Poll

Are you left-handed or right-handed or Ambidextrous?

Left
12 (20.7%)
Right
34 (58.6%)
Ambidextrous
5 (8.6%)
Bidextrous
7 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Poll: Left-Handed or Right-Handed or Ambidextrous?  (Read 11206 times)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Poll: Left-Handed or Right-Handed or Ambidextrous?
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 06:44:07 PM »
I suck at most things left handed, but am surprisingly accurate with a pistol left handed.

Ditto.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 08:30:16 PM »
You need yet another option, Un-dexterous.  I can't hit a bull in the ass with a handful of popcorn with either hand.  Because of untreated amblyopia, I don't see much out of my right eye.  Wear right hand holsters, draw the handgun over in front of my left eye.  Shoot long guns off the left shoulder.  Kinda helpful for pump shotguns.  Dexterous hand (both meanings) to work the trombone, and able to pitch shells in the ejection port right in front of my face.  This is handy for yee-haw shooting (CAS) with a Winchester 97 pump-o-matic.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Mostly left handed but pretty good at some things with my right hand, including shooting a bow (I got a really good deal on a right handed longbow :) ) and shooting a pistol.  And I f*ing hate right handed scissors! 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 10:12:20 PM »
44 responses. That's a pretty good sample (unfortunately self-selected). I'd say it's fair to judge we have a greater than average population of left-handed people. (Especially since I'd include the "bi-dextrous" votes as lefties.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 10:16:02 PM »
Like most of the other lefties here, I'm a lefty for some things, a righty for others, and ambidextrous for a few things. I bat and throw right handed (can't really do either left handed), and I eat with my right hand. I can use scissors ambidextrously (so long as the scissors work left handedly, anyway), and I shoot pistols ambidextrously. I shoot long guns almost exclusively left handed unless I'm shooting off a rest of some sort; then I can shoot them ambidextrously as well.

I could probably shoot long guns without a rest right handed, if you forced me to, but it just doesn't feel right.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 10:22:55 PM »
Right handed, left eye dominant.
I remember being "corrected" at an early age for trying to do things left handed
Used to be able to do a bit more with my left hand but after getting the left hand jacked up a few times it doesn't work quite as well as it used to, I don't have as much strength n the left hand as I used to and I've got 2 fingers that sometimes will "lock" in the curled position. Most of the time I can just open them passed the catch but sometimes I have to use the other hand and force them open.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »
I think a lot of us lefties who are pretty good with the right hand just got that way through adapting to the right handed world and practice.  The one thing I am truly better at right handed is batting but I didn't figure that out until it was way too late for me to get drafted and then go play for the Reds. =(

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 09:45:43 AM »
The few things that I do left handed are more fine motor skills, like threading a nut on a bolt.  To turn the wrench I use my right hand.

It could be that I just try to do more than one thing at once, or not lay down a tool.

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 09:57:28 AM »
Nuts and bolts are installed 2 at a time, one in each hand.

I have tried to do some right hand training, such as writing. My left hand writing is atrocious anyway, just block print, forgot cursive long ago. Never held a pencil correctly, finger always hurt, 3rd grade teacher was Methusalah's mom and despised lefties, etc, etc.

Welding is kinda funny, I forced myself to be ambidextrous. Most everyone defines their hand by the torch hand. I had to switch because I could not finely control the rod with my right hand. Now I probably do 75% left hand but have no issue with the right.

Working your weaker hand is great if you play gun games, if weak hand shooting is indicated you can look forward to it while everyone else groans. Of course that's not much different than stepping up your game when it is raining, 20 deg, muddy, 30pmh crosswind, or 99 deg. Embrace the suck.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 10:18:13 AM »
I know something you don't know.

I am not left-handed.

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »
I'd say it's fair to judge we have a greater than average population of left-handed people. (Especially since I'd include the "bi-dextrous" votes as lefties.)

There goes the neighborhood.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 10:44:33 AM »
44 responses. That's a pretty good sample (unfortunately self-selected). I'd say it's fair to judge we have a greater than average population of left-handed people. (Especially since I'd include the "bi-dextrous" votes as lefties.)

