Author Topic: What is wrong with this picture?  (Read 2992 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
What is wrong with this picture?
« on: August 29, 2012, 12:39:14 AM »
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: What is wrong with this picture?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:51:55 AM »
Nothing to see here. Move along
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 02:26:09 AM »
I see.... So what's the protocol to pass a Marine checkpoint with out getting your vehicle "lit up" on your way to work?

I figure I better start off learning the easy way...
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 05:59:08 AM »
"I think it's always good when you get an opportunity to work on some similar tactics and procedures so that everybody's kind of operating on the same page. That way when you bring teams together from active duty and the  civilian side, it makes the integration a whole lot smoother."

*twitch*  Anyone else remembering the 25% of marines that answered "yes, I would shoot at Americans if ordered"?

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 06:20:35 AM »

*twitch*  Anyone else remembering the 25% of marines that answered "yes, I would shoot at Americans if ordered"?
Oh crap, no!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 08:39:45 AM »
I am not ashamed to admit that stuff like this bothers me far, far more than the potential re-election of Obama. Stuff like this is far more insidious and much more important when it all comes down to the wire.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »

Yeah, I'm remembering that it was a poll given on ONE base, way back in 1995, and that it was in response to a very specific question.  How 'bout we not paint Marines or the military in general with such a broad brush?

"The U.S. government declares a ban on the possession, sale, transportation, and transfer of all non-sporting firearms. A thirty (30) day amnesty period is permitted for these firearms to be turned over to the local authorities. At the end of this period, a number of citizen groups refuse to turn over their firearms. Consider the following statement: I would fire upon U.S. citizens who refuse or resist confiscation of firearms banned by the U.S. government."

"The survey results: 42.3 percent strongly disagreed with this statement; 19.3 percent disagreed; 18.6 percent agreed; 7.6 percent strongly agreed; and 12.0 percent had no opinion. In one of the footnotes appearing in his thesis, Cunningham quotes comments placed by some of the Marines next to their answers to this question: "What about the damn Second Amendment? … I feel this is a first in communism! … Read the book None Dare Call It Conspiracy by Gary Allen." "I would not even consider it. The reason we have guns is so that the people can overthrow the gov’t when or if the people think the gov’t is too powerful." "Freedom to bear arms is our Second Amendment. If you take our Amendments away then you can take this job and stick it where the sun don’t shine! … It is a right to own firearms for defense (2nd Amendment); I would fight for that right!"
Based on the disagreement expressed by 61 percent of the Marines, Cunningham concluded that "a complete unit breakdown would occur in a unit tasked to execute this mission."

http://jpfo.org/articles-assd/29palms-mcmanus.htm

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:07:41 AM by dm1333 »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »
Why don't they start with the Marine Corps teaching the NYPD how to shoot?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »

Uhm. The basic theory of the military, including Marines, is to stop the enemy. This is primarily accomplished through killing them. Basic theory of police is to safeguard the communities, handle felony crimes, etc. Killing is supposed to be a last use priority. Because it is the opposite of their primary focus, which is saving lives and promoting order. Again, yes, both of these are the theories.

Police and the military should be kept very far apart.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »
Don't mind the black [tinfoil] helicopters...

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/19379303/military-helicopters-to-train-over-twin-cities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jep7NhJM070

But seriously, what exactly are they gearing up for? Military operations on US soil are a given now.

News anchor's closing comment:
I think it's pretty cool...

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 05:38:15 PM »
Uhm. The basic theory of the military, including Marines, is to stop the enemy. This is primarily accomplished through killing them. Basic theory of police is to safeguard the communities, handle felony crimes, etc. Killing is supposed to be a last use priority. Because it is the opposite of their primary focus, which is saving lives and promoting order. Again, yes, both of these are the theories.

Agreed....true.....scary.....future reality.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 05:39:59 PM »
Yeah, I'm remembering that it was a poll given on ONE base, way back in 1995, and that it was in response to a very specific question.  How 'bout we not paint Marines or the military in general with such a broad brush?

I'm not painting the marines or military in general... just 25% of them. Do you have reason to believe that sampling would have been different if the survey was conducted at Camp Lejune instead of 29 Palms?

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
I'm not painting the marines or military in general... just 25% of them. Do you have reason to believe that sampling would have been different if the survey was conducted at Camp Lejune instead of 29 Palms?

This is what you said:

Your post implies that 25% of Marines would shoot at Americans if ordered.  In reality 300 Marines at 29 Palms were given this 40 question quiz and about 25% of them said they would shoot at Americans under some pretty specific conditions.  You are painting Marines and the military in general with a broad brush by leaving out the fact that it was only 75 Marines who answered that if ordered to they would shoot at Americans who were a) ordered to turn in all their guns, and b) were given a 30 day grace period and c) they ignored that grace period and that d) this all happened back in 1994 or 95.

I never would have answered the question the way those Marines did and I'm not defending them at all, but by the same token I think your statement is misleading.  There were about 175,000 Marines back then, so in reality about 0.02 % of Marines answered that way.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
What has changed since 1995 that would make Marines less likely to fire on Americans?

That's an honest, no-sarcasm question, as in I would really like to be informed.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
This is what you said:

Your post implies that 25% of Marines would shoot at Americans if ordered.  In reality 300 Marines at 29 Palms were given this 40 question quiz and about 25% of them said they would shoot at Americans under some pretty specific conditions.  You are painting Marines and the military in general with a broad brush by leaving out the fact that it was only 75 Marines who answered that if ordered to they would shoot at Americans who were a) ordered to turn in all their guns, and b) were given a 30 day grace period and c) they ignored that grace period and that d) this all happened back in 1994 or 95.

I never would have answered the question the way those Marines did and I'm not defending them at all, but by the same token I think your statement is misleading.  There were about 175,000 Marines back then, so in reality about 0.02 % of Marines answered that way.

