Author Topic: The Official Olympics Thread  (Read 27912 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: The Official Olympics Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2012, 06:36:40 PM »
What are you trying to say?

Oh, and the US womens won in 2 sets. =D

The beach vollyball players have a designated uniform. Luckly for the Women athletes, the rules allow for long sleaves and pants in 60° and below.
 :angel:

Uniform... Or is a costume?   :P
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
You know.....I remember a time, long ago, when I could think that the women gymnasts were pretty hot.....and not feel Pedobear's hands around my throat....  =|

Yeah, but then they changed the rules of competition a few decades back in favor of girls, rather than women: closer bars, scoring favoring agility and de-emphasizing strength, etc.

They did a similar thing WRT men's gymnastics, but the change effects were not as dramatic.

The Austin American-Statesman carries a column by a commentator named Ken Herman. I frequently disagree with him, but in THIS column, he really doesn't state anything I disagree with.

Basically, he lays out his criteria for what Olympic events are sports, and which ones are not sports.

(Hint: he's not a fan of judges picking winners.)

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/sport-or-not-a-sport-2427039.html

Spot on.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »
Was not the definition of sports - back in the day - having an objectively-measured criteria (amount of goals, speed of run, weight lifted in a specific fashion) of a victory?

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2012, 07:25:18 PM »
Was not the definition of sports - back in the day - having an objectively-measured criteria (amount of goals, speed of run, weight lifted in a specific fashion) of a victory?

Considering that hunting for pleasure has always been refered to as Sport... I don't think so. (we have a whole catagory of dog breeds that are SPORTING breeds. I can assure you that's got nothing to do with balls, judges, scores or reaching a wall or line first)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
I disagree strongly. Just because you and this guy do not understand the criteria by which such sports are judged doesn't mean they arn't sports . . . 
There there, little one, you're a girl so it's your prerogative to disagree. We do understand, but I'm afraid you're assuming that understanding brings agreement.

It doesn't.

You just keep thinking it's a competitive sport when judges award the medal to whoever they happen to like more.

In the meantime, please view this educational video and take it to heart:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Pwl8jTLK8

;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2012, 07:55:34 PM »
There there, little one, you're a girl so it's your prerogative to disagree. We do understand, but I'm afraid you're assuming that understanding brings agreement.

It doesn't.

You just keep thinking it's a competitive sport when judges award the medal to whoever they happen to like more.

In the meantime, please view this educational video and take it to heart:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Pwl8jTLK8

;)

*sigh* it's not. They deduct points based on a set of criteria that has been predetermined.
For example, a gymnyst does a routine that is composed of elements, all of which have a point total. The maximum score is the total combine possible points of all the elements correctly preformed in a routine. For every fault (a fault being things that are in that predetermined criteria as being nessasry to complete that movement, like a balance check or failing to stick a landing or not keeping they're toes pointed or legs together) points, based on each type of fault, are deducted from the total possible score, giving you the actual score. The judges can only deduct so many points for each fault.
The only non objective part is really in how much the judge actually sees in real time.

There is a reason the commentaters can predict with reasonable accurasy the score before the official results are announced. It's because the criteria is absolute and it is obvious, especially when you can rewind the video and use slow motion and pause.
The days of a "perfect 10" and judges being allowed to use personal judgement are gone. It's one of the major reasons why the artistic portions of routins have largely been abandoned in favor of big elements, and are barely given a nod.

This kind of ignorant crap is what makes people think comfirmation dog shows are just "dog beauty pagents"

;/

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
Hmmm... Must have been a warm day in London today. Above the 60° mark, at least...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2012, 11:34:43 PM »
Considering that hunting for pleasure has always been refered to as Sport... I don't think so. (we have a whole catagory of dog breeds that are SPORTING breeds. I can assure you that's got nothing to do with balls, judges, scores or reaching a wall or line first)

I don't really have a dog in this fight (is dog-fighting a sport?), but hunting could easily meet the criteria that your opponents are arguing for. It could be (and often is) scored by the size or weight of the quarry, size/configuration of the horns/antlers, number of prizes taken, etc.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2012, 11:51:50 PM »
Yeah, but then they changed the rules of competition a few decades back in favor of girls, rather than women: closer bars, scoring favoring agility and de-emphasizing strength, etc.

They did a similar thing WRT men's gymnastics, but the change effects were not as dramatic.

Spot on.

One could argue that they did the same thing with the pole vault. I'm old enough to remember when the pole was made of aluminum, and 16 feet was the magic barrier. One of the last champions with the aluminum pole was Don Bragg, who won the 1960 Rome olympics with a vault of 15'-5" and set a then-world record of 15'-9-1/4" at the olympic trials (outdoors ... he also set an indoor record of 15'-9-1/2").

Then along came fiberglass poles and the whole game changed. U.S. Marine John Uelses was the first vaulter to ever go over 16 feet, and he did it with a fiberglass pole in 1962. At the time, there was serious discussion of establishing a separate record category for the two types of pole, because with the aluminum pole the vaulter did most of the work, whereas with the fiberglass pole the vaulter just ran as fast as he could down the runway, put as much bend as possible into the pole, and then let the pole launch him. Like this: http://www.myspace.com/video/velocity-pole-vault-club-and-training-school/slow-motion-20-feet-bubka/56860508#!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:59:03 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2012, 07:17:38 AM »
I don't really have a dog in this fight (is dog-fighting a sport?), but hunting could easily meet the criteria that your opponents are arguing for. It could be (and often is) scored by the size or weight of the quarry, size/configuration of the horns/antlers, number of prizes taken, etc.

