Author Topic: Assange holed up in London  (Read 9852 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Assange holed up in London
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »
Ah benevolent despotism? Look how happy we keep our earliest? It amuses that amongst folk so concerned about their own liberty and infringements upon it so many are so free with the liberty of others. For me but not for thee.

"Our earliest??"  What the _____ are you ranting about?   [tinfoil]
"It amuses that folk so concerned...."  Lacks a pronoun. WHO is "amused?" [tinfoil]

Look, I didn't create the world.   I didn't wake up one morning and decide to place an expansionist evil empire on this planet and turn Russia into a sludgepot of communists whose greatest call-to-glory was going to be to spread their vile oppressive philosophy across the planet.   We did what we had to do to defeat it.   War, even COLD WAR is an ugly thing.  But I will defend to my death the concept that we were right to defeat communism, even if we did make a lot of deals with tinpot devils in some squalid corner of the planet.  The Soviets would never have stopped there, they'd have continued on ad infinitum until all was consumed.  
If you feel so bad there's some nasty tinpot dictators remaining, you are free to go take care of them.

Oh wait, I forget, now, we're not supposed to BE the "world's policeforce" we're supposed to keep our evil vile paws off all others because it isn't OUR business to impose "freedom" on a people ....it's OK if their leaders are killing the children, raping the women and turning the poltroonified peasants into a slave workforce.
Because if they wanted their freedom, THEY should rise up with their pitchforks and take out the AK-47 armed jackboots with their assault pitchforks.........
Oh well.  [tinfoil] ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

agricola

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »
Argentina's air force?  =| The four Typhoons that are stationed on the Falklands will likely splash them BVR.

Their surface fleet of destroyers etc. is semi-respectable, I'll give you that, but the Brit subs will just sink them if the risk from Exocets is going to be significant. My money's on the RAF and RN.

They may stick out their pinkies at tea time, but the British military is still REALLY good at killin' people.

Any excuse to post this, the best Newsweek cover of the past millenium:

:D
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2012, 03:13:42 PM »
Good picture.

But that reminds me . . . was it true that the carrier had to shut down its radars when conducting air operations because of the electrical priming of the Harrier's munitions?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »
I happened to be in DC with a bunch of British exchange students shortly after the Falklands War was over.  Every time we went out, they'd get pissed (in the British sense of the word) and start singing.....

"RULE BRITANNIA !!!   BRITANNIA WAIVES THE RULES !!!!......."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
Sigh, the British.

Someone needs to tell them, again, that they do not rule the world.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

agricola

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »
Sigh, the British.

Someone needs to tell them, again, that they do not rule the world.

We do still rule Knightsbridge, though.
"Make peace, you fools"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2012, 07:01:19 PM »

Yes, you do!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2012, 09:52:22 PM »

Yes....but you defend it with dull knives....

http://thedailyeater.com/2010/02/stab-free-safe-kitchen-knives.html

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2012, 03:54:04 AM »
No, no.  You are thinking of John Walker Lindh, aka 'the American Taliban'.  We are speaking of the John Walker who was a Navy communications officer who spied for the Soviets from the 60's to the 80's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Anthony_Walker_(spy)

makes more sense now!

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
How long until the caliphate is established in Londonistan?

http://www.amazon.com/Londonistan-Melanie-Phillips/dp/1594031444
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

agricola

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
How long until the caliphate is established in Londonistan?

http://www.amazon.com/Londonistan-Melanie-Phillips/dp/1594031444

Yes, a religion that forbids alcohol is going to absolutely flourish in a nation that has more pubs per square mile than anywhere else in the world.
"Make peace, you fools"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »
Yes, a religion that forbids alcohol is going to absolutely flourish in a nation that has more pubs per square mile than anywhere else in the world.

I would put Davenport, Iowa, up against any town in the British Isles in the pub-per-square-mile metric.

Of course, towns like Little Rock, Arkansas, bring down the national metric due to not having a decent pub in the whole dang city.  Quite the accomplishment, that.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2012, 02:40:52 PM »
makes more sense now!

We need to insist traitors take on mutually distinct names to prevent getting them confused.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2012, 12:16:37 AM »
I would put Davenport, Iowa, up against any town in the British Isles in the pub-per-square-mile metric.

Just about anyplace you'd care to name in Wisconsin is not impressed with that.
I promise not to duck.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2012, 12:53:28 AM »
>Just about anyplace you'd care to name in Wisconsin is not impressed with that. <

Y'all know what it takes to make a town in Wisconsin?

A gas station, 2 churches, and 4 bars. Population is just a bonus
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2012, 01:20:59 AM »

I thought Arthur agreed to call it a draw ...

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2012, 01:22:52 AM »
Having come from a suburb of Milwaukee, I was amazed when I met my wife (in 1968) at the number of bars on the south side of Milwaukee. In her area, there was literally a bar at almost every single intersection of main streets or cross streets. There were four bars in a 500 foot radius of her house.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Having come from a suburb of Milwaukee, I was amazed when I met my wife (in 1968) at the number of bars on the south side of Milwaukee. In her area, there was literally a bar at almost every single intersection of main streets or cross streets. There were four bars in a 500 foot radius of her house.

there are fifty bars in a square mile around Soho, though in only two of these will the beer be cheap enough to drink without the price of it sobering you up
"Make peace, you fools"

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »
there are fifty bars in a square mile around Soho, though in only two of these will the beer be cheap enough to drink without the price of it sobering you up

What is the general description of "pub" over there? 

In most the midwest towns we write of, they are properly known of as "taverns."  They have alcoholic beverages, but also serve some sort of limited victuals like sandwiches, burgers, etc. and be open from maybe mid-morning until late night.  Some will specialize in a particular chow, like ribs or BBQ.  As such, bringing in accompanied young 'uns during reasonable hours (for kiddos) is not a big deal.  The adult(s) and kid(s) eat a meal and the adult may or may not consume alcohol. 

Many small towns will lack a fast food restaurant, but have a tavern where one can get prepared food in addition to alcohol.  Most/many will consume alcohol while there, but it is not expected/required.

OTOH, in points south, many of the "bars" serve no or little food and bar minors from entry.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »
>Just about anyplace you'd care to name in Wisconsin is not impressed with that. <

Y'all know what it takes to make a town in Wisconsin?

A gas station, 2 churches, and 4 bars. Population is just a bonus

In Montana, a "town" is a bar and a post office.

The post office is optional.

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

agricola

• friend
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »
What is the general description of "pub" over there?  

In most the midwest towns we write of, they are properly known of as "taverns."  They have alcoholic beverages, but also serve some sort of limited victuals like sandwiches, burgers, etc. and be open from maybe mid-morning until late night.  Some will specialize in a particular chow, like ribs or BBQ.  As such, bringing in accompanied young 'uns during reasonable hours (for kiddos) is not a big deal.  The adult(s) and kid(s) eat a meal and the adult may or may not consume alcohol.  

Many small towns will lack a fast food restaurant, but have a tavern where one can get prepared food in addition to alcohol.  Most/many will consume alcohol while there, but it is not expected/required.

OTOH, in points south, many of the "bars" serve no or little food and bar minors from entry.

Once upon a time (and not that long ago) pubs were all about the drinking, you couldnt get food in there unless it was served in a pre-sealed bag that was  attached to a piece of card behind the bar with other snacks.  Loads of them - especially in the countryside - are starting to become more like what you describe as a tavern, with varying menus and degrees of success.  

That said, very few if any of the Soho bars will be like that, they will all be about drink and sins associated with that substance.
"Make peace, you fools"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2012, 12:15:52 PM »
I did a search on Google Maps for "taverns", and found 30 in a 1 square mile area of Milwaukee. That was in the north Water Street area, where all of the fashionable pubs are. If I search for "Milwaukee bars", I find more in that square mile area, so that part of Milwaukee is probably close to Soho. Of course, a lot of these places serve food as a secondary attraction.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »
In Montana, a "town" is a bar and a post office.

The post office is optional.

:lol:
I've driven through parts of rural Iowa and Minnesota where some "towns" are not much more than a wide spot in the road, with competing bars across the street from one another.