Author Topic: The Oatmeal takes on religion  (Read 7833 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Oatmeal takes on religion
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 07:38:44 PM »
Given I actually know people, studying graduate school history, who actually argue against the concept of historical truth...

Then there is a guy like Bart Ehrrorman, who combines the study of religion with a denial that any objective truth exists.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 09:09:40 PM »
I like science! Its neat!

My fave science quote is "matter can neither be created or destroyed" .... well, that certainly explains the big bang!
in the beginning there was nothing, nothing being very unstable exploded. Then there was something.

I am smartier then all the atheist who never killed people in Red China or the Soviet Union!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
I have to agree with some of y'all: his lil snit throughout the strip was kinda stupid. I DID agree with the ending segment, though
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 11:11:54 PM »
I have to agree with some of y'all: his lil snit throughout the strip was kinda stupid. I DID agree with the ending segment, though

Then at the very end, it says that if your religion helps you to be happy and help people, that you should keep it to yourself. I'm pretty sure that was one of the stupid parts.  =)  So it starts with the stupid part about how judging people is bad, then there's a lot of judging people, in between, then it ends with a stupid part about how you shouldn't tell people about a belief that makes you a better person. (Although it is apparently acceptable to tell others about beliefs that make you a bad person (not that that would be judgy, or anything).)

Yeah, it's kind of a laugh riot all the way through. I could pick apart all of the half-baked silliness, but that would just make me pull my hair out. And it would be judging, which is bad. Or not.

Maybe the title should be "How to suck at thinking about religion."

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 12:05:30 AM »
Many of you have valid complaints about the strip, but

Every time someone has homosexual intercourse, God punishes us by letting Nickelback release another album

may be the funniest thing I've ever read.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 12:39:40 AM »

Every time someone has homosexual intercourse, God punishes us by letting Nickelback release another album

I actually thought that, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 07:22:16 AM »
Yep, was a funny part.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »
A while back he pointed out all the folks killed in the name of Christianity and Islam, and contrasted it with the absolute lack of people killed by atheism. He never answered my question as to whether he was aware of the official religious policy of Communism.
So because Communist governments loved them some atheism atheism in general is guilt by association? I'd say such people were killed by communism, not atheism.

The only thing funny is the irony...
The cartoonist loathes the proselytizing by religeous people so much that he spends several hours drawing a cartoon to post on mass media to tell everyone how stupid their religeon is.

Live and let live? Nyet.

Did the comic knock on your door to tell you of its glorious message? Did it stop you on the street? Or did you voluntarily click on the link and read it of your own free will? Therein lies the difference.
Look, tiny text!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:49 AM »
So because Communist governments loved them some atheism atheism in general is guilt by association? I'd say such people were killed by communism, not atheism.

Well, on that logic, just how many people were actually killed by "Christianity" and not governments that loved them some "Christianity"?

Did the comic knock on your door to tell you of its glorious message? Did it stop you on the street? Or did you voluntarily click on the link and read it of your own free will? Therein lies the difference.

I wonder how he found the link in the first place...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 08:43:44 AM »
No difference. You can ignore someone ringing your doorbell or someone bugging you on the street just the same.

Barack Obama

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 08:49:27 AM »
The whole modern entertainment media is filled with outspoken atheists presenting similar snarky commentary in TV shows, movies, interviews etc.

It is probably more out there than the simple gospel of Christ.

Most everyone probably has heard any number of the snarky comments the strip contains in both video and print media. It didn't contain anything I had never heard before.

In my occasional discussions about "religion" with friends and acquaintances most would be hard pressed to succinctly sum up what the gospel of Christ actually is.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:52:36 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 09:28:15 AM »
No difference. You can ignore someone ringing your doorbell or someone bugging you on the street just the same.

Yes there is a difference, one requires an action on your part, the other requires and action on someone elses part.
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »
Atheists don't need to go door-to-door to "evangelize." They have the schools for that.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »
Yes there is a difference, one requires an action on your part, the other requires and action on someone elses part.
I think the point is that this comic is an example of the author not keeping his beliefs "to [his] f***ing self" as he advocates for everyone else.  Whether you can find a theist (or an atheist for that matter) who is pushier than the author of this comic irrelevant.

As irritating as it may be to have people you disagree with attempt to proselytize to you, I find it hard to fault someone who truly believes their way of life can bring happiness, well being, strength, etc. to others and tries to share that.  On the other hand, when people attempt to use the rule of law to enforce or suppress religious convictions beyond what is reasonable*, that is worth getting offended about.