The judgement of the quarry would be similar to the judgement style of gymnastics.
"Configuration" is the key word. There is going to be variation in induvidual judges and how they perseve the criteria.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2012, 11:14:33 PM »
You know.....I remember a time, long ago, when I could think that the women gymnasts were pretty hot.....and not feel Pedobear's hands around my throat....  =|

Here, you can drool over her. ;)

Catilina Ponor, 24, Romania.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2012, 11:17:28 PM »
Here, you can drool over her. ;)

Catilina Ponor, 24, Romania.

I already am.....and Vanessa Ferrari from Italy, too....  =D

BTW, AIBA Olympic boxing judges are almost as corrupt & incompetent as Democratic politicians in Chicago.....just sayin'.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »
The judgement of the quarry would be similar to the judgement style of gymnastics.
"Configuration" is the key word. There is going to be variation in induvidual judges and how they perseve the criteria.

Here's what I meant by configuration:

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgrecords/bc_scoring_typwhitetail.asp?area=bgrecords&type=Typical+Whitetail+Deer

Don't look very subjective to me.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2012, 11:27:56 PM »
Here's what I meant by configuration:

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgrecords/bc_scoring_typwhitetail.asp?area=bgrecords&type=Typical+Whitetail+Deer

Don't look very subjective to me.

You can't freeze the gymnasts midair and measure. Unless they watch the video, which they do if the results are challenged.
Anyway, I think it's a sport. I think those girls and guys are athletes. And I think if we are going to fight over sports in the olympics, WTF is up with Table Tennis? If they have that, why not add Beer Pong, too.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2012, 11:29:04 PM »
Oh, and seeker? Google image search her name. Thank me later...

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2012, 12:47:22 AM »
You can't freeze the gymnasts midair and measure. Unless they watch the video, which they do if the results are challenged.
Anyway, I think it's a sport. I think those girls and guys are athletes.

I'm not arguing with that. I was just saying that there are objective ways one can use to measure hunting trophies.

Also, I knew a few Romanian girls when I was growing up. Some of them were real lookers.  =)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2012, 08:03:47 AM »

Whoa.  Bendy.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2012, 08:52:32 AM »

Thanking you now....what a way to start my morning.... =D

I must go to Romania someday......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #93 on: August 08, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »
Getting back to sports, did anyone see the Argentinean player sucker punch Carmelo?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #94 on: August 08, 2012, 10:53:50 AM »
Watching more jumping. The course for team jumping seemed much more intimidating then the induvidual one. Still a big layout.

Jeez, these guys are good.  :O

agricola

• friend
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »
BTW, AIBA Olympic boxing judges are almost as corrupt & incompetent as Democratic politicians in Chicago.....just sayin'.....

The standard of judging in the boxing is my biggest gripe about these games, its been appalling and each day of competition has usually had three or four terrible decisions.  The one that Spence got against that Indian bloke was awful, albeit not as bad as the one Shimizu got early on against Abdulhamidov.  Fortunately both decisions were overturned.

Oh, and many of the referees have been rubbish as well, with holding rarely being punished (indeed some of the scores would suggest boxers were getting points for holding on).  In many ways its been a terrible shame because there have been some great bouts (of which the best was amazingly enough the Natasha Jonas vs Katie Taylor quarterfinal in the women's) and great performances, the crowd has been great (even if this girl has beaten the entire crowd every time a Venezuelan boxer has made an appearance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp6SKZWBBlA ) and nearly every day in the arena has been a complete sellout*.

edit: * as in all the tickets on sale to the public have been sold, but many media types / "Olympic family" clowns have decided not to use their free tickets
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:44:33 PM by agricola »
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

agricola

• friend
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
Good to see the women of the english-speaking world make a clean sweep of the womens boxing gold medals. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2012, 01:14:04 PM »
Good to see the women of the english-speaking world make a clean sweep of the womens boxing gold medals. 

Womens vollyball last night was pretty sweet. Amercians get gold and silver, and Misty May and Carrie Walsh went out strong. That first set was insane.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »
Womens vollyball last night was pretty sweet. Amercians get gold and silver, and Misty May and Carrie Walsh went out strong. That first set was insane.

Yep, they were awesome.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

HankB

• friend
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »
Quote from: ”bluestarlizzard”
Equestrian: Would be a sport (and only for the horse, not the rider) if they jettisoned dressage, which is French for "horse dancing."   

:facepalm:
Dressage is designed to measure how well a horse can preform natural movements on command, and orginates as movements used by warhorses both for parade and for actual fighting.
And yet at the NBC Olympics website they put together a homage to this grand sport derived from cavalry warfare called . . . The Horse Ballet.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/equestrian/highlights-the-horse-ballet.html

Yep, I see it now, not horse dancing, but horse ballet, which is very different.

The fine nuances may be wasted on ignorant rubes in flyover country, but at least they love this sport in trendy places like San Francisco. (Or maybe not . . . http://www.sfgate.com/sports/ostler/article/Not-in-step-with-horse-dancing-3769917.php  )

:rofl:

(Since dressage measures horse movements on command, maybe in future Olympics we'll see dog training, lion taming, maybe even a flea circus.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain