Poll

If you are a read head do pain killers effect you differently?

No
1 (25%)
They don't work well
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Any red heads here?  (Read 2279 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Any red heads here?
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »
I've always noticed that I have to take a handful of Tylenol to get rid of a headache.
I hurt my back Thursday and Went to the doctor. Got anti inflammatory, muscle relaxers and pain killers. The pain killers have not worked at all. They were a 5/325 hydrocodone. I took 1 at 4pm another at 10 pm no relief. I took another 10mg oxy at 11pm still nothing. The only relief was that I passed out around 1am.
I was doing some searching on the subject I came up with this.
A mutation in the MC1R gene (which is what causes red hair) can also cause some sort of pain reduction, as well as a lesser sensitivity to anesthetics.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 07:43:21 PM by never_retreat »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Any red heads here?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »
I had a red-headed girlfriend who swore this was true.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 07:39:40 PM »
Ladypine says pain meds/anesthetic affects her more  =|

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »
Something about the abscence of a soul more then likely.... :-*
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
Not a redhead, but can vouch for high pain tolerance also means very tolerance for pain killers.  My dentist drills my teeth without Novocain as long as he goes slow; he thinks it's fascinating that I can take it.  But if I do need Novocain for something, it takes a *lot* of it and it's slow to act. 

Also if I need narcotics I take APAP 10-500's where most people would take 5-500's, and sometimes even that doesn't do much.
"It's good, though..."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 07:44:58 PM »
Something about the abscence of a soul more then likely.... :-*
This is more likely.
Red hair was thought to be a mark of a beastly sexual desire and moral degeneration.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »
This is more likely.
Red hair was thought to be a mark of a beastly sexual desire and moral degeneration.

Well, the red-headed former girlfriend was pretty good in the sack. I have learned that Ms. MillCreek does not wish to hear this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
I've woken up in surgery.  =D

Appendectomy back when I was 19 , and a heart cath I was supposed to be out for two years ago.

"Oh...that feels weird."

Then I hear the surgeon get irritable sounding.. Giving orders... "Push this... Push that  cc's something."
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 08:54:07 PM »

Is there a downside ?

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 09:26:57 PM »
Yeah, sometimes you marry them.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 09:36:35 PM »
I do remember a particular red head from my very distant past single life.  I would concur with Millcreek.  Lusty she was. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 10:17:44 PM »
Yeah, sometimes you marry them.

Wedding cake is a powerful ANTI-aphrodisaic  =(

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 01:03:41 AM »
I've woken up in surgery.  =D

Appendectomy back when I was 19 , and a heart cath I was supposed to be out for two years ago.

"Oh...that feels weird."

Then I hear the surgeon get irritable sounding.. Giving orders... "Push this... Push that  cc's something."

I'm not red headed. A little brown with a lot of grey.

I woke up in surgery. I said my right side hurt. The Dr said it can't hurt. What was my right side? I raised my right hand. He repeated that it can't be and said something to the anesthesiologist. I work up again. I heard, "Why the *expletive deleted*ck is that still bleeding?"

I put myself back to sleep at that point.

Lot's of ginger in the family from the Scot's and Irish. But I didn't get the hair.

When did you meet my wife?   ???

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 08:27:38 AM »
I've always noticed that I have to take a handful of Tylenol to get rid of a headache.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002598.htm

Poison ControlThe National Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) can be called from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.

This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call for any reason, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

See: Poison control center - emergency number

What to Expect at the Emergency RoomThe health care provider will measure and monitor the patient's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Blood tests will be done to check how much acetaminophen is in the blood. The patient may receive:

•Medicines to treat symptoms
•Activated charcoal
•Laxative
•Medicine (antidote) to reverse the effect of the poison
Outlook (Prognosis)If treatment is received within 8 hours of the overdose, there is a very good chance of recovery.

However, without rapid treatment, a very large overdose of acetaminophen can lead to liver failure and death in a few days.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 08:32:53 AM »

Maybe for the bride.....but it gets the bridesmaids rev'ed up..... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 11:00:49 AM »

However, without rapid treatment, a very large overdose of acetaminophen can lead to liver failure and death in a few days.

Yes you are almost correct, more than 4,000 mg a day can cause liver damage. Not necessary death.
A few months-mods

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »
Yes you are almost correct, more than 4,000 mg a day* can cause liver damage. Not necessary death.

*subject to other modifiers such as alcohol consumption, pre-existing liver conditions, use of other substances that can affect your liver, and individual sensitivity
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
Used to have red hair - when I *had* hair...

I've had dentistry done for years without novacainne. It makes the driller very aware of what he/she is doing. One dentist asked how I could stand it, and I replied that, if it hurt, I wouldn't do it.

I also have a high tolerance for certain pain relievers. Nitrous Oxide does absolutely nothing for me. Tylenol sucks (I use Ibuprofen). Vicodin has a very slight effect. Years ago, I allegedly tried smoking pot, which was a waste of effort. Could have been regular 'baccy. Friends allegedly swore it to be good stuff, as it (allegedly) had a significant effect on them.

Since my recent bout with a kidney stone cost the insurance company and me ~$3500, I've decided that future events will not go to the ER. I'm gonna grin and bear it. I did it before; I can do it again!

I am, after all, a Tough Mudder!  ;)

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
Not a redhead, but prescription meds don't work on me the way they do on some people. Some years ago after surgery I was prescribed Percocet and Tylenol 3. The Percocet just shut down about 50% of my brain cells (making me almost stupid enough to vote Democrat!  :O ) but . . . I still hurt. The Tylenol 3 was no better than common Tylenol at the maximum recommended dose; just threw the majority of both pills away. More recently I had some surgery on my hand, and was prescribed Vicodin; never bothered getting the prescription filled, one or two Tylenols the first day as the local wore off was all I needed or wanted. **

Could be genetic; my mother's not a redhead either, and after a heart bypass she was prescribed some pain meds, and they a) were no better than Tylenol; and b) weren't needed anyway.

I don't remember Dad ever taking any pain meds other than a rare aspirin.

( ** - Probably could have made a profit selling the leftovers, but not having any shady connections I know - I mean, I absolutely know - that anyone I'd try to sell to would be an undercover narc.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 11:32:55 AM »
Redhead Ladypine has high pain tolerance, but low tolerance for pain killers.  =|

She has the dentist use the minimum dose of a fast acting anesthetic - otherwise she is numb for a day or two afterwards.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »

Very dark brown hair.

Heh.
Dentist: "Wait, did the novacainne wear off?"
Me: "About five minutes after you injected it."
Dentist: "Why didn't you say something?"
Me: "Meh, it's not very bothersome. Actually, I was near napping the entire time."
Dentist: "I know, you started snoring."

Apparently, falling asleep while having teeth drilled with no local is not considered normal. I have a high pain threshold (usually), but pain meds don't seem to do a whole lot. 

No comment.  =D

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »
I don't like dentists.  I have a small mouth believe it or not and having two hands in there rooting around causes me several days worth of discomfort.
Then there is the time I had a navy doc attempt to pull my extracted wisdom teeth under local anestesia.  She botched it and was still inside my gums rooting around when the maximum novicane dose finally wore off.  Its a cautionary tale of life under socialized medicine.....
Despite my obviously Irish roots, I'm nowhere near ginger.  Which is good, since I rather like having a soul.
JD

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 01:14:31 PM »
The red that used to be found only in my beard has now gone gray...

I can handle pain pretty well. Anticipation of pain, not so much. [barf]
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 01:36:30 PM »
Pain tolerance is ok, mind you I have a lot of family tradition to live up to. The old guy has only been put under twice in his life, once when he was a kid and now for triple bypass. He had his appendectomy under local. Broken knee, walked in, didn't like the doctor's plan, walked out. Broken back, yeah probably. They gave him fentanyl post-op, he had to get off quick, really bad hallucinations.

I cannot take percocet. My one experience it made me homicidal. I kept the almost full bottle for a few years then trashed them. Gave the vicodin that I had been prescribed pre-surgery to my wife when her vicodin script ran out post pregnancy. Never took any.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.