Author Topic: Questions Arise About Anti-Islam Filmmaker  (Read 18030 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Questions Arise About Anti-Islam Filmmaker
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:33:17 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/many-questions-arise-anti-islam-filmmaker-203741932.html

"Nobody is anything but by an active American citizen," Klein told the Atlantic. "They're from Syria, Turkey, Pakistan, there are some that are from Egypt. Some are Copts but the vast majority are evangelical."

In an interview Tuesday with the AP, Klein said the filmmaker is concerned for family members who live in Egypt. Bacile declined to confirm that suggestion. Klein did not return phone messages to the AP on Wednesday.

Klein told the AP that he promised to help Bacile make the movie but warned him that "you're going to be the next Theo van Gogh." Van Gogh was a Dutch filmmaker killed by a Muslim extremist in 2004 after making a film that was perceived as insulting to Islam.

"We went into this knowing this was probably going to happen," Klein said.

The last line of the quote is the corker for me.
What were these clowns thinking?
Knowing the ramifications of what they were doing, and then planning to hide behind US freedom of speech?
Am I missing something here?
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Questions Arise About Anti-Islam Filmmaker
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:45:18 PM »

Knowing the ramifications of what they were doing, and then planning to hide behind US freedom of speech?

I support it.

Not bear-baiting in general, but being able to make a film they feel strongly enough about to risk their own lives to say it.

Good on them.  Never seen the movie or trailer, don't know if it's tripe or valuable.  But if it's that important to them despite the risk, then they should do it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »
What you're missing is that these people are not going to self-censor their own actions in fear of what the screaming beards will do any more than Tom Paine would limit his essays in Common Sense out of fear of what the Crown's actions would be.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »
Jamie B has the right idea, cower in fear before the radicals and go out of your way to not insult them. Make sure you treat them with special consideration not afforded any other political/religious group.

If you are going to make fun of a religion pick on American Evangelicals or something.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »
Well done or poorly done, the truth must out, especially when the "official" viewpoint--Islam is a "religion of peace" and to criticize it is bigoted--comes from fantasyland.  The West has been operating out of intimidation, or in secret complicity, for centuries.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:21:17 PM »
Jamie B has the right idea, cower in fear before the radicals and go out of your way to not insult them. Make sure you treat them with special consideration not afforded any other political/religious group.

If you are going to make fun of a religion pick on American Evangelicals or something.

Oh Snap!   :laugh:

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:54:41 PM »

Well done or poorly done, the truth must out, especially when the "official" viewpoint--Islam is a "religion of peace" and to criticize it is bigoted--comes from fantasyland.  The West has been operating out of intimidation, or in secret complicity, for centuries.

Peace?  Here's something "peaceful" . . .

Devil's in the definitions.  When "peace" really means "submission" you get the above "peaceful" scene.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 09:28:46 PM »
Cue random islam centered explanations - wouldn't be the war or US intervention in their politics that fuels this crap.  No, it's religious!

Belieiving that this is part of a thousand year struggle between religions and not the politics of today (ours and theirs) is beyond absurd.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 09:33:40 PM »

This is not what I said. Stop being a clown.

Nowhere did I suggest that we bow down to any other country or religion.

I do not appreciate your snide remarks.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:41:40 PM »
They were not, at any stage, risking their own lives.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »
You said that people should restrain their behavior or speech to prevent it from inflaming other people who instinctively or freely respond to words with violence. Oddly, I place the fault with the people who can't grasp "sticks & stones" level civility.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »
Oh, I'm pretty sure some (or probably several) Mullahs have issued fatwah's for the heads of the filmmakers.

Yes, DS, you are absolutely correct.  We never should have gone in and helped them develop their oil industry and then paid them for the privilege.  That's why gas is 25¢ a gallon, and a guy in white uniform scrapes the dead bugs off my windshield. 

Next time, we just go in a take it.  Scrooem.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »
The only comments I want our policritters to make in circumstances like this is unequivocal condemnation. The president getting on TV and making clear that our embassy security services have been ordered to shoot to kill in future breaches would help also.

