Author Topic: I need a new wallet  (Read 10972 times)

cosine

• Administrator
I need a new wallet
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »
Any suggestions? I prefer trifolds over bifolds, but that's about it as far as requirements go. Any recommendations for something that wears better than your standard department store $10 leather wallet?
Andy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: I need a new wallet
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:52 AM »
Any suggestions? I prefer trifolds over bifolds, but that's about it as far as requirements go. Any recommendations for something that wears better than your standard department store $10 leather wallet?

Ostrich, alligator/crocodile, shark and stingray wear like iron.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »

Sounds pricey though. I'm hoping to find something of reasonable quality for $40-$50.
Andy

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »
Any recommendations for something that wears better than your standard department store $10 leather wallet?

ditto.

Point me to a reliable source too, por favor.  Everything from the stuffmarts is junk.

BTW, someone at Illinoiscarry pointed out a source that looked good.  Wallets for ~$50.  I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/

http://www.colonellittleton.com/shop/wallets-money-clips.html

(I'm in the market too.  My current wallet is at least 20 years old, an old biker's wallet that's pretty ragged.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:50:00 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:53:06 AM »

I use a credit card/money clip- limits the amount of crap I can carry.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 11:07:18 AM »
I use a credit card/money clip- limits the amount of crap I can carry.

I wish it were that easy. I need a lot of card slots for what I carry everyday... driver's license, CCL, credit card 1, credit card 2, student ID, Sam's Club membership card, insurance card, insurance agent's business card, library card 1, library card 2, Qdoba rewards card, coffee shop punch card, range punch card, amateur radio license... and a few bucks. If I could trim it down I would, but it all gets used regularly.  :facepalm:
Andy

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 11:19:04 AM »
Whenever I need a new wallet, I plan to get one of these. http://www.raggededgeproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »

Given that we live in the present, I'd suggest looking for one of those stainless steel mesh or other RFID-resistent materials that will shield your credit cards from scanning.

Such as: http://www.idstronghold.com/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
I bought a bi-fold leather wallet at a farmer's market in Portland, OR during my sophomore year of college (1998).

I still have it today, in great shape.  That's one tough wallet.

Try a local flea market or farmer's market.  See who's making what.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »
ditto.

Point me to a reliable source too, por favor.  Everything from the stuffmarts is junk.

BTW, someone at Illinoiscarry pointed out a source that looked good.  Wallets for ~$50.  I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/

http://www.colonellittleton.com/shop/wallets-money-clips.html

(I'm in the market too.  My current wallet is at least 20 years old, an old biker's wallet that's pretty ragged.)

I have a Saddleback Leather wallet that my daughter gave me about 2 years ago.  They are just about indestructible, and they look better as they wear.  The only problem is they are really thick, even when empty.  They kind of squish down after a while, but a drivers license, insurance cards, couple of credit cards, and a half dozen bills and you're getting in George Costanza wallet territory already.
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 12:51:06 PM »
I wish it were that easy. I need a lot of card slots for what I carry everyday... driver's license, CCL, credit card 1, credit card 2, student ID, Sam's Club membership card, insurance card, insurance agent's business card, library card 1, library card 2, Qdoba rewards card, coffee shop punch card, range punch card, amateur radio license... and a few bucks. If I could trim it down I would, but it all gets used regularly.

I just looked at mine: Cabela's card, ATM card, Health Ins card, Qdoba card, DL, CCW, Costco card and a Lowes gift card (probably the only extraneous card in the bunch).

I keep my library card with my Kindle.
My Range membership card is in my shooting bag.
My car insurance, coffee cards, etc are in the visor pockets of my car.
Pretty much everything else is kept in my sock drawer at home with a rubber band holding it together.  :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 12:51:36 PM »
Whenever I need a new wallet, I plan to get one of these. http://www.raggededgeproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

Glancing over the selection, I like the concept. Think I'll have a go at making my own. The kevlar aramid backpack is an interesting idea. Thinking kevlar/nomex material, plus a resin. Carbon fiber struts/frame maybe?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 03:39:41 PM »
Get yourself a man purse. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 03:56:23 PM »
Glancing over the selection, I like the concept. Think I'll have a go at making my own. The kevlar aramid backpack is an interesting idea. Thinking kevlar/nomex material, plus a resin. Carbon fiber struts/frame maybe?

Let me know how it turns out and if you want to sell another if it goes well.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »
If you have a smart phone there is a program that lets you put your rewards cards in it and they just scan your phones screen.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
My biggest wallet problem is that dyed-leather wallets tend to transfer their dye to my cards. I need to replace this one with one that won't do that.

If you have a smart phone there is a program that lets you put your rewards cards in it and they just scan your phones screen.

Make sure your store has scanners that can scan a phone screen before you toss your cards. Most places (around here) just have the good ol' laser scanners and those can't scan your phone's screen. I'm looking forward to being able to do this eventually, though, once the local stores get the right hardware for it.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:48:00 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 04:38:41 PM »
Get yourself a man purse. :P

That's a European Shoulder bag;)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2012, 05:09:56 PM »
Too early to comment on durability (I've only had it a couple of months so far), but I recently needed to replace a department-store trifold which was WAY too thick in my back pocket, and went here: http://www.bigskinny.net/ I ended up getting the Leather Taxicat in black (http://www.bigskinny.net/wallet-leather-taxicat.html), and have found it much easier to deal with than the big-ol' wallet I'd been using previously. It's small enough that it actually falls over in my pocket and lies SIDEWAYS, with the long axis across the width of my pocket. Got 20+ cards in there, a fair amount of emergency cash (I keep my walking-around money in my front pocket), driver's license, carry permit, insurance card, etc. Seems to be holding up pretty well so far, though as I said it's only been a couple of months. I'd probably get a slightly-larger rectangular model if I had it to do over, but it'd be from the same company - I'm pleased with it so far.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »
Some guys shows up at gun shows down here with $10 leather wallets which I am sure are made by slave labor in some foreign land.  They have been plenty durable for me.  They are the same or more durable than any of the more expensive wallents I have bought at department stores.  I think I still have a spare at home I haven't used yet.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »
Here's what I did to get away from a Costanza wallet: I got two of those slim front pocket wallets. I keep all my work IDs and credit cards and stuff in one, and my personal cards and money in the other. Creates two slim packages and is an easy way to dump my work stuff when I'm not at work and just carry one slim wallet. Also way easier on my back.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2012, 06:22:22 PM »
I used to try a variety of wallets, and went through a typical $20 wallet every 1-2 years, but then 10 years ago I splurged and bought a coach one.  It still looks brand new, and is warranteed for life.  So in some cases, you get hpwhat you pay for.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2012, 06:26:00 PM »
I bought a nice leather wallet from Wilson's when they had their holiday store open, about 10 years ago. It has been washed once, and is still great looking, hardly any wear on it. Like birdman said, sometimes you do get what you pay for, or not pay for, what ever the case may be.

bob

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 06:53:28 PM »
http://www.flipsidewallet.com/

Does everything I need a wallet to do....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.