Author Topic: Mitt Seems Confuddled  (Read 5854 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Mitt Seems Confuddled
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »
All the whining about taxes from R's and D's, shows how much we need to scrap the present system and have a flat tax of 10% across the board.  Every individual and every every business that is not a Sole Proprietor pays 10% of every dollar, no deductions, no matter where that dollar comes from, period.  Everybody has a dog in the fight and there is no room for whining.

Yes, and while we are at it let's eliminate all tax exempt institutions. 

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »
Every individual and every every business that is not a Sole Proprietor pays 10% of every dollar, no deductions, no matter where that dollar comes from, period.

What if the dollar is from your bank account ?  :P

And you want businesses to pay taxes on gross revenue with no consideration of dollars spent for inventory, payroll, equipment, etc  ???  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »
I agree with Ben, but you have to pay your taxes on Election Day at your Polling Place.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »
I agree with Ben, but you have to pay your taxes on Election Day at your Polling Place.

Oooh. :O Nice twist. :cool:
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »
All the whining about taxes from R's and D's, shows how much we need to scrap the present system and have a flat tax of 10% across the board.  Every individual and every every business that is not a Sole Proprietor pays 10% of every dollar, no deductions, no matter where that dollar comes from, period.  Everybody has a dog in the fight and there is no room for whining.

don't forget that the budget must not exceed the amount collected!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 03:02:35 PM »

All of them.  Income, Social Security, Medicare, State, Local, Property.   Will make for fun elections !!!

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »
I'm skeptical of polls in general (Didn't most polls have Mondale tied with Reagan until election night?) so I'm not going to get too excited when some pollster or analyst happens to put out something I happen like.

The bottom line is the only poll that counts is the one on election day, and in order to eke out a win, the Republican has to have enough of a margin to negate Democratic vote fraud. (Stuffed ballot boxes, hanging chads, etc., are the least of it.)
If you listen to Rush and others, most of the polls are over sampling Democrats by as much as 13% assuming Democrat voter enthusiasm is very high.  From what I have heard, that is definitely not the case. 

As already mentioned, only one poll counts.  The polling outfits can be wrong all year and only have to be right close to election time.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »

Oooh, SCOTUS is not enthused about anything that looks like a poll tax, going back to Reconstruction and Jim Crow. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 03:27:59 AM »
Oooh, SCOTUS is not enthused about anything that looks like a poll tax, going back to Reconstruction and Jim Crow. 

Oh, you can still vote, you just get hauled away by the IRS afterward if you don't pay up......  :police: :police: :police:

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 08:12:22 AM »
The narrative the media has built about Romney and the OMG! Gotcha! nature of their coverage might almost convince me to vote for him.

I'll grant you that the Romney campaign is no juggernaut but they are operating in an environment that is even more hostile than anything Bush had to deal with.

The gloves are off and the media isn't even hiding their bias. Most average Americans are so disconnected they don't see the bias. The media is propagandizing the uninformed, playing to their base (the left) and doesn't care about the conservatives or libertarians, except where they can sow conflict between them.

By beotching about the Romney campaign you run the risk of sounding like a member of our subversive Fourth Estate. That was really my point.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:35:41 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 10:32:36 AM »

I think a Constitutional Amendment that election day will now always be the first Tuesday before the final day that individual Income Taxes are due, would be a nice touch.

(Although it might backfire and remind freeloaders of exactly WHERE they got their $12,000 tax credit refund check after doing their taxes on their $30,000 of income that year...)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
I understand the objective behind having to paying taxes to vote, but I don't think that creating yet ANOTHER way to twist arms for collection of federal taxes is the way to go about it. It could have quite a few unintended consequences.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »
Y'all are going too far.  I think you can accomplish the same thing by just ending employer withholding.  Everyone pays quarterly or annually.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2012, 07:06:51 AM »
The narrative the media has built about Romney and the OMG! Gotcha! nature of their coverage might almost convince me to vote for him.

The gloves are off and the media isn't even hiding their bias. Most average Americans are so disconnected they don't see the bias. The media is propagandizing the uninformed, playing to their base (the left) and doesn't care about the conservatives or libertarians, except where they can sow conflict between them.

they're only biased when they not promoting my point of view!   =D
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2012, 09:34:24 AM »
they're only biased when they not promoting my point of view!   =D

Quoted. For. Truth.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »
The media is taking the 47% thing out of context.  Romney was at a fund raising event and those 47% would not likely contribute anything to his campaign.

Every individual and every every business that is not a Sole Proprietor pays 10% of every dollar, no deductions, no matter where that dollar comes from, period.

Less business expenses of course!

I actually prefer the "fair tax" with the states doing all tax collections on money spent.  I don't want to depend on quarterly or annual tax paymens for the majority of Americans.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »
Re media narrative. I watched CNN last night and they showed a poll to support their thesis that Mitt's bungled everything was giving the president a win despite his failings. The poll they used was likely voters in Nevada. Obama was 3% up. He won by 12% over McCain.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »
In the immortal words of the great Iowahawkblog, all polls are bulls***.

I loathe Romney and can't see myself voting for him, but he's not actually doing a bad job considering how unabashedly the media is propagandizing for Obama.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2012, 04:29:59 PM »

Don't vote for Romney.

Vote instead to neutralize the other guy who's voting for the Prevaricator In Chief.

Yes, that means checking the box by Romney's name, but just remind yourself that you're voting against the dude hitting America over the head with a brick.

As some of the other guys have already said, buy us some time.  If Mr. O-Logo gets another term, that line from Independence Day -- "Time's up!" -- will take on real meaning.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2012, 08:45:17 PM »
Don't vote for Romney.

Vote instead to neutralize the other guy who's voting for the Prevaricator In Chief.

Yes, that means checking the box by Romney's name, but just remind yourself that you're voting against the dude hitting America over the head with a brick.

As some of the other guys have already said, buy us some time.  If Mr. O-Logo gets another term, that line from Independence Day -- "Time's up!" -- will take on real meaning.

Obama with a strongly R House and Senate would probably do less damage than Bush 2.0 and party voting. Or Mitt could be bullied by conservative Congressfolk into doing a decent job. Too close to call at this point.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 11:56:51 PM »
We haven't exactly seen House Republicans use the power they have to resist the Obama juggernaut, have we?  Don't put too much faith in that "R."

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.