Author Topic: What happened to having overlords?  (Read 820 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
What happened to having overlords?
« on: September 21, 2012, 07:48:43 AM »
From Instapundit:

WELL, THIS IS THE 21ST CENTURY: It’s Time To Welcome Our New Robot Underlings.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/engineering/robots/its-time-to-welcome-our-robot-underlings-12858402?click=pm_latest

Yesterday Boston-based startup Rethink Robotics unveiled Baxter, maybe the only factory robot in living memory to generate prelaunch buzz.

Baxter is a vaguely humanoid model—a legless, two-armed, tablet-headed line worker. Its primary selling points are its low price—$22,000, exponentially less than most manufacturing bots—and the assurance that it won’t kill anyone. Baxter can perform a range of repetitive tasks without the need to retrofit assembly lines and with minimal investment. It can even be trained, with operators initially guiding it through specific motions. It’s the closest thing anyone has seen to a general-purpose blue-collar robot.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

dogmush

• friend
Re: What happened to having overlords?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:08:24 AM »
The UAW is going to *expletive deleted*it itself.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:31:19 AM »
Even in China, legions of robots are being built . . . these with knives!

http://laughingsquid.com/chinese-noodle-slicing-robot/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:39 AM »
While they tout the relatively low initial cost, they fail to mention the endless supply of malt liquor they'll need to keep functioning properly.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 09:38:53 AM »

It is going to get real interesting when technology becomes advanced enough to replace the overwhelming majority of repetitive tasks. It's happened in America. We still manufacture a LOT of things. With fewer and fewer people.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »
While they tout the relatively low initial cost, they fail to mention the endless supply of malt liquor they'll need to keep functioning properly.

No no no. This is the BAXTER model, not the Bender model.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »
It is going to get real interesting when technology becomes advanced enough to replace the overwhelming majority of repetitive tasks. It's happened in America. We still manufacture a LOT of things. With fewer and fewer people.

It's the twentieth twenty-first century.  We'll all be sitting on cushions and eating ice cream.

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »
The UAW is going to *expletive deleted* itself.
If they are smart, they will try to sneak some programming in to make it want to join a union and strike for higher wages.  Striking might be a problem, but getting to do a slow down would be easier.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »
Funny, I just finished, at lunchtime, reading Vonnegut's "Player Piano".
I, for one, welcome our new, robot designing and controlling overlords.
7-11 was a part time job.