Author Topic: USMC Orders a Bunch of 1911s  (Read 12703 times)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: USMC Orders a Bunch of 1911s
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »
The Mk23 weighs 1100 grams. The 1911 weighs 1080 grams. Damn near identical.

Loaded or empty?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »
I don't know, the selection of a $1800+, century old design like this seems a lot like a luxury, status item intertwined with tradition. No doubt a capable, very choice item that anyone would drool over, but still was their motivation entirely "the best tool for the job", or was there a little bit of "the best killing accessory that will make a fashion statement" involved?

I mean they willfully disregarded a heap of pistol design advances...

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2012, 04:06:30 PM »
Forget the SOCOM and other such guns. The XDM grips are barely any bigger than a 1911. I agree that the HK guns are huge and brick-like--I have large hands and even I can't reach the mag release on the HK USP45. But the XDM and M&P 45s have very reasonable grip sizes.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »
There's also the backstock of 1911 magazines to support this choice, and the various mag pouches and LBE already configured for single stack .45 mags, and all the marines that already know the manual of arms of a 1911 and won't have to be retrained on something new and different.

I don't have a problem with front-line regular old marines/sailors/soldiers having a $750 pistol.

I don't have a problem with special forces having a $1500 pistol, or using AMU as a resource to build custom quality handguns (even more expensive).

Frankly, this pistol sounds like it's built for a demanding environment and to perform well in it.  It costs more than a Glock or Beretta because it's a quality precision handgun that won't rust and will match existing camouflage patterns, will kill better than 9mm, and will not require extensive retraining of all the armorers that will see this firearm.

I think Colt could sell these for $1200 and still make a good profit off it, and they're padding the bottom line due to the man-hours involved in training and logistics for the Corps... but so be it.  The product is worth it to the Marines, so they'll take it rather than screwing with something new.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
I mean they willfully disregarded a heap of pistol design advances...

Some folk don't see them as advances...

...especially scrunchy DA triggers.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »
Forget the SOCOM and other such guns. The XDM grips are barely any bigger than a 1911. I agree that the HK guns are huge and brick-like--I have large hands and even I can't reach the mag release on the HK USP45. But the XDM and M&P 45s have very reasonable grip sizes.

None of them are Colts. Follow the money.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
There's also the backstock of 1911 magazines to support this choice, and the various mag pouches and LBE already configured for single stack .45 mags, and all the marines that already know the manual of arms of a 1911 and won't have to be retrained on something new and different.

I don't have a problem with front-line regular old marines/sailors/soldiers having a $750 pistol.

I don't have a problem with special forces having a $1500 pistol, or using AMU as a resource to build custom quality handguns (even more expensive).

Frankly, this pistol sounds like it's built for a demanding environment and to perform well in it.  It costs more than a Glock or Beretta because it's a quality precision handgun that won't rust and will match existing camouflage patterns, will kill better than 9mm, and will not require extensive retraining of all the armorers that will see this firearm.

I think Colt could sell these for $1200 and still make a good profit off it, and they're padding the bottom line due to the man-hours involved in training and logistics for the Corps... but so be it.  The product is worth it to the Marines, so they'll take it rather than screwing with something new.

What he said.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2012, 06:25:51 PM »
If Colt offered a commercial version of same, I'd probably grab one.

(And then rip the Series 80 monkey motion bits out of it...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2012, 09:09:26 PM »
Do Marine armorers still work on 1911's?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2012, 09:13:11 PM »

Yep.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2012, 09:21:50 PM »

Well, they still have them...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
All Glock bashing aside.

Just how long term durable are the polymers used in all the fancy Tupperware pop guns?
As late as 1992 we still carried 50 year old 1911s in the small arms locker on the boat I was on. The steel in those was still pretty much physically and chemically unchanged from the day it was machined. Are there any 50+ year old plastic frame arms in service? How will the plastics hold up for the long term, 50-100 years?
Another thought, I have a couple of 100+ year old rifles in my safe and the wooden stocks are still perfectly serviceable today.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2012, 12:09:01 AM »
Gen1 Glocks & HK VP-70's are still being used with no ill effects. Even the old Nylon 77's are still to be had.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2012, 01:33:47 AM »
If Colt offered a commercial version of same, I'd probably grab one.

(And then rip the Series 80 monkey motion bits out of it...)

You can get one without the series 80 crap. It will be a Springfield Armory MC Operator.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.