Author Topic: Egypt and Libya embassy attacks  (Read 46123 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Egypt and Libya embassy attacks
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »
Carthago delenda est.

Civis Americae sum.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2012, 01:23:57 PM »
This war goes back 1400 years.  Deal with it.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »
This war goes back 1400 years.  Deal with it.
Yes, they can deal with it.
We can eat popcorn and watch.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2012, 01:54:39 PM »
"Our" side is claiming Libyan security forces fought against the attackers and carried Stevens' to medical aid.
International reports are saying Libyan security forces pointed out the targets and tht Stevens' body was carried through the streets in triumph.

Guess who I don't trust.

If nothing else we need to enact ROE that include shoot to obliterate/liquify anyone or any group that threatens our people in instances like that. Hell if they still do it like they did 20 years ago the marines probably weren't even issued actual live bullets to put in their evil bang makers.

I find Al Jazeera English more accurate and less overtly biased than CNN or MSNBC.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2012, 02:10:28 PM »
How badly our culture needs "friends."  Sad.

Facebook on the statist plan.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2012, 02:55:13 PM »
It is purely retribution, and BHO does deserve the credit.
You can rationalize that OBL was no more important than a mugger, but I do not share that view.

That. OBL was a military commander of an enemy force. Getting him was quite as important as nabbing, say, a German admiral in 1943.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2012, 02:58:54 PM »
MB, it was a Japanese admiral, Isoroku Yamamoto we sicced the P38's on, not a German.  Just sayin'.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2012, 03:00:56 PM »
MB, it was a Japanese admiral, Isoroku Yamamoto we sicced the P38's on, not a German.  Just sayin'.

I did not know such a thing really occured. I was pulling an analogy out of my hat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2012, 03:01:36 PM »
More seriously speaking, it was a riot.

Countries don't really go to war when their embassies get sacked by rioters.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2012, 03:15:35 PM »
The core of that culture is a riot contained by a thick concrete shell of Law.  Now and then there's a melt-down.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2012, 03:19:07 PM »
More seriously speaking, it was a riot.

Countries don't really go to war when their embassies get sacked by rioters.

Cairo was a riot. Benghazi was a coordinated attack, according to current reports.

ETA: There is also the suggestion that the Benghazi attack was retaliation for an anti-AQ drone strike, unrelated to (or masked by) the video riots.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:25:28 PM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »
Not sure what could have been done for the American Ambassador, since it seems he put most of his faith in the new Libyan state, was not on actual Embassy grounds, merely a consulate which is essentially just an office. And the situation in Libya is still in flux, and it's looking possible that Libyans who'd been loyal to Qaddafi may have infiltrated the "security forces".

As far as the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, a common sense ROE for the Marines of "Shoot whoever comes over the wall" would have sufficed.

I'm thinking that the Muslim Brotherhood, while far from pro-West/U.S., is not to blame, but that in all the uprisings, the seat of the pantsedness (to coin an adjective) that's been going on of late, they've been infiltrated by AQ, or similar groups.

I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2012, 03:23:35 PM »
I did not know such a thing really occured. I was pulling an analogy out of my hat.

The assassination of Yamamoto was one of the critical successes in the operations against Japan. We used crypto intercepts to get his itinerary. Yamamoto was not a moron, unlike the Japanese Army.

Good analogy, actually.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Cairo was a riot. Benghazi was a coordinated attack, according to current reports.

ETA: There is also the suggestion that the Benghazi attack was retaliation for an anti-AQ drone strike, unrelated to (or masked by) the video riots.

Do you think the Libyan 'government', such as it is, is behind this attack?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »

Probably not. Which is why I've only called for wiping the city from the face of the earth, not the whole country.

There should be SERIOUS repercussions for the murder of a US Citizen. Moreso for an Ambassador. For parading either through your streets? No more streets.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »

Not sure. Elements of the security forces on scene may have aided it. No indication (yet) of executive-level participation.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
Probably not. Which is why I've only called for wiping the city from the face of the earth, not the whole country.

There should be SERIOUS repercussions for the murder of a US Citizen. Moreso for an Ambassador. For parading either through your streets? No more streets.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2012, 06:09:41 PM »

I wonder how many

I wonder how many of those people can read those signs in English.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

birdman

• friend
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »
You know, that's something that always bothered me.  English signs in a region where English is at best a second language of a small fraction.  That's called "handed out to show the press" or, "don't bomb us"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »

I must admit that I could not read them in Libyan - or whatever what they speak is called.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »
I haven't heard anything about Marines being on the scene.  I know they guard our embassies, but do they normally guard our consulates?
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2012, 07:10:15 PM »
there are stories on the news sites about the Fleet Antiterrorism Something-or-other team getting sent in
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »
MB:  Is the above pic similar to the Ron Edry "Israel loves Iran" youtube campaign?

Are you familiar with that?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/israel-loves-iran-campaign-gains-force/

(Those of you unfamiliar with it, it is an anarcho-stateless attempt to bypass the State and cause two groups of people to communicate directly and bypass the puppet masters that seem intent on perpetual war.)

I bring this up because I hear that the "R3voLution" is gaining steam in the middle east.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2012, 07:22:49 PM »
Marines in Tripoli at the Embassy, and an additional detachment coming from Spain. State Dept. security contractors at the Consulate in Benghazi with Ambassador Stevens.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »

Hell, give 'em 20 bucks in local currency, a sign and tell them to have a demonstration. They don't need to know what the sign says, it is just a photo-op for the world's media, IMO.

bob