Author Topic: Photo ID Amendment  (Read 21568 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Photo ID Amendment
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »
I wonder how the Founders lived their lives without carrying photo ID everywhere they went.

when did photography begin again?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
Lech Walesa?

Lech Walesa's crime & controversy was to start a non-gov't union.

As it currently stands, refusing to pay tickets, DUIs, and all manner of other offences can be punished by deprivation of an ID.   

Perhaps deprivation of a DL< but state ID is can still be obtained.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »
personnally, i have always wanted an amendment that would require a person to be 100% unbiased in their voting.  by that i mean if you get even 1 tax dollar through your paycheck, or some form of kick back, then you aren't allowed to vote.  i know this would greatly reduce our voting pool, but it is the only way for it to remain unbiased.  i mean how many public servants (teachers, policemen, firemen, etc), or welfare recipients vote for a decrease in taxes when they know their income could be on the line.  the only exception i might consider would be a member of the armed forces.

The VA sends me $$$ every month for injuries received performing my duty whilst in the US Army that preclude some employment opportunities.  I have voted for folks who would end or curtail that.

I have also voted for folks who claimed they would reduce gov't spending in my industry's sector.

But, I do understand your point.  I have made the same point, but with the "puts their life at risk for others" exception.  IOW, if their gov't job requires a significant risk of death above & beyond your average job, they keep the franchise.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2012, 11:56:23 AM »
De Selby,

I just saw that in another thread, you complained about "the 'all government is evil!' folks." That is the part you are playing in this thread. You won't accept the least bit of oversight over a public vote, but you support a greater level of regulation over the private sector.

That there is backwards.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2012, 11:58:59 AM »
Lech Walesa's crime & controversy was to start a non-gov't union.

But it was a public sector union, in that they worked for state-owned shipyards, yes?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2012, 03:10:34 PM »
Yeah, imagine of the government decide to stop people from taking your gun by registering it to you and implanting a chip in it, just to be sure that no one else would deprive you of your rights...

Yeah, imagine if we had to show photo ID in order to buy a gun  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »
The only way to protect the civil right to vote from descending into meaninglessness is for there to be a system in place that insures "one person, one vote".

If there is no system in place then there is no protection of my right.

The Democratic Machine in Chicago and all the other hacks across the country, regardless of political affiliation, will be free to "find" and/or bus in the votes needed to turn elections their way.   

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2012, 06:00:27 PM »
Voter ID protects a civil rights. Second Amendment protects a natural right.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2012, 06:36:25 PM »
>discretionary document<

And here is what you're twisting. You're presenting your argument as if the only form of ID is a driver's license.

At least in Wisconsin, you pop into the DMV, present whatever the required documentation is, pay your fee, and you're presented with a State ID. The only purpose of that card is to provide identification. It can't be "revoked", "suspended", nor "confiscated" by the authorities, as it is not any form of permit.

Because of that, De Selby, your argument fails
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2012, 06:45:57 PM »
In Texas, an ID under age 60 costs $16 and lasts 6 years. Over 60 it's $6 with no expiration. If the ability to exercise franchise isn't worth $2.67 to you annually, and proving your identity ONCE, perhaps you ought not bother about it.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
In Texas, an ID under age 60 costs $16 and lasts 6 years. Over 60 it's $6 with no expiration. If the ability to exercise franchise isn't worth $2.67 to you annually, and proving your identity ONCE, perhaps you ought not bother about it.

Did not the Texas voter ID law include provisions to provide id to the "under privileged"?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »
Did not the Texas voter ID law include provisions to provide id to the "under privileged"?

Dunno. If so, the only obligation is to stand in line at a DPS office with proof of identity. Where do we set the bar below that? Counting ballots written in mascara on paper towel?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »
Dunno. If so, the only obligation is to stand in line at a DPS office with proof of identity. Where do we set the bar below that? Counting ballots written in mascara on paper towel?

The welfare class is adept at standing in line.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2012, 09:30:04 PM »
The welfare class is adept at standing in line.
Yeah. When it's a gimmie some free *expletive deleted*it line
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2012, 09:38:42 PM »
The only way to protect the civil right to vote from descending into meaninglessness is for there to be a system in place that insures "one person, one vote".

If there is no system in place then there is no protection of my right.

The Democratic Machine in Chicago and all the other hacks across the country, regardless of political affiliation, will be free to "find" and/or bus in the votes needed to turn elections their way.  

I don't know why you're talking about what they "will" do. Aren't those things they have done?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 12:48:35 AM by fistful »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »

I don't know you're talking about what they "will" do. Aren't those things they have done?

