Author Topic: Smartphones are putting people in ERs.  (Read 1262 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Smartphones are putting people in ERs.
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:10:26 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-07-30/distracted-walking/56588668/1

Well no *expletive deleted* *expletive deleted* Sherlock.  Will the good Mayor of the city-state NYC outlaw distracted walking next?  
Reports of injuries to distracted walkers treated at hospital emergency rooms have more than quadrupled in the past seven years and are almost certainly underreported. There has been a spike in pedestrians killed and injured in traffic accidents, but there is no reliable data on how many were distracted by electronics.

As an April Fool's Day joke with a serious message, Philadelphia officials taped off an "e-lane" for distracted pedestrians on a sidewalk outside downtown office buildings.

Some didn't get that it was a joke.

"The sad part is we had people who, once they realized we were going to take the e-lane away, got mad because they thought it was really helpful to not have people get in their way while they were walking and texting," Cutler said.

It's all about me!!!11!!!!

ETA: AP Video
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Re: Smartphones are putting people in ERs.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »
So...are smartphones making people stupid?  ???  :P
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:35:51 PM »

So, stupid people self-select themselves for extinction?

I fail to see the downside.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »
So, stupid people self-select themselves for extinction?

I fail to see the downside.

Liberals lose voters....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:46:57 PM »
Smartphone fail . . . person involved was considering a lawsuit for becoming a national laughingstock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPW8xmI4w6U
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »
Disappointment. Thought the thread was going to be exploding lithium batteries sparking human combustion.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 03:54:23 PM »
So...are smartphones making people stupid?  ???  :P
It's bringing out their inner dipshit
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »
ya know how when you were a kid on Monday morning you heard about the flashlight tag game 4 friends had on Saturday night?

Today they post to facebook about their pseudo "plans" and expect their parents to drive them to every flipping "event"
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"