Author Topic: Obama throws the Enviro's under the Bus?  (Read 1553 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Obama throws the Enviro's under the Bus?
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »
Haven't had a chance to check to see if this is true (or if it's the usual overpuffery from liberals), but I just an e-mail from the "Center for Biological Diversity" all breathless about how Shell is going to be allowed to drill in the Arctic Ocean off Alaska.

Moments ago the Obama administration threw the doors of the Arctic open to Shell Oil, allowing it to immediately begin to drill for oil in the heart of protected habitat critical to the survival of polar bears.

The administration gave Shell initial approval for controversial and dangerous oil drilling in the Arctic Ocean off Alaska despite the fact that a critical oil-spill containment vessel is still awaiting certification.

This is a monumental mistake that puts human life, wildlife and the environment in terrible danger. The harsh and frozen conditions of the Arctic make drilling risky, and an oil spill would be impossible to clean up.

I wanted to send you the news right away and let you know that the Center for Biological Diversity is redoubling our commitment to save the breathtaking Arctic and its wildlife and keep it from becoming a dirty, deadly industrial zone. We'll take swift action to beat back other oil companies that are already lining up behind Shell, eager to bust into pristine Arctic habitat and pad their profits at the expense of polar bears, walruses and whales.

The Center has kept Shell out of the Arctic since 2007, and today's news hits hard. But our team of scientists, lawyers and advocates are deeply committed to our all-out campaign to protect the Arctic. It will mean a massive effort in the courts, Congress and the media -- and with the American people.

We all know the dangers of drilling for oil in the harsh, remote Arctic: An oil spill will be virtually impossible to clean up with the nearest Coast Guard station 1,000 miles away. The Arctic's wildlife will be left to fend for themselves, struggling to survive against long odds.

Let me be very clear about what's at stake with today's news: Once the Arctic is ruined, there's no going back. Unique animals like polar bears, yellow-billed loons, eiders, walruses, whales and ice seals that have evolved over millions of years to survive in this frozen wilderness -- and nowhere else -- will be condemned to extinction.

We'll be in touch in the days ahead about Shell's drilling operations, the Center's actions and what this means for the Arctic and its wildlife. We can only keep fighting to save the Arctic by counting on you and other members to step up and take action when we need it most. Thank you for staying with us in the fight.

Stay tuned,

Kieran Suckling    
Kierán Suckling
Executive Director
Center for Biological Diversity

P.S. You can read more in our press release

P.P.S. If you have any problems with the link above, please paste this URL into your browser:

http://biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2012/arctic-drilling-08-30-2012.html

There's pictures of cute fuzzy polar bears and Kieran's ugly puss in the letter, just to make it more Disney-esque.

Obama has almost zero chance of winning Alaska....Unless their math ain't coming out so good.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Obama throws the Enviro's under the Bus?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:29:48 PM »
I am glad that I am not named Mr. Suckling.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:13:16 PM »
I am glad that I am not named Mr. Suckling.

Ditto.

And why did he sign his name twice, with different spellings?  Is he worried that his name won't translate?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:10:24 AM »
Center for Biological Diversity??? WTF does that even mean? Dammit, now I'm going to have to go look it up.

Yep, just what I thought:
The Center for Biological Diversity works through science, law and creative media to secure a future for all species, great or small, hovering on the brink of extinction.

I suppose we should be grateful they use the word "species" and not "life forms" or they'd likely try to bring small pox and the plague back.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 08:44:17 AM »
Center for Biological Diversity??? WTF does that even mean? Dammit, now I'm going to have to go look it up.

Yep, just what I thought:
I suppose we should be grateful they use the word "species" and not "life forms" or they'd likely try to bring small pox and the plague back.

MrsSmith, They are the idiots that tried to get the EPA to regulate lead ammo and fishing tackle under the Toxic Substances Act.  NRA smacked them pretty hard and the EPA (surprisingly) interpreted the law correctly. 
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 03:29:03 PM »
Seriously?

Can't we just rope all those types of idiots together and ship them off to Australia or something??
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
Can't we just rope all those types of idiots together and ship them off to Australia or something??

What did Australia ever do to you?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »
Seriously?

What did Australia ever do to you?

We really need a bunch of deserted desert islands to populate with folks like these.
Or maybe Somalia would do.  It does lack a functioning government.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »
We really need a bunch of deserted desert islands to populate with folks like these.
Or maybe Somalia would do.  It does lack a functioning government.

This has potential.  When they start starving and end up joining up with the Somali pirates, we can have a combo hippy/pirate hunting expedition.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »
Seriously?

MrsSmith, yes see here.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »
Seriously?

HahahhanahahanaaaaaAaaaaa now that's funny.....;)
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 09:11:13 PM »
The problem is they for the most part are not idiots.  They are liberals (progressives) who elevate other life equal to and sometimes above human life.  But they are not idiots.  I believe their ideas are a bit skewed to the left, but if you think in terms of gun control...  reasonable gun controls....  these people are not reasonable at all.  The NRA (and most of us) only loose when it gets "reasonable".
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)