* Reasonable religious convictions to enforce include prohibitions against murder and theft and so forth.  Reasonable religious convictions to suppress might include human sacrifice, ritualized rape and the like.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:32:48 PM by cordex »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »

1. Can't have it both ways. Either nominally Christian (or atheist) .govs committing murder is the fault of their theological underpinnings, or they aren't. Can't say "Everything the other side does is attributable to their ideology, but nothing my side does is."

2. Do you really not the the irony in someone loudly evangelizing their position, when their position is that evangelism is wrong? Quite the double standard. "When Christian .govs kill people, the fault lies with the religion. When atheist .govs kill people, it has nothing to do with atheism. When people evangelize for their religion they're horrible and awful. When I evangelize for my (atheistic) religion, it's awesome!"  ;/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 04:45:38 PM »
Well, no one has ever knocked on my door trying to get me to believe in nothing  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:42 PM »
1. Can't have it both ways. Either nominally Christian (or atheist) .govs committing murder is the fault of their theological underpinnings, or they aren't. Can't say "Everything the other side does is attributable to their ideology, but nothing my side does is."

2. Do you really not the the irony in someone loudly evangelizing their position, when their position is that evangelism is wrong? Quite the double standard. "When Christian .govs kill people, the fault lies with the religion. When atheist .govs kill people, it has nothing to do with atheism. When people evangelize for their religion they're horrible and awful. When I evangelize for my (atheistic) religion, it's awesome!"  ;/

This. With bells on it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 05:17:45 PM »

Well, no one has ever knocked on my door trying to get me to believe in nothing  :P

Well, there's always this:

Atheists don't need to go door-to-door to "evangelize." They have the schools for that.

Oh, and keep in mind that there's always a media culture prepared to anti-evangelize for religions whenever they believe they can get away with it.

You will find them inclined to ratchet up the rhetoric in ratio to the likelihood that the religion in question might rock some boat or other.  Buddhists seldom rock boats, and they seldom catch flak [at least in a mostly civilized society].  Catholics are harder to attack, but they have their vulnerabilities.  Anything that can be branded a "cult" (and that still includes LDS) is fair game.

Ironically, if a religion (or cult) is actually dangerous -- you know, violent responses to criticism -- the Press is much more circumspect.  Similarly, once a religion figures out that "doing nothing" is how you go extinct, they find ways to hit back, only instead of bombs they might choose to grab an assault lawyer instead.

Public ridicule is aggression.  If you plan to survive as a church, you never let that go unanswered.  In some cases it's enough to simply prosper beyond the ability of the aggressor to squelch.  In other cases you bring on the attorneys.

Religion, as misused and co-opted as it may have been, is still the traditional -- and most reliable -- vehicle of morality and ethical foundations.

Religious intolerance is corrosive stuff.

Eats away the very fabric of a culture.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »
and movies, TV shows, well paid comics, pundits & the ACLU
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 08:30:02 PM »

Yes, he does get props for that. Death to Nickelback.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 08:53:37 PM »
I'm happy to say that I was blissfully unaware of the Nickelback scourge until I heard an explanation of it a few days ago. Until then, they were just a band name that people used as a punchline every so often, but I didn't know why.

I have also never heard a Bieber song.

See? There is a God.  :angel:

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 11:04:24 PM »

There is a difference between evangelizing your position on your own website which you own and which others must choose to visit to see said evangelizing and walking up to peoples doors or on the street.

I believe people killed by Communist governments were killed by Communism, not atheism, because that was their ideological underpinnings. In Communism the state was god.

I havn't defended anything the Oatmeal said, only attacked specific posters positions.
Look, tiny text!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 11:24:42 PM »
There is a difference between evangelizing your position on your own website which you own and which others must choose to visit to see said evangelizing and walking up to peoples doors or on the street.
It sucks living in a country where you don't have the right to not be offended, doesn't it?

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 11:26:55 PM »
I despise the radical atheists as much as I do the rabid evangelicals.  =(

It's no problem to me if folks want to celebrate warm fuzzy holidays.  =)

But I've been in those churches that tell you that once you've heard their teaching, that you're going to hell if you ever leave them.  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 12:44:17 AM »
So the author of this comic is more like Jack Chick, and the folks who spread the comic around (MillCreek excluded, of course) are like the people who shove Chick tracts at passers by?