Author Topic: RECOIL magazine? A new Zumbo?  (Read 5016 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: RECOIL magazine? A new Zumbo?
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »
http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/012611-study-on-importality-of-certain-shotguns.pdf

Sporting Purpose
Determination of whether a firearm is generally accepted for use in sporting purposes is the responsibility of the Attorney General (formerly the Secretary of the Treasury). As in the previous studies, the working group considered the historical context of “sporting purpose” and that Congress originally intended a narrow interpretation of sporting purpose under § 925(d)(3).
While the 1989 and 1998 studies considered all rifles in making their recommendations, these studies first identified firearm features and subsequently identified those activities believed to constitute a legitimate “sporting purpose.” However, in reviewing the previous studies, the working group believes that it is appropriate to first consider the current meaning of “sporting purpose” as this may impact the “sporting” classification of any shotgun or shotgun features. For example, military shotguns, or shotguns with common military features that are unsuitable for traditional shooting sports, may be considered “particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes” if military shooting competitions are considered a generally recognized sporting purpose. Therefore, in determining the contemporary meaning of sporting purposes, the working group examined not only the traditional sports of hunting and organized competitive target shooting, but also made an effort to consider other shooting activities.
In particular, the working group examined participation in and popularity of practical shooting events as governed by formal rules, such as those of the United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) and International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC), to determine whether it was appropriate to consider these events a “sporting purpose” under § 925(d)(3). While the number of members reported for USPSA is similar to the membership for other shotgun shooting organizations,6 the working group ultimately determined that it was not appropriate to use this shotgun study to determine whether practical shooting is “sporting” under § 925(d)(3). A change in ATF’s position on practical shooting has potential implications for rifle and handgun classifications as well. Therefore, the working group believes that a more thorough and complete assessment is necessary before ATF can consider practical shooting as a generally recognized sporting purpose.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »
Meh.

Three-gun and subgun and precision rifle matches are all "sports."

Suck it, control freaks and those with fetishes for authoritah.   [ar15]

Yeah, anyone with a lick of sense knows that those are sports, but the BATFE in it's infinite (lack of) wisdom already decreed that USPSA/IPSA and other modern shooting competitions (you know, sports) can not be used as a basis for "sporting purpose."

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/012611-study-on-importality-of-certain-shotguns.pdf

I feel dirty just looking at that .pdf....

Edit to Add: Darn you Harold, posting that while I was still checking to make sure I was grabbing the right .pdf file.  :P

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »
Yeah, anyone with a lick of sense knows that those are sports, but the BATFE in it's infinite (lack of) wisdom already decreed that USPSA/IPSA and other modern shooting competitions (you know, sports) can not be used as a basis for "sporting purpose."
They're part of the same government that determined you don't have to participate in interstate commerce in order to participate in interstate commerce, so Orwellian doublespeak should be no surprise.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
I'm sure the success of "top shot" on TV,
really, really makes Sarah Brady a sad panda.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »
It is with deep sorrow that I announce I am stepping down as editor of Recoil, effective immediately.

It is very difficult for me to walk away from something I helped create, something that I loved doing, and something I firmly believed would appeal to a fresh new generation of gun enthusiasts, but I accept that the comments in my story in the current issue have made my position as editor of Reco
il untenable.

With that said, Recoil is bigger than any one person, and if my departure will allow Recoil to continue to grow and engage gun enthusiasts, then stepping down as editor is clearly the right thing for me to do.

I accept I made mistakes, and I apologize unreservedly for calling Recoil’s support for Second Amendment rights into question.

While I understand the passions aroused over this incident, the deeply hurtful words from some of my fellow gun enthusiasts have been painful to endure. I hope now we can all move on.

Finally, I would like to thank all those who have supported me over the past few days. These are the people who know me to be at heart a passionate gun enthusiast whose dream was to make something bold and new in firearms media.

Jerry Tsai

Seems that he lasted not long at all....from FB.

http://www.facebook.com/Recoil.gun.lifestyle
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »
While I understand the passions aroused over this incident, the deeply hurtful words from some of my fellow gun enthusiasts have been painful to endure. I hope now we can all move on.

That section made me giggle.

Some of the comments were indeed quite excellent.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 04:49:54 PM »
That section made me giggle.

Some of the comments were indeed quite excellent.

Yeah, whining about how mean people were to you is probably not the best response here. Moron.

Can't wait for this rag to go down in flames.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »
Yeah, whining about how mean people were to you is probably not the best response here. Moron.

Can't wait for this rag to go down in flames.

I wouldn't sully my fireplace by using it for tinder.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »
I wouldn't sully my fireplace by using it for tinder.

Oh, I intend on framing the magazine and putting it on my wall.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.