Author Topic: What Happened to America's Dog?  (Read 9970 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: What Happened to America's Dog?
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 09:55:12 PM »
I have a Pit Bull that wandered into our yard and "adopted" us. Tried to give it to a good home, but he ran away from them & came back to us. We had to keep him then. In demeanor, he makes the Cowardly Lion look like a WWE wrestler. Once, a teenager walking by our house asked if he bites. I replied, "No, but I do."

He actually doesn't have to be mean. While any intruder is focused on Bulldog, Dingo (yes, an actual dingo) sneaks up behind them....I don't get many uninvited guests.... =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
Insanity is the norm for chihuahuas. (Just be glad they don't grow to 100 lbs!)

Agirl I used to know was babysitting a flock of chihuahuas, she always left her door unlocked and I had personal belongings inside I needed - I was immediately surrounded by the chi dogs, & I said "awwww look at the little guard doggies, I am skeeeeeered" that really angered one of them who launched herself on my calf.....it hurt for two weeks!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 10:54:16 PM »
Our Chewawa is half Basenji, we think   ???

She yodels  =D

Apparently, some SOB dumped a litter up here in the hills in the winter, and she was the only one that survived  =|  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 10:58:52 PM »
Amen.

Despite cajoling her to get a mixed breed rescue of some sort, my mother went and spent X thousands on a Westie instead. And "little *expletive deleted*" describes that dog to a T.

It's run away a few times, and barks at everything with a piercing ear-shattering yap.

Of course it's "just loveable" enough that my parents will tolerate the dog for the next 15-odd years it lives.  :P

I don't understand at all why people will piss away thousands on ugly little yapping shithead dogs as status symbols. I just don't get it. They arent cute and are always annoying as hell.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 12:12:36 AM »
I don't understand at all why people will piss away thousands on ugly little yapping shithead dogs as status symbols. I just don't get it. They arent cute and are always annoying as hell.

I like westies and the like. Terriors are awesome. The issue is they're really not meant to live in the house as just pets. Like BC's they need more in their lives. Lot's of crazy westies in the world, but whem you come across the good ones, you find out why they're so popular.

I used to loath a lot of toy breeds, particularly Pomarianians. Now, I would own a Pom in a heartbeat. They have really dynamic and clownish personalitys in a very compact form. A good Pom is hard to hate.

But bad ones, man, bad ones can drive you up a wall.

The one breed, though, that I hated before and still hate now are Cocker Spanials. Mind you, I hate the American Cockers, not the English ones, and yes, there is a diffrence. The English Cockers are still functional feild dogs and are still used for hunting, they are the orginals and they still can do what they were orginally breed to do.
The American Cockers where basterized into fashionable pets. They got "pretty" (although I think they are actually the uglier of the two breeds) with longer thicker coats, and they got dumb. Really, really dumb.
I love bird dogs, but they don't generally have a lot of smarts to begin with. Feathery tails and feathery brains. The ditzes of the dog world. The fact that someone took a bird dog and actually, intentionally bred it to be dumber then the orginal is total WTF  :facepalm:
I hate the stupid, hyper, little bastards. The lot of them are dumber then a box of rocks and make Pearl look like a canine Albert Enstien.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 03:46:23 PM »
IMO Combination of factors:

1. Some breeds of dogs really are, on average, less likely to put up with crap from other creatures (Other dogs, people, whatever.)  obviously individual dogs vary, but breed traits do exist.

2. Bigger dogs do more damage when they bite.  IIRC the CDC lists Jack Russel Terriers and Yorkies as the breeds with the most reported bites, but they do very little damage when they do.

3. Large have become more popular amongs American subcultures that don't seem to understand, or care, about living with large preditors that don't neccesarily think like people.*

Pitts are at the epicenter of all three of these factors.

*No really.  I have it out with stupid dog owners all the time.  see those big pointy teeth your dogs have?  That means they eat little creatures.  It's neither cute, nor acceptable, for your dog to be aggressive or dominant.  Control the damn thing!

No one disputes dog breeds have in born tendencies to certain behaviours. Some breeds cough cough Fila Brasileros cough cough have human aggression as part of their breed standard. But it is absolutely incorrect to say that pit bulls display human aggression as an in born trait, aside from the ones meth heads and gang bangers breed. They take a dog, brutalize it, and selectively breed for aggression. Any breed that was treated this way would be dangerous.

Back in the day when dog fighting was a more formalized sport ala horse racing, any hint of human aggression was immediately culled. The dog's owners would go into the pit and grab the dogs mid fight, usually several times in one match. Obviously they didn't want a dog that would bite humans, even under those conditions, as the breeders are the ones who would get bitten.

Now dog fighting is largely the realm of the aforementioned trailer trash and gang bangers and the old formal rules are not followed.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »
No one disputes dog breeds have in born tendencies to certain behaviours. Some breeds cough cough Fila Brasileros cough cough have human aggression as part of their breed standard. But it is absolutely incorrect to say that pit bulls display human aggression as an in born trait, aside from the ones meth heads and gang bangers breed. They take a dog, brutalize it, and selectively breed for aggression. Any breed that was treated this way would be

I don't recall saying that. 

Pit's, like Liz said, are more likely as a breed to respond to stress with aggression. That's the breed trait.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 05:29:23 PM »
Let me repeat what Balog said as it is the truth.

Historically, Pits that showed any hint of human aggression were not bred and were not fought. There was a decades long process of breeding aggression towards humans out of the breed.