That didn't answer my question, so I shall repeat it.

For what reason should we infer that these 300 marines represent an abnormal sampling of the Corps and that a different sampling at a different base would render a different percentile?

It is intellectually dishonest to postulate that none of the non-tested 174,700 marines at the would shoot Americans under those specific circumstances simply because they were not tested. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
Basic theory of police is to safeguard the communities, handle felony crimes, etc.

Basic theory of police is to take after-the-fact statements and after-the-fact photographs, and to write after-the-fact reports documenting that a possible crime appears to have been committed by person or persons unknown. "Safeguarding the community" is not part of the program, it's just something the sign guys like to paint on patrol cars.

On this I agree whole-heartedly. Posse commitatus and all that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »
What has changed since 1995 that would make Marines less likely to fire on Americans?

That's an honest, no-sarcasm question, as in I would really like to be informed.

I can't speak for any of the people who answered that survey or anybody who is on active duty right now, except for myself.  What I'm objecting to is the implication that 25% of Marines would fire on Americans if ordered to. 

[/b]

The statement kgbsquirrel made was not accurate.  0.02% of Marines said they would do it. 

It wasn't 25% of Marines that answered that way, it was a total of 75 individuals.  Out of a total of about 175,000. 0.02% of the Marine Corps. I could be wrong about the total number of Marines on active duty at the time, feel free to quibble about that.  But the fact remains that about 75 Marines answered the question that way.  If you guys can't wrap your heads around the fact that this small sample doesn't represent the Marine Corps or all of the rest of the military I got nothing for you.  I'm just trying to throw in a few facts into this discussion to counter the statements you have been making. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 08:55:34 PM »
For what reason should we infer that these 300 marines represent an abnormal sampling of the Corps and that a different sampling at a different base would render a different percentile?

It is intellectually dishonest to postulate that none of the non-tested 174,700 marines at the would shoot Americans under those specific circumstances simply because they were not tested. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

You are correct. A sampling of 300 out of a total population of +/- 175,000 is large enough to be statistically significant, especially when the population is fairly uniform. (No pun intended.) IMHO, even 75 Marines saying they would shoot at Americans for defending their Constitutional rights is 75 Marines too many.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 08:59:09 PM »
Hell, 1 is to many.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »
It wasn't 25% of Marines that answered that way, it was a total of 75 individuals.  Out of a total of about 175,000. 0.02% of the Marine Corps. I could be wrong about the total number of Marines on active duty at the time, feel free to quibble about that.  But the fact remains that about 75 Marines answered the question that way.  If you guys can't wrap your heads around the fact that this small sample doesn't represent the Marine Corps or all of the rest of the military I got nothing for you.

But it was not 75 out of 175,000 -- it was 75 out of 300. The make-up of Marine Corps units is basically pretty much the same, so a survey of one unit is broadly representative of the overall Corps.

By your logic, all political polls are invalid because they don't ask every single registered voter in the country who they're going to vote for. That's not how surveys get done. A sampling -- a percentage -- of the overall population is polled. The goal is to have the make-up of the sample group be as representative of the make-up of the overall population as possible. If Gallop surveys 250,000 people on how they're going to vote, and the result is 45% Romney and 46% Obama, plus or minus 3% either way -- do you reject that poll because Gallop didn't call up all 314,262,648 people in the United States?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 09:09:04 PM »
But it was not 75 out of 175,000 -- it was 75 out of 300. The make-up of Marine Corps units is basically pretty much the same, so a survey of one unit is broadly representative of the overall Corps.

By your logic, all political polls are invalid because they don't ask every single registered voter in the country who they're going to vote for. That's not how surveys get done. A sampling -- a percentage -- of the overall population is polled. The goal is to have the make-up of the sample group be as representative of the make-up of the overall population as possible. If Gallop surveys 250,000 people on how they're going to vote, and the result is 45% Romney and 46% Obama, plus or minus 3% either way -- do you reject that poll because Gallop didn't call up all 314,262,648 people in the United States?

Was going to type up something along the same lines as this. By the bye, those "statistically significant" political polls are generally around 1000-1500 people, not a quarter million. Or, roughly 0.00042% of the population. Compared to our common political polls the 29 Palms query was a huge (0.02%) representative sampling.

If it makes you feel better, here: I acknowledge that 75 marines out of a sampling of 300 acknowledged they would shoot Americans who refused to relinquish their firearms after a federally mandated grace period.

Now, based on this sampling of 0.02% of the USMC at the time, I shall infer that roughly one quarter of the USMC is willing to follow unconstitutional orders, and/or shoot American citizens on American soil.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:13:05 PM by kgbsquirrel »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »
Was going to type up something along the same lines as this. By the bye, those "statistically significant" political polls are generally around 1000-1500 people, not a quarter million. Or, roughly 0.00042% of the population. Compared to our common political polls the 29 Palms query was a huge (0.02%) representative sampling.

If it makes you feel better, here: I acknowledge that 75 marines out of a sampling of 300 acknowledged they would shoot Americans who refused to relinquish their firearms after a federally mandated grace period.

Now, based on this sampling of 0.02% of the USMC at the time, I shall infer that roughly one quarter of the USMC is willing to follow unconstitutional orders, and/or shoot American citizens on American soil.

I don't think we have to worry too much about military.  A large percentage of them will be on our side; the unit will collapse into KAOS.  The bigger threat is the huge and ever-growing federal police force -- and whatever local cops choose to join them.
"It's good, though..."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »
You guys are talking about polls conducted by professionals!  I'm talking about a poll made up by a Navy LCDR.  Either of you ever been in the Navy?  I'm not knocking 0-4's as a whole but you get a pretty broad spectrum of performance at that level.  :lol: