Author Topic: NBC/WSJ poll: Approval of Congress hits bottom  (Read 3239 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
NBC/WSJ poll: Approval of Congress hits bottom
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/21/13396651-nbcwsj-poll-approval-of-congress-hits-bottom?lite

12% of voters surveyed approve of Congress' work
82% of voters surveyed disapprove of Congress' work

36% view the Rep Party as positive
45% view the Rep party negative

42% view the Dem Party as positive
40% view the Dem party as negative
I find the Congressional information interesting.

Note that 1,000 voters were surveyed, so we have the normal extrapolation to the population.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: NBC/WSJ poll: Approval of Congress hits bottom
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »
It can always go lower.  (I learned that in the stock market)
"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »
It can always go lower.  (I learned that in the stock market)

Yup.  If it's > 0, it hasn't hit bottom.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
In the MSM the underlying premise or assumption is that the numbers are low because the house and senate haven't been productive, ie done something.

My "progressive" coworkers and I may both give congress poor marks if polled but for dramatically different reasons.

Many like I may very well be disappointed the '10 elections bore such poor results in policy.

On the good days I feel Obama and the Dems are in for a shellacking this fall. Then I interact with actual humans in the real flesh world and realize we're doomed  :laugh:

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:53:31 PM »
I bet they are still going to keep their jobs.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »
I agree with Ron.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:29:48 AM »
Who are these 12% of people that approve?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 10:27:02 AM »
Who are these 12% of people that approve?
Congressional staffers and the ones who are happy with their current welfare benefits, Federal pensions, or phoney baloney Federal jobs.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 10:53:28 AM »
They don't like Congress, but they love The System.  Is Obama something other than a product of Congress?  Maybe I missed something there. 

Too many Americans would, if they had the chance, behave no differently than the Congresscritters they contemn.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »
They don't like Congress, but they love The System.  Is Obama something other than a product of Congress?  Maybe I missed something there. 

Too many Americans would, if they had the chance, behave no differently than the Congresscritters they contemn.

I would vote NO on everything except the occasional repeal of a previous law, and spend the rest of my time on vacation  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 11:40:48 AM »
Congressional staffers and the ones who are happy with their current welfare benefits, Federal pensions, or phoney baloney Federal jobs.
I forget.  12% is probably Govt employees and their families.  That may even be low.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
A Congressman represents his district... but the views of people in his district are different from views elsewhere.

It's technically possible to have a man who lives in, say, a very left-wing district in MA, approves greatly of his Democrat Congressman - whom he voted for - and a Texan who approves greatly of his conservative Republican Congressman - and both of them disapprove of the activities of Congress as a whole. Yet come election day, both of them will vote to re-elect their respective incumbent.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 02:34:24 PM »
A Congressman represents his district... but the views of people in his district are different from views elsewhere.

It's technically possible to have a man who lives in, say, a very left-wing district in MA, approves greatly of his Democrat Congressman - whom he voted for - and a Texan who approves greatly of his conservative Republican Congressman - and both of them disapprove of the activities of Congress as a whole. Yet come election day, both of them will vote to re-elect their respective incumbent.
Yep. I doubt that many of Ron Paul's most enthusiastic supporters - those in his district - have much approval of congress, even though the guy they love keeps getting elected to the House.

And . . . a person who holds his nose and votes against the candidate he thinks is worse (as opposed to voting for someone he really likes, since there's nobody like that on the ballot) is unlikely to be happy with the outcome even when the guy he voted against loses.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
You can vote for somebody you like maybe 60% versus somebody you like maybe 10%
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »
I have been very irratated that B. Obama does not lead.  He puts Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid in charge of leading and hence can simply complain about the gridlock.  The President IS responsible.  I just wish that 90% of black voters understood that.  He thinks about Congress from the bottom up just like he thinks about the economy.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 11:14:39 AM »
Obama does not lead.

The trouble is that he is leading the wrong direction.  =(

Not that LOTE* is much better.  ;/

* Lessor Of Two Evils

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »
You can vote for somebody you like maybe 60% versus somebody you like maybe 10%
???  Are you sure you meant to say this?  :-X
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 12:53:08 PM »
You can't say it has hit bottom until you see strange fruit hanging on Capitol Hill.

But considering the LOTE* paradigm of thought dominating the electorate's minds, I don't see that happening ever...never ever.

Ah, good ol' LOTE... This time it will save the Republic!

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »
You can't say it has hit bottom until you see strange fruit hanging on Capitol Hill.

Not sure what you mean by that phrase.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »
Not sure what you mean by that phrase.

"Strange fruit hanging from trees" it's an allusion to lynched bodies (from a 1930s song)...

I meant that as low as their approval is now, it can most likely go lower. I'd wait till I see angry mobs gathering around Congress with violent retribution in mind before declaring it has hit bottom.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »
I forget.  12% is probably Govt employees and their families.  That may even be low.

I know plenty of Govvies who are not happy at all
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »

* Raises hand.

But don't let me stand in the way of your broad brush.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 08:49:48 PM »
We have plenty of "leadership" in this country.  The problem is that leadership does not inhere in the people we elect or, for that matter, the people we know.  We didn't get to the manifest problesm of 2012 without plenty of people actively and effectively steering this course.  The myth is that we have representative government.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.