There were three folks in the ring with the dogs generally, can't have a man biter in the ring.

The thugs and idiots have just about ruined the breed though. Indiscriminate or wrong headed breeding has taken its toll.

If you could find a pure fighting line going back to the "heyday" of dogfighting and get a puppy you would get a lovable little dog with little to no human aggression but plenty of innate potential aggression toward other dogs.

For the record I am opposed to all dog fighting, even including dog fights over bones and toys that take place in my home.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »
Let me repeat what Balog said as it is the truth.

Historically, Pits that showed any hint of human aggression were not bred and were not fought. There was a decades long process of breeding aggression towards humans out of the breed.

There were three folks in the ring with the dogs generally, can't have a man biter in the ring.

The thugs and idiots have just about ruined the breed though. Indiscriminate or wrong headed breeding has taken its toll.

If you could find a pure fighting line going back to the "heyday" of dogfighting and get a puppy you would get a lovable little dog with little to no human aggression but plenty of innate potential aggression toward other dogs.

For the record I am opposed to all dog fighting, even including dog fights over bones and toys that take place in my home.

Any dog can be aggressive to humans with the right stimuli.

Breeds with strong traits of dominace and aggression are like having a hair trigger.
I know of several breeds that are traditionally much more dangorous to people then other dogs. The Black Russian Terrior, for example, usually doesn't give a crap about other dogs in it's vicinity, but will take an unsuspecting face off any person that gets close and acts stupid.

However, just because a BRT isn't going to go after dogs willienillie doesn't mean I'd let one of my dogs run up to one and get pushy. The BRT is just not a pushover type breed, and with their history of being a dominate and aggressive animal, their responce to ANY perseaved challenge is generally going to involve teeth.

Any breed with a fighting/gaurding background (and this includes Anatolians) have traits for confidance and to be dominate. Combine that with aggression and a wrong move is going to end up with someone bloody, and usually it's not the dog.

Yes, dogs from such lines are going to display LESS aggression towards humans, in general. But it's a mistake to think they would never bite someone, and it's foolish to think that the can be completly trustworthy around every person they encounter.

Stress, challenges, perseved threats and fear can make any dog dangourous and breeds with traits of dominace and agression are more likely to become so.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 06:43:46 PM »
A couple of Great Pyrenes nearly killed a friend of ours a couple years ago  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2012, 07:59:40 PM »
<----- bit on ass by Rhodesian ridgeback.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2012, 08:11:21 PM »
<----- bit on ass by Rhodesian ridgeback.

What was her name?

;) =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2012, 08:31:12 PM »
Just because they are wearing high heels doesn't mean they're friendly!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 09:09:36 PM »
Taking a statement that applies to all dog breeds and trying to use it as evidence of the danger of pit bulls is silly and disingenuous.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 10:30:59 PM »
Taking a statement that applies to all dog breeds and trying to use it as evidence of the danger of pit bulls is silly and disingenuous.

Stress, challenges, perseved threats and fear can make any dog dangourous and breeds with traits of dominace and agression are more likely to become so 

[sarcasam] but of course you would know more about this then me, what with your VAST experiance working with companion animals [/sarcasm]
 ;/

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »
What was her name?

;) =D =D =D

Don't ask.....don't tell.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 12:26:38 AM »
What was her name?

;) =D =D =D

Daisy. As in pushing up daisies.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 11:01:57 AM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 12:18:45 PM »
Looking at the thread title, is the Pit Bull "America's Dog" or just terrier breeds? 

I grew up with mostly mutts anyway so the idea of some predominant breed being "American" seems a strange idea.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 12:25:01 PM »
Georgia woman who rescued animals killed in dog attack

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/17/georgia-woman-who-rescued-animals-killed-in-dog-attack/?test=latestnews
Sad to see something like that.  Not too common, but I guess you always have to be real weary of dogs you don't know. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »
Even dogs you know. A pack ain't pretty. And if you stop being alpha to one you are in trouble. If. One dog hits you the others may well follow.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »

Georgia woman who rescued animals killed in dog attack

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/17/georgia-woman-who-rescued-animals-killed-in-dog-attack/?test=latestnews
Sad to see something like that.  Not too common, but I guess you always have to be real weary of dogs you don't know. 

There are not many people in this world I would think capable of taking a Presa as a houseguest. Especially not with a pit, a boxer mix and another Presa already in the house.
Ten bucks one dog got pissy with one of the other dogs, war broke out and girl tried to step in to break it up.
People who devote themselves to rescue work are either really smart and dedicated or real idiots. You don't really see much middle ground. Sounds like somebody got in way over her head.
When dogs like that get to fighting, getting them to stop is excedingly dangorous and extreamly difficult. I absolutly loath when the Anatolians get into it. The only thing worse then having dogs die, is having a major dog fight that has to be broken up.
Two Presa's? Yeah, I don't think I would even try to break it up.  =|

• friends
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »
co2 fire extinguisher or stinger rounds
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2012, 09:37:26 PM »
co2 fire extinguisher or stinger rounds

you'd have to incapacitate both dogs simutaniously to save both.

The CO2 is a good idea though. Maybe I'll ask katie. A fire extinguisher in the feed room might have broken up the Dinah/Queenie battle without as much damage.

Hmmmm... Now that I think of it...

• friends
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »
i had a husky lab mix female that was very dog aggresive. she tied up with a rhodesian ridgeback. the stinger rounds made em both haul butt. i was too close broke their skin