Author Topic: Tax On Amazon Purchases In CA Begins Sat.  (Read 2389 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Tax On Amazon Purchases In CA Begins Sat.
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »
McMaster is going to send a check to...the state of Texas, or what? And then the State is going to mail a check to my City?

That's how it works in Illinois.  The retailer (both B&M and on-line) collect the sales tax and send it to the state of Illinois.  The state is then supposed to send the appropriate "cut" to the county and the city/town/village where it was collected.   However because the state is broke, they have been withholding payments to the counties and cities/towns/villages.  It's a mess.    
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:11:00 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 01:06:28 PM »
I believe that is how it works in Texas also.  I recall seeing a note in a local small town paper once that metioned how much sales tax was returned to the city that month. 

I think the states have or publish tax rate schedules based on addresses and zip codes.  Also, being outside the state, they may just charge state tax anyway (I don't pay city tax when I buy something at a store outside the city limits).  At least then they have the states off their backs.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 04:33:32 PM »
If States continue this trend, I'll fund the used market or grey market activities.

Oklahoma "requires"  sales tax to be collected on used sales as well. Even supposed to collect sales tax at flea markets and yard sales and the like. There is a provision to submit "casual tax". It isn't enforced, yet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 11:31:43 PM »
Oklahoma "requires"  sales tax to be collected on used sales as well. Even supposed to collect sales tax at flea markets and yard sales and the like. There is a provision to submit "casual tax". It isn't enforced, yet.

Same for Iowa, there is even a spot on the income tax form to claim catalog and internet sales. No one fills it out that I know of.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536