Author Topic: The Oatmeal takes on religion  (Read 7831 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: The Oatmeal takes on religion
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 05:54:05 AM »
The best humor comes from observationsmade about truth.....this guy is more about pushing his belief than observing truth....so the funny never quite makes an appearance.

....and I'm with Jamis....let's see him do the same comic about Islam or Sikhism....see if he gets the same warm fuzzies....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 06:02:28 AM »
I confess I'm a little amazed that some folks are so mortaly offended by people knocking on their door.

Once i stopped trying to be a dick to them, I have had great success with "No thanks, I don't want to talk to you." Are Mormans and JW's pushier out west? Because in the grand historical scheme of prostelizing, turning down a copy of the watchtower is pretty low key.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 07:46:19 AM »
It sucks living in a country where you don't have the right to not be offended, doesn't it?

Not really, as long as I can tell them to get off my lawn and boot them in the ass when they refuse its actually pretty nice not having to worry about state persecution... as much as other countries.

So the author of this comic is more like Jack Chick, and the folks who spread the comic around (MillCreek excluded, of course) are like the people who shove Chick tracts at passers by?

I guess you could put it that way but sending someone a link still isnt quite the same as bothering them in person.
Look, tiny text!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »
So do you view Girl Scouts and folks gathering signatures with the same vehement dislike RS?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »
I confess I'm a little amazed that some folks are so mortaly offended by people knocking on their door.

I'm not sure where folks get from a comic strip to mortally offended  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »
>Once i stopped trying to be a dick to them, I have had great success with "No thanks, I don't want to talk to you." Are Mormans and JW's pushier out west? Because in the grand historical scheme of prostelizing, turning down a copy of the watchtower is pretty low key.<

Actually, some of them around here get WAY too pushy, and downright offensive.

>So do you view Girl Scouts and folks gathering signatures with the same vehement dislike RS? <

Girl Scouts = cookies
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2012, 04:25:01 PM »
So do you view Girl Scouts and folks gathering signatures with the same vehement dislike RS?

I never mentioned any vehement dislike, but yes I don't like to be bugged by anyone soliciting anything in general.
Look, tiny text!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »
Girl Scouts = cookies

And you're a sucker for thin mints.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2012, 08:42:32 PM »
mmm, cookie
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:46:34 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »
I have no idea what you're talking about
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2012, 08:46:02 PM »
I never mentioned any vehement dislike, but yes I don't like to be bugged by anyone soliciting anything in general.

Oh yea, it's obvious that's all that is bugging you about religion!  ;)  :lol:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/22/signs-attack-religion-ahead-democratic-convention/
The signs, paid for by American Atheists Incorporated (AAI) and appearing along keylocal highways, include messages such as: "Christianity: Sadistic God, Useless Savior" and "Mormonism: Magic Underwear, Baptizes Dead People, Big Money, Big Bigotry." AAI President David Silverman told FoxNews.com the signs are aimed at keeping religion and politics separate as the convention gets under way Sept. 3.

Good thing we don't have to see obnoxious Atheistic proselytization unless we go out of our way and choose to.  ;/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/22/signs-attack-religion-ahead-democratic-convention/
Good thing we don't have to see obnoxious Atheistic proselytization unless we go out of our way and choose to.  ;/

You can find obnoxious proselytization of many stripes out in the world. Also if thats a thinly veiled poke at me I never said you only had to worry about being bugged by atheists if you chose to.
Look, tiny text!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »
American Atheists Incorporated

The United Atheists Alliance and the Unified Atheists League launched lawsuits against American Atheists Incorporated for infringement upon the organizational structure and market share of the Atheist community.

The Allied Atheists Alliance, however, have mounted a cavalry charge on their ostriches and have vowed to eat AAI's brains from their tummies.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »
I highly resent anyone telling me what is or isn't "out there"  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2012, 05:32:00 PM »
Good thing we don't have to see obnoxious Atheistic proselytization unless we go out of our way and choose to.  ;/

Organized atheism is a religion in itself.
And as long as they stay the *expletive deleted*ck off my lawn I don't care. Door to door atheists get yelled at just the same as Mormons JW's and anyone else not bearing mother *expletive deleted*ing thin mints.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2012, 05:34:57 PM »
And as long as they stay the *expletive deleted* off my lawn I don't care. Door to door atheists get yelled at just the same as Mormons JW's and anyone else not bearing mother *expletive deleted* thin mints.

If JWs start bearing Thin Mints, you are hosed. :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2012, 05:39:41 PM »
If JWs start bearing Thin Mints, you are hosed. :rofl:

For a lifetime supply of those, I will gladly give up blood transfusions.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2012, 05:43:18 PM »
I highly resent anyone telling me what is or isn't "out there"  :mad:

Lighten up, Francis.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »
I don't want any GS cookies, either  :P

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »
Organized atheism is a religion in itself.
And as long as they stay the *expletive deleted* off my lawn I don't care. Door to door atheists get yelled at just the same as Mormons JW's and anyone else not bearing mother *expletive deleted* thin mints.

THANK YOU! It's a pretty obviously true statement, but it's amazing how often folks get pissy when you point it out.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
THANK YOU! It's a pretty obviously true statement, but it's amazing how often folks get pissy when you point it out.

I'm an atheist and atheists piss me off.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »
I have a lovely Mormon family next to me.

In a few weeks, I'll have another Mormon family living in the townhouse on the otherside.

I'm the Methodist meat in a Mormon sammich.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
I have a lovely Mormon family next to me.

In a few weeks, I'll have another Mormon family living in the townhouse on the otherside.

I'm the Methodist meat in a Mormon sammich.

sammich. :police:  What is this "internet speak?"  It's sandwich.
S-A-N-D-W-I-C-H. :police:  
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero