Author Topic: We'll keep the light on for ya  (Read 1236 times)

Lee

• friend
We'll keep the light on for ya
« on: August 19, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
You'll need it at Motel 6.  I wonder if these Hotels/Motes are now all owned by Indian Investment groups (Patel Motels).  Seems like every Patel I know owns at least one somewhere.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Media/Slideshow/2012/08/09/The-10-Worst-Hotels-in-America.aspx?index=8

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: We'll keep the light on for ya
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:57:16 AM »
A lot of it depends on the individual location, too. But most of those names I wouldn't stay in if I could avoid it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »
Surprisingly many are franchised and run into the ground.  No excuse for a corporate location to be nasty, though.
I've gone so far as to ask to preview the room before checking in.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 12:54:10 PM »
You'll need it at Motel 6.  I wonder if these Hotels/Motes are now all owned by Indian Investment groups (Patel Motels).  Seems like every Patel I know owns at least one somewhere.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Media/Slideshow/2012/08/09/The-10-Worst-Hotels-in-America.aspx?index=8

A picture of a guy's arm with a red spot on it.  Bedbugs?

(Front page story in the local paper yesterday, local subsidised housing high rise is infested with them.  This is one place where disabled people of various sorts might end up.  Life in America.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
Motel 6 used to be pretty decent in general. Clean, no frills, but a good place to sleep. They've really gone downhill in the last few years. Same with Super 8.

Ramada is pretty iffy these days too.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:52:29 PM »
I usually end up having good luck with red roof inns. But many, many hotels are franchised. Especially the budgety ones. Before I book, even one I've stayed in previously, I research the crap out of. Luckily it usually very easy.

Wife wonders why I always do a bunch of research before booking a room, yet never seems to wonder why we rarely run into a run down crappy place.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »
I always ask to see a room before booking. Been extremely unpleasantly surprised too many times.

I've only stayed in one or two Motel 6's that were anything but terrible.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »
We like Holiday Inns.  Back and forth to Key West for the winter we usually have two nights on the road each way.  Holiday Inn Express won't have a bar/restaurant, but usually one within a couple blocks.  The Holiday Inn Suites or resorts usually have on site bar/restaurants.  The chain has been doing an ongoing upgrade of hotels and the beds are really really comfy with a selection of pillows from hard to soft, flat panel tv's etc.  If you work for the goobermint, you get good discounts.  I've got a state goobermint ID and pay between $65.00 and $80.00 a night.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 05:13:23 PM »
A picture of a guy's arm with a red spot on it.  Bedbugs?

(Front page story in the local paper yesterday, local subsidised housing high rise is infested with them.  This is one place where disabled people of various sorts might end up.  Life in America.)

At the lower right of the picture, you can scroll through the rest of the slides and see more yuckies.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 05:17:10 PM »
I've had good luck with Microtels.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 06:07:56 PM »
Motel 6 in Beatty, Nevada.

Newer design, all room doors open onto central hallways.  Room key card required to enter back exits after dark.

Very compact, nicely appointed, good beds, excellent showers.  Free WiFi and wired Internet since, what, 2001?

If I have to overnight when traversing southern Nevada, that's where I stay.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
We like Holiday Inns.  Back and forth to Key West for the winter we usually have two nights on the road each way.  Holiday Inn Express won't have a bar/restaurant, but usually one within a couple blocks.  The Holiday Inn Suites or resorts usually have on site bar/restaurants.  The chain has been doing an ongoing upgrade of hotels and the beds are really really comfy with a selection of pillows from hard to soft, flat panel tv's etc.  If you work for the goobermint, you get good discounts.  I've got a state goobermint ID and pay between $65.00 and $80.00 a night.

I like holiday inn, Hyatt plaza, and some others...got a screaming deal on a Hyatt plaza room for $65 a night a couple of years ago. Place was competitive in quality and comfort with the Venetian in Vegas...for a fraction of the price. The room even had custom hookups at the desk so you could hook your laptop up with the big tv.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »
I got stranded in a no name Patel hotel during a snowstorm.  When I woke up there was a snowdrift in front of the door (on the inside). I'll give it this much- it wasn't stuffy in there and there were no bugs.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 08:20:19 PM »
Motel 6 Dunmore PA. Totally infested. So I tell Mr Patel at the front desk and he says it was just exterminated. I told him he needed a new exterminator.  [barf]
Avoid cliches like the plague!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »
I got stranded in a no name Patel hotel during a snowstorm.  When I woke up there was a snowdrift in front of the door (on the inside). I'll give it this much- it wasn't stuffy in there and there were no bugs.
I take it that is was cold in the room?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 08:24:28 PM »
I stay at the Motel 6 in Casper, WY when I hunt out there, rooms are clean and the price is right. I like that the doors open to the outside so you don't need to walk past a bunch of people when carrying rifles and game meat.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536