Author Topic: Since we have to hear about white guys going on shooting sprees every day...  (Read 5861 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
yea i see they boot 60% of carry apps
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
However in contrast FL has 19 mil people and just shy of 956,000 permits. So 5% or so of the population. Thats a huge difference from NYC. I'm sure that there are a variety of reasons but the fact that NYC has a universally known stringent permit proccess is very likely part of it.

I agree there are a lot of reasons. I wouldn't want to compare a major city to a whole state, especially with the cultural differences between the northeast and the southeast. But I did a comparison of NYC to a large Midwestern city, just for kicks.

3000 carry permits in New York works out to about .16% of the population, compared to St. Louis, which has 21,099 permits for a much smaller population of 1,318,248, or 1.6%. Or 1.1%, if you count just the city limits of St. Louis. Including both St. Louis City and St. Louis County (two separate counties) is probably a more realistic comparison, though. Either way, that's a mighty small percentage for NYC.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
3000 carry permits in New York works out to about .16% of the population, compared to St. Louis, which has 21,099 permits for a much smaller population of 1,318,248, or 1.6%. Or 1.1%, if you count just the city limits of St. Louis. Including both St. Louis City and St. Louis County (two separate counties) is probably a more realistic comparison, though. Either way, that's a mighty small percentage for NYC.

Move the decimal another place to the left.

18,897,109 / 3,000 = 0.016%

(NYC metro area population, since we're also going with St. Louis City and County.)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Ah, yes, thank you.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife