Author Topic: Mancrush on David Koch  (Read 7256 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Mancrush on David Koch
« on: September 03, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/80483.html

David Koch thinks that:

Gay marriage should be permitted
We should bring our troops home from the Middle East
The government should consider both defense cuts and tax increases to get our financial house in order

Perhaps I have found my write-in candidate!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dm1333

• friend
Re: Mancrush on David Koch
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 02:01:27 PM »
Isn't he one of those evil Koch brothers whose secret mission has been to bring America down?  I'm pretty sure I read that in Mother Jones.   :O

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 03:39:30 PM »
Sounded good until 'increase taxes'. Increasing the Government's revenue is never the answer, specially when they have more than enough to begin with.

Giving more money to the government is like giving a second serving to an angry toddler trashing food about on his highchair.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »

Giving more money to the government is like giving a second serving to an angry toddler trashing food about on his highchair.
I shall be stealing this.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/80483.html

David Koch thinks that:

Gay marriage should be permitted
We should bring our troops home from the Middle East
The government should consider both defense cuts and tax increases to get our financial house in order

Perhaps I have found my write-in candidate!

voted for him once for vp
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 05:49:25 PM »
Over the last 100 years (basically, income tax history) every $1 of increased revenue due to increased taxes, or increased tax base has been met with close to $1.30 of increased spending.  Therefore, revenue is not the problem, spending is.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
Congress is spending money like a bunch of drunken sailors and you want to give them more money? The hell?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »
Congress is spending money like a bunch of drunken sailors and you want to give them more money? The hell?
That's an insult to drunken sailors everywhere.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:23:26 PM »
did he advocate letting congress spend more?  or that we need to balance what we spend and pay down what we owe?  remember he ran as a libertarian on a real ballot. heck when he ran no one knew who ron paul was
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 06:26:55 PM »
Many reputable economists, although probably not of the political stripe favored by many of the participants of this forum, favor a combination of government cost reduction and revenue increases to solve our economic issues.  The More You Know.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 06:32:43 PM »
Many reputable economists, although probably not of the political stripe favored by many of the participants of this forum, favor a combination of government cost reduction and revenue increases to solve our economic issues.  The More You Know.

Forgive me if I fail to bow to these "reputable economists" that also have advocted the exct same policies that got us into this mess in the first place.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »
Many reputable economists, although probably not of the political stripe favored by many of the participants of this forum, favor a combination of government cost reduction and revenue increases to solve our economic issues.  The More You Know.

And many reputable economists agree that we Are already past the growth maximizing point of marginal tax rates, and are actually close to or even past the revenue maximizing point, so increased revenues are either effectively impossible, or woud result in slower growth. Almost regardless of marginal rates, revenue has been within 2-3% of 19% of GDP, and spending averages around 18-20%.  Obama has raised that spending to 25% and slow economic growth has limited revenue to 18%.  
Spending is the problem (well hove historical averages), not revenue (which is in line with historical averages).

By reputable economists did you mean ONLY those of the Keynesian school?  Because there are plenty of reputable economists that fundamentally disagree with that approach.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
If it was up to me, each dollar of revenue enhancement would be met with at least two dollars of cost reduction, starting with defense, Social Security and Medicare.  I would target the revenue enhancement towards debt reduction and infrastructure improvement.

I do not see this as within the realm of the practical, given the political realities of the time.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »
did he advocate letting congress spend more?  or that we need to balance what we spend and pay down what we owe?  remember he ran as a libertarian on a real ballot. heck when he ran no one knew who ron paul was
I don't think that was the point, I think the point was that kongress spends $1.30 for every $1.00 it gets.  The solution in this situation isn't to give it $2.50, the solution is to give it a nickel.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 07:30:37 PM »
how would that help? except increase the deficit?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 07:35:14 PM »
how would that help? except increase the deficit?

:facepalm:

OK let's give it a bazillion dollars and THEN see how much it spends [tinfoil].

Is there someway to ACTUALLY CUT GOVERNMENT SPENDING? ? ?

Our national debt will reach 16 trillion dollars this week, while the demorats are at the convention.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 07:39:48 PM »
^^^ Yes, there is.  Find a politically-palatable way to get meaningful defense, Social Security and Medicare cuts through Congress.  Figure that out and you have my vote.

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »
oh come on why would we give up the revolutionary noise and think practical

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »
^^^ Yes, there is.  Find a politically-palatable way to get meaningful defense, Social Security and Medicare cuts through Congress.  Figure that out and you have my vote.

Agree -- mostly.
But during a war--and with the Chinese uparming, cutting our military might not be such a terrific idea....wouldn't want this to be our servicemen's standard sidearm, AGAIN. [popcorn]

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »

You are forgetting the other way to cut spending:  Major crisis and there is no more money to spend.  Of course, then the printing presses go to 3 shifts and we move our dollars around in wheel barrows and grocers add another zero to their prices.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 08:41:20 PM »
Agree -- mostly.
But during a war--and with the Chinese uparming, cutting our military might not be such a terrific idea....wouldn't want this to be our servicemen's standard sidearm, AGAIN. [popcorn]

you fight the chinese you can leave the sidearms at home.  the stakes have changed   and they do have what it takes to buy the hand/pot  our biggest asset in that fight is that they haven't figured out how to swim that ocean
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:37:48 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 09:35:32 PM »
If it was up to me, each dollar of revenue enhancement would be met with at least two dollars of cost reduction, starting with defense, Social Security and Medicare.  I would target the revenue enhancement towards debt reduction and infrastructure improvement.

I do not see this as within the realm of the practical, given the political realities of the time.
The problem is the revenue enhancement passes but not the cuts.  If you actually have the political power to make the cuts, many things are possible.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 09:39:07 PM »
The problem is the revenue enhancement passes but not the cuts.  If you actually have the political power to make the cuts, many things are possible.

thats exactly the problem  maybe hitch them together no enhancements till after the cuts have been enacted

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 09:42:50 PM »
Focusing on Defence cuts is a distraction.  Half the budget is social security and welfare and such.  I bet that is higher now versus a few years ago.  Defense funding could be improved but you are not going to solve your budget problems by cutting Defense.  Defence only comes up because that is the only thing most Democrats are willing to cut.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 09:48:05 PM »
thats exactly the problem  maybe hitch them together no enhancements till after the cuts have been enacted
Never gonna work in reality.  Make the cuts first.  That is the hard part.  If you Try to do both, the cuts will get cut.

How many Presidents have made deals only to see the spending cuts never happen?  Isn't that more or less what happened to Bush I?