Author Topic: Since we have to hear about white guys going on shooting sprees every day...  (Read 5860 times)

brimic

• friends
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57500026-504083/19-people-wounded-in-chicago-shooting-attacks-overnight-including-13-within-30-minutes-police-say/

(CBS) CHICAGO - Police said 19 people were injured in shootings across the South and West sides of Chicago overnight, 13 of whom were shot within a 30 minute period around 9 p.m., CBS Chicago reports.

From what little I've been hearing filtering in, most of the shootings have to do with mexican drug gangs.
I wonder why we can't hear 24/7 drama on the news about what's going on in Obama's utopian city?

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57499523/mexican-drug-cartels-fight-turf-battles-in-chicago/
From yesterday's news:
August 23, 2012 7:19 PM PrintText

(CBS News) CHICAGO - Gun violence is out of control in Chicago. Just last night, there were eight shootings, two of them deadly.

That pushes the total so far in 2012 to 351 shooting deaths -- up 30 percent from last year. Drug gangs are a big reason

As it stands now, at least three major Mexican cartels are battling over control of billions of dollars of marijuana, cocaine and -- increasingly -- heroin in this city. That includes the ultra-violent Zetas and the powerful Sinaloa cartel, run by its shadowy leader Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.

I wonder if any of these gangs were the ones armed by Fast and Furious?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Cause it lacks "ZOMG GUNS BAD!!!!!" factor.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Maybe it's not the color of the shooter, but the color of the victims. The media doesn't think dead non-whites in the ghetto will sell. A sudden rash of killing on the right side of the tracks is more spectacular.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

slingshot

• friend
You mean like in front of the Empire State Building in the middle of Bloomberg's utopia?
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Perd Hapley

• friend
Yeah, like that.

Lee

• friend
Not only color of victim, but career choice of many victims. There's more than a little difference between innocent people getting shot at a movie, a mall, at work then a crip being shot by a blood, or semenlima, or whatever.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Maybe it's not the color of the shooter, but the color of the victims. The media doesn't think dead non-whites in the ghetto will sell. A sudden rash of killing on the right side of the tracks is more spectacular.

I don't know.  There are plenty of white victims that don't make it into the MSM, so it probably has more to do with something else.  Maybe gang related shootings and drive bys are just seen as too 1980's or 90's?
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

grampster

• friend
Chicago's violence is not much reported because to do so would go against the narrative of the gun grabbers and corrupt politicians in Chicago.  The fact that they've taken away the rights of law abiding citizens with draconian gun laws goes against the notion that by disarming everyone, it creates a safe utopia. 

The exact opposite is true.  Historically, nearly every law that has been overemphasized and is of an extra controlling nature, that attempts to inhibit the natural state and liberty of law abiding people, has failed.

As Michael Savage says:  "Liberalism is a mental disease."  If he is wrong about everything else he says, he is right about that.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

longeyes

• friend
Guns are the product of human reason, the use of guns for criminal purposes is not.  Nothing in the Bill of Rights can be separated from the values of the Enlightenment, predicated on a God and Nature that gave Man Reason along with Freedom.

What we see in Chicago is a Hobbesian "state of nature," a war of all against all, and, yes, the State has a heavy hand there indeed.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

slingshot

• friend
Murder and gang violence seems to be common place in portions of Chicago.  It doesn't get reported much anymore since it is so ho hum nationally.  I don't care if the gang shoot each other up.  I do care about the innocent bystanders.  In the case of the Empire State Building shooting, there were 9 wounded by police.  Don't they know that they are responsible for where their bullets go?
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Perd Hapley

• friend
Aside from police, only a few, well-connected New Yorkers are allowed to carry guns. So if the cops don't shoot people, who's going to do it?

Didn't think about that, did you? 

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
thousands of new yorkers have permits
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
thousands of new yorkers have permits

An tiny fraction of New Yorkers have permits.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

• friends
A November 2006 story in the New York Post reported the following:
"...The Post reported in March that among those with permits to carry concealed weapons in the city are cosmetics heir Ronald Lauder, Donald Trump and Seagrams scion Edgar Bronfman Sr.

Also allowed to pack heat are actors Robert De Niro and Harvey Keitel; radio personalities Howard Stern and Don Imus; and state Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno, who doesn't live in the city, but has an office here.

The Post also re ported in March that the number of pistol permits in the city has declined, dropping to 38,544 this year, from 41,173 in 2003.

Last year, 81 percent of those who applied were granted a permit to carry a concealed gun
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

dogmush

• friend
So less then one half of one percent of the city has ccw. I think that counts as "a tiny fraction"

I'd also bet that the high approval rate comes from a very, very restrictive application process. See the Emily Miller series on getting a DC permit.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Population of New York City metro area: 18,897,109

Pistol permits in circulation: 38,544

Percentage of population granted permission to exercise their right to the most effective means of self-defense: 0.2%

• friends
Population of New York City metro area: 18,897,109

Pistol permits in circulation: 38,544

Percentage of population granted permission to exercise their right to the most effective means of self-defense: 0.2%

is the new plank in the libertarian party to require folks to be armed?   81 %  of those that try get it  you don't ask for one they don't send it

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
is the new plank in the libertarian party to require folks to be armed?   81 %  of those that try get it  you don't ask for one they don't send it

Oh God, here we go again.

We get it already, you like being an unarmed serf, crushed under the jackboot of the police state. That's fine, just don't presume to drag us under that heel with you. If you're really not feeling oppressed enough England is that-a-way. *Points east*

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
What are the requirements in NYC for A permit?

I bet you it isn't shall issue

Might limit the applicants somewhat
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

dogmush

• friend
No one mentioned requireing anything.

However in contrast FL has 19 mil people and just shy of 956,000 permits. So 5% or so of the population. Thats a huge difference from NYC. I'm sure that there are a variety of reasons but the fact that NYC has a universally known stringent permit proccess is very likely part of it.

Also, I submit that that 81% rate is a product of that notoriously difficult process. Folks don't bother to apply unless they already know the will get one.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Quick google search says that the local officials have full discretion, its a may issue state and in NYC money and connections are required

In other words, statist utopia
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

dogmush

• friend
Did my own googling. It turns out that that 38,000 number isn't for ccw's. It's the total number of all pistol possesion permits in NYC. You need the permit to even posess a pistol in your house.

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/newsday.html

As of 2002, apparantly, there were about 3000 carry permits in the city. And that number was trending down.

• friends
What are the requirements in NYC for A permit?

I bet you it isn't shall issue

Might limit the applicants somewhat
  apparently only 19% of them  i wonder what the fail rate is other places.  and what the reasons for rejection are

dogmush

• friend
  apparently only 19% of them  i wonder what the fail rate is other places.  and what the reasons for rejection are
Again, not the numbers for carry permits.