Author Topic: Shooting at Texas A&M  (Read 3603 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Shooting at Texas A&M
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:00:21 PM »
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/13/13261291-police-officers-among-multiple-casualties-as-gunman-opens-fire-near-texas-am?lite

Another mass shooting with multiple casualties and the gunman is in custody.  Developing story.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Shooting at Texas A&M
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
ah hell...

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »
WTF with all the copy cats?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 03:20:40 PM »

Yea, was wondering that myself...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »

They see one, dude gets (in)famous, and decide to try it for themselves.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

agricola

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 03:24:53 PM »
They see one, dude gets (in)famous, and decide to try it for themselves.

We have a much more benign version of that phenomenon over here... at the moment you cant move outside for would-be heptathletes and track cyclists.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »
Not a copy cat, even judging by that article.  Two LEO's and one civilian injured , one shooter, in public, near TAM?  Sounds like a criminal shooting at police, so what is the perp copying?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 03:32:29 PM »
And the only supplemental datum they can add about A&M is the Bush Library? Really?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 04:41:12 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/13/justice/texas-am-shooting/index.html

Looks like things went sideways after an eviction notice.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 04:46:38 PM »
Not a copy cat, even judging by that article.  Two LEO's and one civilian injured , one shooter, in public, near TAM?  Sounds like a criminal shooting at police, so what is the perp copying?

I stand corrected with more information.  I fell for the typical MSM  OMG!!!!!1111!!!! look what is happening.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 04:53:10 PM »
And the only supplemental datum they can add about A&M is the Bush Library? Really?

They also mentioned that the constable who was killed was a Republican.  ???

Someone wanna tell me why any of this is national news?   Seems like a big LOCAL story to me.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 05:53:37 PM »
What I haven't seen yet is who/why the other bystander was killed and another one injured.  Also, who was the shooter (student or older resident)?  It has been dang near twenty years since I lived there.  The houses I am thinking of were all old and combo of student rentals and poorer residents (assuming I have the location right). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »
Unless the shooter was a demented white man referencing the Constitution the story will die fast.  Count on that.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
What I haven't seen yet is who/why the other bystander was killed and another one injured.  Also, who was the shooter (student or older resident)?  It has been dang near twenty years since I lived there.  The houses I am thinking of were all old and combo of student rentals and poorer residents (assuming I have the location right). 

They are between summer school and the start of the fall semester right now -- so the campus should be pretty much deserted.

"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 07:13:28 PM »
Good point.  I guess a student is also less likely to take eviction proceeding all the way to the point of a constable showing up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 07:57:11 PM »
Step father of the shooter said he was nuts, and he was not surprised,
Said that he and his wife expected the shooter to come and kill them in their house.
Way to keep quit about it.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 08:06:07 PM »
No kidding.  Thanks for nothing, folks.  A little time spent on the phone to the police MIGHT have had an effect.   :facepalm:
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 08:11:38 PM »
No kidding.  Thanks for nothing, folks.  A little time spent on the phone to the police MIGHT have had an effect.   :facepalm:

Not necessarily, that's a very slippery slope. Do you really want sumdood down the block with an agenda calling the cops saying you're nuts and they come to your place to collect any guns until you prove you're sane?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 09:29:11 PM »
Not necessarily, that's a very slippery slope. Do you really want sumdood down the block with an agenda calling the cops saying you're nuts and they come to your place to collect any guns until you prove you're sane?

Yep, like the SWATting the lefty bloggers have been doing to conservatives.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 12:08:30 PM »
The only other tidbit I heard was that the office was not there evict the guy, just to serve him with the summons to appear at the eviction hearing.  I heard he was 2 months behind in rent.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
The only other tidbit I heard was that the office was not there evict the guy, just to serve him with the summons to appear at the eviction hearing.  I heard he was 2 months behind in rent.
Right - local news mentioned that the earliest he would be evicted was the end of the month, so the constable was just there to deliver/serve legal papers, NOT to physically remove him from the premises.

Well, unless he gets the needle, I don't think the perp will have to worry about finding a place to live for the next 30 years or so.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »
Step father of the shooter said he was nuts, and he was not surprised, Said that he and his wife expected the shooter to come and kill them in their house.
Way to keep quit about it.

That kind of bothers me that the police did not react in some way.  But we all know unless you are a celebrity, the police will not protect you.  I have been threatened and the police did absolutely nothing.

As far as I know, he was not a student nor was the crime committed on campus.  So why does the press call it Texas A&M instead of College Station or Bryan?  We know why.

Too many of these crazy's killing people.  I don't look forward to the political debate.  Means testing for gun ownership?  Annual pyshological testing?  Forced psychological testing or evaluation after someone "calls it in"??  Good boy letters to buy guns?  A registry to know how mnay guns are owned by potential crazy's?  Police knocking doors down at private homes to force testing?

It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »
Well, unless he gets the needle, I don't think the perp will have to worry about finding a place to live for the next 30 years or so.
"He's dead, Jim."

I thought they said he was one of the 3 dead people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
That kind of bothers me that the police did not react in some way.  But we all know unless you are a celebrity, the police will not protect you.  I have been threatened and the police did absolutely nothing.

As far as I know, he was not a student nor was the crime committed on campus.  So why does the press call it Texas A&M instead of College Station or Bryan?  We know why.

Too many of these crazy's killing people.  I don't look forward to the political debate.  Means testing for gun ownership?  Annual pyshological testing?  Forced psychological testing or evaluation after someone "calls it in"??  Good boy letters to buy guns?  A registry to know how mnay guns are owned by potential crazy's?  Police knocking doors down at private homes to force testing?

Because "3 Dead People in College Station" is a headline that would never get picked up Nationally.  "SHOOTING AT TEXAS A&M" does get picked up and generates plenty of readers even though it isn't technically true and the incident isn't that bad compared to other incidents around the nation.