Our government being mealy mouthed and apologetic about some obscure film plus insinuating that these thugs represent the majority of Muslims should be more insulting to Islam than the agitprop film.

I will not let them set the terms of debate or put limitations on liberty under the threat of them committing violence.  

Any group could find a film/movie/song/book etc out there to be outraged or offended at if they look hard enough.

That is never an excuse for murder and mob action. There are no extenuating circumstances.

Focusing on the accuracy or inaccuracy or the impact of a film is not the place to focus.

There is no excuse.

Don't want snide? Don't attempt the moral equivalence gambit and/or appear to be providing moral cover to the thugs.

The film producers didn't make the thugs act like thugs.

Thugs do what thugs do.  

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 10:10:58 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »
Damn, we should have told them back in season 1 that "Jersey Shore" shows pictures of Mohammed.....naked with Snooki.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And I wholeheartedly concur with Ron.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »

Any group could find a film/movie/song/book etc out there to be outraged or offended at if they look hard enough.

That is never an excuse for murder and mob action. There are no extenuating circumstances.

I don't see Mormons trying to kill Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

Or Catholics.

Or Gingers.

Or Goth Kids.

Or Politicians.

... although, they did the "Super Best Friends" episode with Mohamed in it and no one threatened asplodeys.  And they had Mohamed w/ Super Best Friends come back again briefly in a few other episodes, too.  No asplodeys.  Even had him in the title sequence for one season.  Never understood how they escaped all that, despite poking the bear deliberately.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 10:19:51 PM »
Cue random islam centered explanations - wouldn't be the war or US intervention in their politics that fuels this crap.  No, it's religious!

Belieiving that this is part of a thousand year struggle between religions and not the politics of today (ours and theirs) is beyond absurd.

Exactly! That's why the Muslims in Europe have peacefully assimilated and now are just one more European... oh, wait, nevermind.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »
Oh, I'm pretty sure some (or probably several) Mullahs have issued fatwah's for the heads of the filmmakers.

Yes, DS, you are absolutely correct.  We never should have gone in and helped them develop their oil industry and then paid them for the privilege.  That's why gas is 25¢ a gallon, and a guy in white uniform scrapes the dead bugs off my windshield. 

Next time, we just go in a take it.  Scrooem.

Well, I wasn't thinking of oil so much as shipping captives to Ghaddafi to be tortured - there are probably a few anti-Ghaddafi fighters who are still upset that the US helped Ghaddafi catch their comrades and then handed them over to be tortured and killed.

But hey, complicity in torture pales in comparison to religion!
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
Exactly! That's why the Muslims in Europe have peacefully assimilated and now are just one more European... oh, wait, nevermind.

Has an group of people ever assimilated this rapidly?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »

Suddenly I feel a cool draft coming from Hades.

As to censoring the movie? No.
the real problem?  A dozen MSG could have easily prevented these attacks.  Of course, we'd be hearing about a hundred dead protesters.  And that would warm my heart.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »
Add some grenades and, Mother of God, flame-throwers and you have an effective response (not to mention the film at 11 that the media pervs fancy).  I'm with you.

But the time for embassies and consulates in Indian territory may be over.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
I am really smelling a rat with this whole video situation.
Seems that some of the actors involved claim that much of the dialog was dubbed in after production.
They might be in self CYA mode, but this whole thing smells very bad to me.
I am going to let the press and pressure vet this information.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 09:23:54 PM »
And now our government is outing the filmmaker? 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:33 PM »
And now our government is outing the filmmaker?

Duh.  Everything is always someone else's fault.
Bad economy? Bush.
Riots and murder at the embassy? Filmmaker.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »
Yes, you are missing one of those silly 'coexist' bumberstickers on your car.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 11:13:41 PM »
What you're missing is that these people are not going to self-censor their own actions in fear of what the screaming beards will do any more than Tom Paine would limit his essays in Common Sense out of fear of what the Crown's actions would be.

Right on target. I support their actions and right to do so.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.