killed developing the airplane for military service?  Not to mention once someone thought that putting them on ships was a swell idea.  The helicopter, heck even just in new types.  I remember in 1986 being terrified to get in a UH-60 because it was known as the "Crashhawk" due to all the accidents in its development and fielding.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:10:03 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »
True...what makes the 1911 superior to the Glock/XD/M&P design for this specific task?

It is a 1911!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »
Will this meme ever die?

The Mk23 weighs 1100 grams. The 1911 weighs 1080 grams. Damn near identical. The Mk23 only becomes a heavy bastard when you strap on the massive suppressor and ancient laser module.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »
The Mk23 weighs 1100 grams. The 1911 weighs 1080 grams. Damn near identical. The Mk23 only becomes a heavy bastard when you strap on the massive suppressor and ancient laser module.

The MK23 is undeniably a better pistol than the colt, but it also costs twice as much.

Barack Obama

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2012, 12:47:40 PM »
The MK23 is undeniably a better pistol than the colt, but it also costs twice as much.

And takes up a massive amount of real estate, and takes big hands to fire... certain missions require a concealed pistol on your person, and I don't think the 23 can do that too well.

Fact is, the Marines wanted a 1911. This is why only 1911 manufacturers competed in the trials. This was what they were looking for, and they got it.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »
And takes up a massive amount of real estate, and takes big hands to fire... certain missions require a concealed pistol on your person, and I don't think the 23 can do that too well.

That's because it requires manly teutonic hands.

I've shot one once and really liked it, but yeah, its not really practical for anything unless you are a 1331 operator.

Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2012, 02:25:13 PM »
I recognize and accept most of the arguments in favor of a "modern" off-the-shelf sidearm design. So if the decision were purely nostalgic I'd take issue with it. However, I have more confidence in my ability to score rapid accurate hits, especially at extreme pistol ranges, with a 1911 than with any other platform. I'm inclined to think similar reasoning may apply for the Marines who expect to actually use the weapons in combat.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch