Author Topic: Mass shooting at Sikh temple in Wisconsin  (Read 12824 times)

agricola

• friend
Mass shooting at Sikh temple in Wisconsin
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
Six dead, three critically ill - one of whom is apparently the first cop on scene who was able to kill the gunman. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/05/gunman-sikh-temple-wisconsin
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Mass shooting at Sikh temple in Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »
Son of a BITCH, what the HELL is it with these maladjusted nitwits?

Seriously, people, stop shooting folks who didn't do a damned thing to you!

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:51:45 PM by Monkeyleg »
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »
Ten bucks says the temple was posted "no guns".

No bucks says that this will increase the calls for more gun control (I'm not betting against that).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 05:33:02 PM »
Ten bucks says the temple was posted "no guns".

Aren't Sikhs the ones who always carry knives  ???

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:46:07 PM »

but thems crashed into our towerzes

derp derp
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 05:52:06 PM »
CNN reporting now this will be investigated as a Domestic Act of Terrorism under the Patriot Act.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:09:44 PM »
CNN reporting now this will be investigated as a Domestic Act of Terrorism under the Patriot Act.
*expletive deleted*it, that will circumvent some of the search and seizure restrictions, I'll bet.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
but thems crashed into our towerzes

derp derp

I see what you did there. It really wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:31:31 PM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
Son of a BITCH, what the HELL is it with these maladjusted nitwits?

We ought to pass a law against  randomly shooting up a bunch of innocent people.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Livid. Just heard the domestic terrorism thing. Fort Hood, no terrorism. Arab shoots up El Al terminal at LAX? No terrorism. POS(muslim) rolls grenades into his COs tent? Nope, not close. White guy in "tactical" gear? Terrorism. Nope, no agenda here.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:05:39 PM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »
Still waiting for the obligatory linkage to right wing conservatives or the Tea Party.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »
Still waiting for the obligatory linkage to right wing conservatives or the Tea Party.

Don't rush it. I'm sure it will be on the "News at 11" tonight. If not before
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 07:07:18 PM »

Wait until the body temps hit 80 degrees. They're still a little warm.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
Livid. Just heard the domestic terrorism thing. Fort Hood, no terrorism. Arab shoots up El Al terminal at LAX? No terrorism. POS(muslim) rolls grenades into his COs tent? Nope, not close. White guy in "tactical" gear? Terrorism. Nope, no agenda here.

No kidding. Well done.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 07:12:09 PM »
CNN Interview, shooter white male with a 9/11 tatt
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:29:57 PM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »

Abraham Lincoln

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 08:09:28 PM »

I was thinking the same thing, it could be Barry is trying to deflect criticism by the head of the Sikh's I saw on CNN an hour ago...he was criticizing Barry for not immediately visiting the scene.....
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 08:45:45 PM »
It's ironic that every time a shooting involves Muslims, theres a rush to talk about links to mosques, Muslims trying to impose "sharia in America,". Etc....but when it looks like white gun owners will be stereotyped as nuts, suddenly we all see how senseless that kind of thinking is.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 08:55:58 PM »
It's ironic that every time a shooting involves Muslims, theres a rush to talk about links to mosques, Muslims trying to impose "sharia in America,". Etc....but when it looks like white gun owners will be stereotyped as nuts, suddenly we all see how senseless that kind of thinking is.

A very good point.  Especially when thinking of all the recent shootings by disaffected and/or mentally ill native born American white males with no apparent political motive to their slaughter of innocents. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 11:41:30 PM »
Sikh is from India.
This sucks, because I'll echo, I've never met a bad Sikh.  Very nice people, in general.

Though I do figure it was an idiot white american who doesn't know the difference between Sikhs and Muslims.  Idiot for going after Muslims(in general) too; but at least a step closer.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 02:24:06 AM »

Well, let's see.

When a Muslim is the bad apple, there is speculation about possible connections to the Islamic extremist conspiracy that has already attacked targets in the United States, murdering thousands. These are almost overwhelmed, in news/opinion media, by the affirmations that most Muslims are peace-loving, family-oriented, hard-working folk.

When the bad apple is a white gun owner, there is speculation about possible ties to peaceful, grass-roots political organizations (Tea Party) and human rights activists (NRA, etc), and whether the killer was inspired by monotonously mainstream politicos like Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin. These are not-quite-whelmed by affirmations that the Tea Party, NRA, Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin have never actually condoned or committed violence.

Is that irony? I don't know, it's late here. I'm going to bed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:19:37 AM by fistful »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 02:54:26 AM »
Sikh is from India.
This sucks, because I'll echo, I've never met a bad Sikh.  Very nice people, in general.

Though I do figure it was an idiot white american who doesn't know the difference between Sikhs and Muslims.  Idiot for going after Muslims(in general) too; but at least a step closer.

You've never met a bad Sikh, but a lot of people in Vancouver have.  Google Sikh gangs and see what you turn up. 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 03:17:26 AM »
This thread may not be the best place to point out that some Sikhs are bad people, because that has nothing to do with the attack that just occurred.

Edit: Yeah, I went to bed. Didn't take.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 03:20:49 AM by fistful »

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:58 AM »
This thread may not be the best place to point out that some Sikhs are bad people, because that has nothing to do with the attack that just occurred.

Edit: Yeah, I went to bed. Didn't take.

Yet threads about shootings by deranged Muslims are rife with pointing out that other Muslims are bad people.

Let's all say it together folks: individuals should not be punished for the deeds of other, unrelated individuals, Muslim, Sikh, Jew, Christian, white, black, or otherwise.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 06:25:12 AM »
....individuals should not be punished for the deeds of other, unrelated individuals, Muslim, Sikh, Jew, Christian, white, black, or otherwise.

Holy crap! De Selby posted something I not only agree with but try to hold as an axiom! *peeks outside the windows* Hmm, it's not raining frogs... yet.

Something a little more on-topic, this reminds me of a discussion a while back about suicide bombers in that there simply is bad people out there, and if said bad people have already decided to accept your most extreme deterrent (death penalty) as an acceptable final outcome those people are going to go ahead and do bad things no matter what we do. Welcome to a world of 7 billion people where Bad Stuff happens more often simply out of the sheer volume of people in existence and the corresponding tiny fraction of them being Bad People.