Yeah, I'm guessing if we forced left or right only bins (which is likely what "scientific" polls do to get the 15% figure), we'd be getting over 30% lefties here. Some interesting (though unverified) left-handed facts to further downgrade fistful's neighborhood. :P  :laugh:

http://dailyinfographic.com/left-handed-facts-and-statistics-infographic
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 11:15:20 AM »
I'm right handed for most things, but like Jamis and LadySmith I'm nearly as accurate with my left hand as my right. Can't shoot pool or throw darts with my left hand unfortunately. But there are a number of things I do with my left hand to keep my right (gun) hand free - just not things that require fine motor skills. If I had to engage in battle and needed to unlock a door in the middle of it, I'd shoot with my left hand and unlock the door with the right and feel safer than trying to do it the opposite way.

The reason I told Ben I thought we'd have a higher rate of lefties is that it's been my experience that geeks, folks who frequently engage in outside the box thinking, and who are staunchly independent, have a higher rate of being left-handed than right. Or at least, among folks I have known in my life. And I've known a lot of lefties. This begs the question though, which came first, the genetics or conditioning? Did the "missing gene" someone mentioned earlier force folks to think outside the box, choose geek careers, be independent? Or did growing up as a lefty in a righthand world push them into those mindsets?

I've always found it easier to date a lefty too. We don't interfere with each other's gun hand as frequently, can cover all angles better, and don't bump into each other when sitting side by side to eat. :D

Next I think we should discuss watches. Those of you who were watches, I'd bet more of you were round ones than square or rectangular. :D
 [popcorn]
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »
Mrs. Smith, seriously, where are your man-friends taking you on dates? The wrong side of Detroit?  [ar15]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
Nuts and bolts are installed 2 at a time, one in each hand.

Put bolt in with right hand, put nut on with left  =|

Next I think we should discuss watches. Those of you who were watches, I'd bet more of you were round ones than square or rectangular.

I don't wear a watch.  I just look at the sun to tell what time it is, like Crocodile Dundee.  :cool:

Or else I just ask Ladypine  =D

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »
Definitely right handed here, but left eye dominant and i see better out of that eye as well. If i stay in practice (i dont) i shoot just as well left handed, pistols more easily. I can eat left handed witbout any discomfort.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2012, 04:27:14 PM »
Bidextrous? Never heard that before...but that is me. Write with left hand, shoot a pistol with right hand and long guns from the left side. My right eye used to be dominant, but there is little difference now.  Just realized that I'm a smart phone left index finger scroller :).

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Left-Handed or Right-Handed or Ambidextrous?
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »
Hmm. Sinister implications.

I see what you did there.

Good one, Dexter.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2012, 05:11:05 PM »
I'm right handed but shoot quite well left handed. There isn't much I can't do with my left hand other than write and masterbate. :D
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
Bidextrous sounds a bit....dirty.  Hee hee hee. [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2012, 12:14:43 AM »
Bidextrous sounds a bit....dirty.  Hee hee hee. [popcorn]

That just means I use my right hand instead of my left to...uh, nevermind.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »
Left-handed. About the only thing I do right handed is shovel, swing axes, picks and sledge hammers and shoot a bow.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2012, 11:00:04 AM »
Definitely right handed here, but left eye dominant and i see better out of that eye as well. If i stay in practice (i dont) i shoot just as well left handed, pistols more easily. I can eat left handed witbout any discomfort.

I'm left eye dominant as well - and apparently being cross eye dominant (opposite your dominant hand) is more of a female trait than male. Can't recall where I heard that originally, but had an instructor mention it a while back too. Had everyone in class determine which eye was dominant then took a poll - only one man and a dozen women.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2012, 11:12:07 AM »
I used to be bidextrous but due to nerve damage in my left leg and severely dislocating my left shoulder I do everything right handed now.  I've always been right eye dominant because the vision in my left eye is very bad.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
write with my left hand, everything else is 50/50.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2