Author Topic: TIME Magazine phones it in - and gets a wrong number.  (Read 3015 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
TIME Magazine phones it in - and gets a wrong number.
« on: August 10, 2012, 08:00:03 AM »
TIME Magazine phones it in - and gets a wrong number.

Actually, they get a lot of numbers wrong.  And yet the introduction shows so much promise of someone who might actually "get it".  :facepalm:

Possibly the only reason to read the editorial, or even click the link in the first place, is to see the very pretty graphic the art department came up with.  I wonder if you could get that done in Cerakote?

Go ahead, click the link and look at the pretty paint job.

stay safe.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2121660,00.html

After the ghastly act of terrorism against a Sikh temple in Wisconsin on Aug. 5, Americans are pondering how to stop gun violence. We have decided that it is, in the words of New York Times columnist David Brooks, a problem of psychology, not sociology. We are trying to fathom the evil ideology of Wade Michael Page. Only several weeks ago, we were all trying to understand the twisted psychology of James Holmes, the man who killed 12 innocents at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo. Before that it was the mania of Jared Loughner, who shot Congresswoman Gabby Giffords last year.
Certainly we should try to identify such people and help treat and track them. But aside from the immense difficulty of such a task--there are millions of fanatical, crazy people, and very few turn into mass murderers--it misses the real problem.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

brimic

• friends
Re: TIME Magazine phones it in - and gets a wrong number.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »
Why doesn't Time like the trigger on the BHP?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 08:13:35 AM »

Maybe they prefer DA's...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »
Someone pays attention to Time magazine?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
I note that they found an Inglis model BHP, one of the more interesting variations of the best europellet projector in existence.  Someone must have actually looked for that one.  I wonder if whomever it was knows that?

Russ

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:24:19 PM »
Someone pays attention to Time magazine?

I didn't know they were still in business.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »
yup. they can be found in every grocery store in america.  (right next to the national enquirer)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 02:44:43 PM »
Is it just me, or are the "comments" sections on nooz articles being eliminated?

Seems to be a lot less welcome from the established media for any feedback from us proles, lately.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »
Sometimes I think these magazines are kept going solely by doctor's offices and haircut places. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 04:13:21 PM »
Sometimes I think these magazines are kept going solely by doctor's offices and haircut places. 

The only magazines at my barber shop are Field and Stream, American Cattleman(?) and Progressive Farmer.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »
Is it just me, or are the "comments" sections on nooz articles being eliminated?

Seems to be a lot less welcome from the established media for any feedback from us proles, lately.

They do not welcome the competition from writers who are better informed, more accurate, and who have better mastery of the English language.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 04:34:11 PM »

Its that dern magazine disconnect. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »

I saw what ya dun thur.

If I ran a news site, I don't think I'd have comments, either. They tend to be a cesspool.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »
The author of the article (Fareed Zakaria) has been suspended by Time magazine.  Apparently his gun control piece was at least partially plagiarized:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Zakaria-suspended-for-copying-other-writer-s-work-3779161.php

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 07:12:10 PM »
 :rofl:

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 09:36:38 PM »
I like their gunsmithing. What do you do, fan the hammer and then let it mag dump? Pretty spiffy cyclic rate was my BHP experience from a faulty sear.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 10:16:54 PM »
The author of the article (Fareed Zakaria) has been suspended by Time magazine.  Apparently his gun control piece was at least partially plagiarized:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Zakaria-suspended-for-copying-other-writer-s-work-3779161.php

Ain't the first time ol' Quick Draw Zakaria shot first and cited sources later.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 11:00:02 PM »

That. Was. Hilarious.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »

I've noticed that too. When I read an article like that I wonder what the commentors have to say, and I've noticed that lately a lot don't have a comment section.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 12:16:35 AM »
Did anybody else see "How the Gun Won" by Joe Klein, in last Monday's Time? I didn't get to read the whole thing, but it had a really interesting graph showing the number of gun-related mass murders peaking near the end of the AWB era, then declining since the sunset. This was true both for the number of events and number of casualties.

There's a link to it here, but it's just a tease. Full article only for subscribers.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2120498,00.html

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 12:23:44 AM »
I don't much care for the looks of the polished turd that wrote the article, but the allegations of plagiarizing stem from the following:

In Zakaria's column, titled "The Case for Gun Control," he began one paragraph with the sentences: "Adam Winkler, a professor of constitutional law at UCLA, documents the actual history in 'Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America.' Guns were regulated in the U.S. from the earliest years of the Republic."

A corresponding passage in Lepore's New Yorker essay, titled "Battleground America," begins: "As Adam Winkler, a constitutional-law scholar at U.C.L.A., demonstrates in a remarkably nuanced new book, 'Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America,' firearms have been regulated in the United States from the start."

Two sentences versus one in Lepore's work.  Similar phrase structure, but different words all around.

If that's all he borrowed, it's a stretch to call it plagiarism.

But he's still a hoplophobic panty-wetting east coast sissy, so I don't have too much empathy for him.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 05:09:02 AM »
I don't much care for the looks of the polished turd that wrote the article, but the allegations of plagiarizing stem from the following:

Two sentences versus one in Lepore's work.  Similar phrase structure, but different words all around.

If that's all he borrowed, it's a stretch to call it plagiarism.

But he's still a hoplophobic panty-wetting east coast sissy, so I don't have too much empathy for him.

You really need to read the two side by side.  Plagerism is not defined just by copying someone else's work word for word, punctuation for punctuation.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.