Author Topic: Mass shooting at Sikh temple in Wisconsin  (Read 12821 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Mass shooting at Sikh temple in Wisconsin
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 12:59:53 AM »
Interesting how the discussion dropped off when we learned that the shooter was a middle-aged white male Army vet with RAHOWA sympathies.  And yet we go on for pages and pages when the shooters are young black males or Muslims.  Huh.

We do?

The question, though, is not what "we" do but what the people who set the cultural and information agendas in America do.  I get the impression that if no "single white killer" materializes we have to invent one to fulfill The Script.  I see precious little coverage of the daily violence in black ghettos or along the Mexican border.  Apparently the definition of "mass killing" varies by locality...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:02:32 AM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 01:00:12 AM »
The fort hood shooting got tons of media about links to terror groups, the religiosity of the shooter, and so on.  Check out how APS treated it.

Notice the absence of comparable vitriol for this mass shooter in comparison?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 01:08:06 AM »
Forgive me for being a die-hard.  It's a habit I picked up long, long ago, and can't seem to shake even in this postmodernist time.

All these high-sounding network "debates" are just carefully scripted political narratives designed to skirt the real issues. 

To liberals I say this: Ghetto control, not gun control.
How would ghetto control have stopped the recent mass shootings????  Why would they be talking about that as a response?

???  Just WHAT is "Ghetto" control ? ? ?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 01:20:29 AM »
The fort hood shooting got tons of media about links to terror groups, the religiosity of the shooter, and so on.  Check out how APS treated it.

So, when a Muslim guy murders a bunch of Americans, and people speculate that he might be an Islamic terrorist, you call that vitriol? Please explain.

And when the Sikh temple shooter gives rise to "tons of media about links to" white supremacist groups, the racism of the shooter, and so on, that just doesn't count, huh?

Yeah, you might want to get a better grip on reality.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:24:54 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 01:48:16 AM »
"Ghetto control" would not have stopped Aurora or Oak Creek, but Aurora and Oak Creek are, if not anomalous, at least rare.  What isn't rare or anomalous is the daily slaughter in various enclaves around America.  It's been said there are in excess of one million gang members in America right now, most concentrated in urban centers.  My belief is that the membership of these gangs is well-known to law enforcement across America.  Also well-known is that a highly disproportionate amount of national violence, especially gun crime, is committed in those enclaves and by the aforesaid outlaws.  So my question would be this: what would be a rational solution to this problem?  Perhaps one of the leading lights of the anti-gun advocacy groups can tell us?
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 06:38:15 AM »

Don't know about Fort Hood, but in this case I'm still waiting on 'More Information'.

I'd consider it policies that seek to prevent the formation of densely populated areas with extremely high levels of poverty, to increase average incomes in areas already in that state, and otherwise seek to prevent the formations of areas that encourage the proliferation of violent gangs, drug use, etc...

And yeah, longeye's answer about ghetto control.  If we could clean up the worst 1% area of the USA for violent crime, we'd probably cut it in half.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
The fort hood shooting got tons of media about links to terror groups, the religiosity of the shooter, and so on.  Check out how APS treated it.

We had a very similar shooting not that long ago to the Oak Creek shooting. This one happened about 20 miles away and only involved a congregant shooting other members of the church, but its pretty much forgotten because there isn't anything sensational about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Ratzmann

Meanwhile, we don't even hear about all of the murders that happen daily in the shining city of Chicago just under 100 miles to the south.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2012, 08:06:42 AM »

We can look at this one dispassionately not because of the content of the disparate idealogies of the murderers.

We look at the threat of the ideology, not how offensive it is. Both ideologies are at war with the West. White supremacists/nationalists/nazis have a despicable ideology. Looking at it dispassionately, it is probably a worse ideology than radical Islam.

However, it is currently a defeated ideology. Its threats are already small and shrinking, not growing.

Radical islam is not a defeated ideology. The threats are much larger than that of White supremacists/nationalist/nazis and growing. Is it any wonder that we are more concerned about this growing ideology, which has the backing of several nations, than a defeated and withering one, with not even a single country backing it?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2012, 08:21:05 AM »
Let's not forget that the Ft. Hood shooting wasn't terrorism, it was "workplace violence".

IMO there are 2 basic types of people that carry out these mass murders.
The first is the batshit crazy types like Loughner in AZ and what the Aurora shooter is shaping up to be.
The second is the batshit crazy types with an ideological axe to grind like Hasan and Page.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2012, 11:16:30 AM »
IMO there are 2 basic types of people that carry out these mass murders.
The first is the batshit crazy types like Loughner in AZ and what the Aurora shooter is shaping up to be.
The second is the batshit crazy types with an ideological axe to grind like Hasan and Page.

If you were to draw a Venn diagram of the two groups, there would be a lot more that overlaps than doesn't.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2012, 11:37:01 AM »
"Batshit crazy" signifies idiosyncratic delusion.  Two components there.  Idiosyncratic.  Delusion.  It means I get a message from an extraterrestrial mother ship to kill a flock of mutant sheep in a nearby building.  I follow orders.  That building turns out to be a Sikh temple filled with congregants.

It does not mean acting on the collectively held value systems popular or unpopular, regarded as extreme or mainstream.  It does not mean Islam, White Supremacy, Black Power, Reconquista, Scientology, Santeria, Voodoo, or The American Way. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:14:27 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »

The popular word for it is "gentrification", and somehow it is evil and racist.
"It's good, though..."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
You cannot gentrify empty heads and abandoned hearts.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »
White supremacists/nationalists/nazis have a despicable ideology.

Seems like we had a little conflict over that a while back  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/social_issues/july-dec12/hate_08-08.html

Interesting article, and I was unaware that the white supremacist movement has five main subgroups in it. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
A government that continues to slice and dice Americans by race and ethny in its endless search for demographic blocs and protected entitled minorities should hardly be surprised to find "white supremacy" subgroups in America.  All that remains is for them to receive the proper Federal sub-agency to listen to their grievances.  It might be a larger constituency than many in .gov expect.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.