That's what I was thinking ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2012, 12:21:05 AM »
Heard speculation on the radio the other day that the Texas voter ID law may be shot down, even though it's patterned after others that have been upheld. 

The reasoning was that some Texas residents might have to drive as much as 100 miles to obtain an ID card.

Texas is a large state, but 100 miles to the nearest DPS office?  I seriously doubt it.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2012, 01:29:32 AM »
Heard speculation on the radio the other day that the Texas voter ID law may be shot down, even though it's patterned after others that have been upheld. 

The reasoning was that some Texas residents might have to drive as much as 100 miles to obtain an ID card.

Texas is a large state, but 100 miles to the nearest DPS office?  I seriously doubt it.

Actually, I believe that one.  There is a goodly chunk of Texas closer to Chicago, Illinois than to El Paso, Texas.

Still, that is a bogus reason to strike down a law.  Where that fact prevails, EVERYTHING is 100+ miles away.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2012, 01:53:40 AM »
Texarkana -Chicago> ~795 miles
Brownsville-Amarillo>~ 800 miles
Texarkana - El Paso>~ 815 miles
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »

Texas is a large state, but 100 miles to the nearest DPS office?  I seriously doubt it.

In the western part of the state, I wouldn't doubt it.  But the idiotic thing is that many of those people are probably going long distance to vote.  
Of course, in the cities, where all the disenfranchisement supposedly happens anyways, there are DPS offices readily available.
JD

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
In the western part of the state, I wouldn't doubt it.  But the idiotic thing is that many of those people are probably going long distance to vote.  
Of course, in the cities, where all the disenfranchisement supposedly happens anyways, there are DPS offices readily available.

I drove an extra 40 miles to go to a DPS office in a more rural location when I needed to replace my DL.  Why?  Because all the ones near me were so mobbed by former residents of Oaxaca, I saved 2 hours by doing so.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2012, 09:53:55 AM »
Hey, talking about ID....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/08/treasury-inspector-general-says-changes-are-needed-to-detect-fraud/

Report finds widespread fraud in taxpayer ID program

A recently released report shows widespread tax fraud in connection with the federal government’s Individual Taxpayer Identification Number program.

The U.S. Treasury inspector general report accuses the IRS of discouraging employees from reviewing applications for the ID numbers, which are generally from non-resident workers.

The inspector general specifically said there were 154 mailing addresses that were used 1,000 or more times on applications, including 15,795 numbers assigned to a Phoenix address.

The report, which evaluated the processing year 2011, also found inadequate controls can result in the numbers being assigned to people who have not proved their identity or foreign status, which can result in fraudulent tax returns.

The inspector general also found 10 individual addresses were used for filing 53,994 tax returns and receiving $86.4 million in fraudulent tax refunds. For example, 23,994 tax refunds totaling $46.3 million were issued to an address in Atlanta; and 2,507 tax refunds totaling $10.4 million were issued to an address in Oxnard, Calif.

In addition, the Treasury’s Inspector General for Tax Administration reports found 10 bank accounts received 23,560 tax refunds totaling more than $16 million -- including: 2,706 tax refunds issued to a single account totaling $7.3 million.
Rep. Charles Boustany, R-La., told IRS Commissioner Douglas H. Shulman in a letter that IRS employees “are discouraged from flagging potentially fraudulent ITIN applications.” 

I recall a thread about fraudulent tax refunds by illegals and some folks declaring it unpossible.  Oh, really?

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2012, 10:04:16 AM »

Texarkana -Chicago> ~795 miles
Brownsville-Amarillo>~ 800 miles
Texarkana - El Paso>~ 815 miles

The neat thing is that Texarkanans don't need to drive to Chicago or El Paso to get an ID.
http://local.dmv.org/texas/bowie-county/texarkana/dmv-office-locations.php
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2012, 10:22:26 AM »
The neat thing is that Texarkanans don't need to drive to Chicago or El Paso to get an ID.
http://local.dmv.org/texas/bowie-county/texarkana/dmv-office-locations.php

I know that, Just illustrating earlier points.

City folk in particular just don't get it when t comes to how far away things can be way out here in fly over country.
I'm actually pretty close to things. The nearest Wal-mart is only a 48 mile round trip.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #99 on: August 09, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »
I know that, Just illustrating earlier points.

City folk in particular just don't get it when t comes to how far away things can be way out here in fly over country.
I'm actually pretty close to things. The nearest Wal-mart is only a 48 mile round trip.

I think that's closer than my parents' closest trip to Walmart. (And mine growing up.) Illinois is a big state...

And yet, Texas is several times bigger.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought