Author Topic: Assange holed up in London  (Read 9851 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: Assange holed up in London
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »
John Walker was a traitor and a Soviet spy. We used to execute such filth.

??!?  Soviet spy?  How was he spying from the mountains of Afghanistan, a place so remote he didn't even know 9/11 had happened?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »
Last time I heard anything about Ecuador was those missionaries getting killed back in the 1950s  :P

They do have quite a bit of oil IIRC.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 11:32:30 PM »
??!?  Soviet spy?  How was he spying from the mountains of Afghanistan, a place so remote he didn't even know 9/11 had happened?

No, no.  You are thinking of John Walker Lindh, aka 'the American Taliban'.  We are speaking of the John Walker who was a Navy communications officer who spied for the Soviets from the 60's to the 80's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Anthony_Walker_(spy)

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 11:43:03 PM »
If it is the embassy, that is an act of war.

Assange is loving every moment.

If GB does this, I see a lot of embassies packing up & leaving.....and maybe a few English ambassadors getting change-of-address cards in their futures....

Let's see how the UN handles this one....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 03:56:22 AM »
If I recall correctly, no one directly died as a result of Walker.

I would personally disagree with that statement.

He was feeding the Soviets documents, and more damaging, key lists for encoding machines, during the Viet Nam war. Using information supplied by Walker the Soviets were able to feed info to North Viet Nam, including air strikes, etc. While it has never been proven his info caused the death of US servicemen, I will always believe it did.

bob

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 07:07:50 AM »
Massive - since they've had an independent leader, who doesn't care about drug spraying and supports democracy in south America.  He booted a us military base, offered to let it stay if he could open a base in Miami...long list of troubles.

Oh, so just another latin american idiot.

Just more proof that ignorant savages would rather be ruled brutally and poorly by their own kind than lightly and well governed by folk who look or sound different.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 08:48:22 AM »
If GB does this, I see a lot of embassies packing up & leaving.....and maybe a few English ambassadors getting change-of-address cards in their futures....

Let's see how the UN handles this one....

The Brits better close their embassy in Ecuador before they violate Ecuador's embassy in London - if I were a banana republic leader, you better believe I'd be invading the embassy of any country that violated mine within hours of the foreign incursion. (And my embassy guards would have orders to shoot anyone forcing their way in.)

And considering where Ecuador is, and how far British force projection capabilities have fallen since the Falklands festivities, there really isn't much the Brits could do in response.

Do the Brits really think extraditing Assange to Sweden is worth queering their relations with practically all of South and Central America . . . and a whole lot of other countries who will regard British observation of diplomatic niceties with distrust?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »
Just more proof that ignorant savages would rather be ruled brutally and poorly by their own kind than lightly and well governed by folk who look or sound different.

That comment makes a hell of a lot of assumptions.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »
Maybe he just looked at places like Venezuela, Zimbabwe, South Africa, etc.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

agricola

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »
Do the Brits really think extraditing Assange to Sweden is worth queering their relations with practically all of South and Central America . . . and a whole lot of other countries who will regard British observation of diplomatic niceties with distrust?

You may not have noticed this, but at the moment our relations with South and Central America are not exactly cordial. 

In any case, this OMG THE REDCOATS ARE GOING TO INVADE A SMALL BUILDING BEHIND HARRODS!!!!!!!!!11111one argument comes solely from the Ecuadorians trying desperately to pretend that what they are doing is the principled thing here, rather than actually trying to resolve the situation by pointing out to Assange that he would have been better off actually going to Ecuador before trying to claim asylum.   

But then, of course, this whole affair has been pretty stupid from the start - the allegations against Assange in Sweden are unlikely to result in him being found guilty (though his antics since they came out dont exactly point to his innocence), and the argument that he is more likely to be extradited to your waffle-fond nation from Sweden than he is from our shores is laughable to anyone even remotely familiar with our extradition treaty with the US.  You then have the madness of someone claiming they are fleeing because of journalistic persecution running off to somewhere where journalistic freedom isnt exactly respected.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 10:25:09 AM »

The primary assumption being that I have read a few history books.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 10:36:11 AM »
In any case, this OMG THE REDCOATS ARE GOING TO INVADE A SMALL BUILDING BEHIND HARRODS!!!!!!!!!11111one argument comes solely from the Ecuadorians trying desperately to pretend that what they are doing is the principled thing here, rather than actually trying to resolve the situation by pointing out to Assange that he would have been better off actually going to Ecuador before trying to claim asylum.
Why would the redcoats even consider violating Ecuador's embassy over Assange when they wouldn't do the same to Libya's embassy over Yvonne Fletcher?

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than we know . . . 

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 10:46:10 AM »
One other thing to consider.....Argentina has started making waves about reacquiring the Maldives/Faulklands again. If this plays out badly, Argentina may make their move....with Ecuador (& maybe even Venezuela) as allies. And GB doesn't have the military punch they once did, esp. being tied up in our WOT.

This could get bad quick....

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »
Why would the redcoats even consider violating Ecuador's embassy over Assange when they wouldn't do the same to Libya's embassy over Yvonne Fletcher?

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than we know . . .  

The person who shot WPC Fletcher had (apparently) full diplomatic immunity, Assange doesnt.  In any case there was a siege of that embassy for more than a week, the whole lot were kicked out after they refused to revoke the killer's immunity, and the law was changed (the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987) to allow the Government to use force should something like that ever happen again.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 11:30:39 AM »
The primary assumption being that I have read a few history books.

Well then you would know that US influence in Central and South America during the 20th century has often led to the debasement of civil society and the democratic process, people remaining ignorant savages under the poor rule of a brutal local American-sponsored dictator/oligarchy. Hey, that kind of reminds me of the Middle East!

My point being that there is a lot more complexity to the cynical distrust of US foreign meddling than random "savagery and ignorance".

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:45:44 AM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 12:08:45 PM »
The person who shot WPC Fletcher had (apparently) full diplomatic immunity, Assange doesnt.  In any case there was a siege of that embassy for more than a week, the whole lot were kicked out after they refused to revoke the killer's immunity, and the law was changed (the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987) to allow the Government to use force should something like that ever happen again.

They can pass a law if that makes them feel better, but it is still illegal under the 1961 Vienna Convention treaty.
"It's good, though..."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »
Well then you would know that US influence in Central and South America during the 20th century has often led to the debasement of civil society and the democratic process, people remaining ignorant savages under the poor rule of a brutal local American-sponsored dictator/oligarchy. Hey, that kind of reminds me of the Middle East!

My point being that there is a lot more complexity to the cynical distrust of US foreign meddling than random "savagery and ignorance".

We hardly "debased" their society.  We did throw in with a lot political cacafuegos who would have thrown in with the Soviets had it not been for us.
I suppose you think they'd have been better off had they done that?  :O
The fact they felt they had to "throw in" with anyone reflects their weaknesses more than any accusations of any "debasement" to their society.  

Circa 1970 I had the opportunity to visit Venezuela.  I did not find anybody there to be "debased" or "savage" or even ignorant.   We became good friends with a gentlman there who drove a cab for a living ...before we left he invited us to his house to meet his family.  It would be nice to think a cabdriver in America could make enough $ to buy a house like that, plus he had enough books in his study to make a nice library, had he so desired.
Ignorant?  No way.  
He remained a good family friend for many years until his very untimely death from natural causes.

I have to wonder what life in Venezuela is like now, under Hugo Chavez ..... ???  Not so good, I would think.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »
The Brits better close their embassy in Ecuador before they violate Ecuador's embassy in London - if I were a banana republic leader, you better believe I'd be invading the embassy of any country that violated mine within hours of the foreign incursion. (And my embassy guards would have orders to shoot anyone forcing their way in.)

And considering where Ecuador is, and how far British force projection capabilities have fallen since the Falklands festivities, there really isn't much the Brits could do in response.

Two concepts of justice.  The Anglosphere is coming from a whole different place.  At some point a line must be drawn, no?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

They didn't need Uncle Sam to debase their society.  They have been doing a fine job for hundreds of years with their own hands.  It is their supreme accomplishment and we ought not take that away from them by denying their ability to act.

Do you really think throwing a little money at any particular country so that its thug leader preferred us to any one of other rivals had a significant effect on their societies?  Given that most non-US aligned latin countries are also unlovely pits, US $$, involvement, and alignment might not be the causal agent.  Perhaps the cause of their being pits is not who waved money under their dictators' noses, but their own culture?

FTR, earlier statement...
...is near universal and not confined to latin america.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »

If we really wanted to debase S. American society, we'd legalize/decriminalize drugs.  The dominoes falling in their economies from where all the cartel money goes would be entertaining to say the least...

I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 01:20:22 PM »
If we really wanted to debase S. American society, we'd legalize/decriminalize drugs.  The dominoes falling in their economies from where all the cartel money goes would be entertaining to say the least...

That is one of the most evil suggestions I've ever heard.  >:D [popcorn] [popcorn]       :angel:

;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »
One other thing to consider.....Argentina has started making waves about reacquiring the Maldives/Faulklands again. If this plays out badly, Argentina may make their move....with Ecuador (& maybe even Venezuela) as allies. And GB doesn't have the military punch they once did, esp. being tied up in our WOT.

This could get bad quick....

Yes, for Argentina, and anyone foolish enough to try and help them out of some sense of Pan-Southamericanisim, I guess one could call it.

After the first "war", (I resist the urge to call it a "spanking") the Falklands have been rather well garrisoned. And any lack of flattop force-projection the Royal Navy has suffered since then, will just be made up with 20+ years in missile and sub technology. The poor pilots of the mish-mash of aging A-4's and Mirages won't even see who/what is killing them this time, unlike the first time around they went up against the Harriers.
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure....Argentina & Ecuador aren't as far behind militarily as you think. Add Venezuela's muscle & oil money (supported indirectly by China) and you have a Grade A C*F in the making.....

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
We hardly "debased" their society.  We did throw in with a lot political cacafuegos who would have thrown in with the Soviets had it not been for us.
I suppose you think they'd have been better off had they done that?  :O
The fact they felt they had to "throw in" with anyone reflects their weaknesses more than any accusations of any "debasement" to their society.  

Circa 1970 I had the opportunity to visit Venezuela.  I did not find anybody there to be "debased" or "savage" or even ignorant.   We became good friends with a gentlman there who drove a cab for a living ...before we left he invited us to his house to meet his family.  It would be nice to think a cabdriver in America could make enough $ to buy a house like that, plus he had enough books in his study to make a nice library, had he so desired.
Ignorant?  No way.  
He remained a good family friend for many years until his very untimely death from natural causes.

I have to wonder what life in Venezuela is like now, under Hugo Chavez ..... ???  Not so good, I would think.

Ah benevolent despotism? Look how happy we keep our darky's? It amuses that amongst folk so concerned about their own liberty and infringements upon it so many are so free with the liberty of others. For me but not for thee.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:55:13 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure....Argentina & Ecuador aren't as far behind militarily as you think. Add Venezuela's muscle & oil money (supported indirectly by China) and you have a Grade A C*F in the making.....

Argentina's air force?  =| The four Typhoons that are stationed on the Falklands will likely splash them BVR.

Their surface fleet of destroyers etc. is semi-respectable, I'll give you that, but the Brit subs will just sink them if the risk from Exocets is going to be significant. My money's on the RAF and RN.

They may stick out their pinkies at tea time, but the British military is still REALLY good at killin' people.
I promise not to duck.