Author Topic: Lennon's Killer Denied Parole  (Read 1724 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Lennon's Killer Denied Parole
« on: August 23, 2012, 10:50:01 AM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=159913644&ft=1&f=

The former security guard from Hawaii said that his motivation was instant notoriety but that he later realized he made a horrible decision for selfish reasons.

"I felt that by killing John Lennon I would become somebody and instead of that I became a murderer and murderers are not somebodies," Chapman told the board two years ago.

He murdered John Lennon - why would this idiot believe that anyone will ever let him out on parole?

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Lennon's Killer Denied Parole
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
He murdered John Lennon - why would this idiot believe that anyone will ever let him out on parole?

That's a good question. In the end, all he did was murder another human being, something that happens every day. Some of the murderers go to jail, some don't. In the end, many of them get paroled, so why should this guy be any different just because he killed a person some people thought was important. Not only should he be eligible for parole, who he killed should not even come into play, in an ideal justice system. It should be decided on his behavior in jail, the liklehood of reoffending, and being able to become a productive member of society, among other conditions set by the individual parole board or state.

bob

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:22:38 AM »
He is safer in prison, somebody else looking for fame will wack him within days of him being released.
If that does ever happen I'll be sending the wacker a thank you card.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=159913644&ft=1&f=

Because he is truely sorry.  Sorry for/about what is not clear.  And repentance is nealy 99% of what parole boards want to hear.  The other 1% is where you plan to live (not their city is best) and what kind of job you are going to get (having something lined up in case you do make parole seems to impress them).

The best parole risks are those who murdered their spouse - it's rare they will kill that person again.  (Yes, I have heard a Board member say so. :facepalm:)

It used to be - long, long ago - that someone who "found" religion had a better chance than if they had not been "saved" - but now that we know where religion has been all along and that nobody is redeeming Green Stamps any more, it does not seem to make a bit of difference either way.  The same goes for "being in recovery" from drugs or booze - once Betty Ford went there it was all downhill for prison inmates.

On a personal note, I think Chapman would stand a better chance if he had also killed Yoko.  There are certain acts that just scream "civic duty".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:41:08 AM »
On a personal note, I think Chapman would stand a better chance if he had also killed Yoko.

The noises Yoko made were enough to make most people resort to violence. At least Lennon could sing.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:47:21 AM »
Honestly, I think any murderer deserves the death penalty.

Second preference, since we are "too enlightened" for that, they ought to serve life without parole.

So, I think he being denied parole is justice.

However, I find it interesting that because he shot someone that was "famous" he is apparently treated differently than if he shot some not famous.

Equal justice before the law. Unless, of course, you're famous. Some animals are more equal than others.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 02:25:48 PM »
The problem isn't with Chapman being denied parole; the problem is with too many other murderers being granted parole.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »
Yep. Willfully taking the life of another (without justification) deserves either death or life in prison. No parole. Whether you killed John Lennon or John Doe.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 04:34:14 PM »
When any one of the Manson killers get out, then Chapman can begin to salivate.

Unfortunately for Chapman, this would require Hell to freeze over first.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 05:48:04 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »
Nope - she was not one of the Tate / LaBianca killers. All of them remain incarcerated.

Susan Adkins petitioned a release a couple of years ago, as she had brain cancer.

She died in prison.

I am not cold at all.  =D

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
Consider this....had Chapman not killed Lennon, then we may now be subjected to a Beatles reunion tour that would rival the geratric antics of the Rolling Stones & Boston......

....maybe he deserves a little mercy....release him into the custody of Ringo Starr....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
Consider this....had Chapman not killed Lennon, then we may now be subjected to a Beatles reunion tour that would rival the geratric antics of the Rolling Stones & Boston......

....maybe he deserves a little mercy....release him into the custody of Ringo Starr....

I saw Boston with Kansas earlier this month. Kansas was great. Boston sucked badly.

The only original Boston member is Tom Scholtz - they butchered More Than A Feeling very badly.

Luckily, the tickets were only $30.

I had seen Boston years ago, right after their original album was released.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »
I had seen Boston years decades ago, right after their original album was released.

ftfy old timer
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 07:52:39 PM »
Parole?  Imagine....that.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 07:56:40 PM »
Consider Imagine this....had Chapman not killed Lennon, then we may now be subjected to a Beatles reunion tour that would rival the geratric antics of the Rolling Stones & Boston......

Fixed it for you  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 01:03:41 AM »
The noises Yoko made were enough to make most people resort to violence. At least Lennon could sing.

Speaking of Lennon/Ono guess who briefly appeared on TV a few weeks ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzZ_Fix5K6I
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:44 PM »
How's the old joke go.... 3 feet to the left plus a high cap and Chapman would've been a national hero.  >:D

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »
That's a good question. In the end, all he did was murder another human being, something that happens every day. Some of the murderers go to jail, some don't. In the end, many of them get paroled, so why should this guy be any different just because he killed a person some people thought was important. Not only should he be eligible for parole, who he killed should not even come into play, in an ideal justice system. It should be decided on his behavior in jail, the liklehood of reoffending, and being able to become a productive member of society, among other conditions set by the individual parole board or state.

bob

unfortunatly for him,  when you murder someone on the worlds stage, the whole world remembers.  i wonder if he chose lennon specifically for the noteriety?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »

bob

This
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »
Spot.On.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 10:45:42 PM »

"Whine lyrically" would be more accurate....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 10:47:50 PM »
"Whine lyrically" would be more accurate....

Who is talking about her singing? >:D

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »
Who is talking about her singing? >:D

I was talking about his....

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »

bob

I used to be of the "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" school. I may be getting soft in my old age, but with all the DNA evidence popping up over the last few years exonerating people, I've shifted my views a bit.

If someone convicted a heinous murder and there are numerous credible witnesses, or absolute concrete evidence, or the murderer confesses, it's off with his (or her) head. If it's circumstantial evidence and hokey witnesses, it should be "X" years to life (if the person isn't exonerated during the trial), in case someone lied or made a mistake. I know there are a lot of in-between areas, but I lean more and more towards the, "better a hundred guilty men go free than one innocent man be wrongly punished" school of thought.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."